Multi-user in JellyBean - root only works for one user?

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock N7 with 4.2.1 and rooted. Everything works OK in terms of rooted apps (SuperUser, SU, Titanium, etc.)

I setup a 2nd user account (Jellybean multi-user account function) and that works OK too.

However, when I login to the N7 as the 2nd user account, all root function is disabled. SuperUser is still there, but any apps requiring root like Titanium Backup no longer works.

Is there any way I can get the 2nd user account root access?

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock N7 with 4.2.1 and rooted. Everything works OK in terms of rooted apps (SuperUser, SU, Titanium, etc.)

I setup a 2nd user account (Jellybean multi-user account function) and that works OK too.

However, when I login to the N7 as the 2nd user account, all root function is disabled. SuperUser is still there, but any apps requiring root like Titanium Backup no longer works.

Is there any way I can get the 2nd user account root access?

No, my understanding is that the "main" user is the root user. Why would you want more than one user with root access? To likely that someone other than the "main" user could cause havoc and over ride the whole reason for multi user functionality. Each user having their own "space".

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have games that my kids installed in the main user account (the one with root). This was before the multi-user feature added to 4.2.1.

Now I want to move the games to the 2nd user account, including the saved data. I did Titanium Backup and I thought I can restore it to the 2nd user account.

However, the 2nd user account has no root so I cant do the restore. Even though Titanium Backup can be installed on the 2nd user account, it said no root privilege can be obtained.

Unless you have suggestion to transfer game data?

lizards4444

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
If you can, try using a root explorer to move it, while your in the main account

- - - Updated - - -

If you can, try using a root explorer to move it, while your in the main account

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

I tried, but not sure where all the data files are located. Many games, especially those with in-app purchases, have files all over the place.

I wonder if theatre is an app backup app (that's no typo) that doesn't require root...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781