Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Help! How can I use my micro USB without...

    Sorry if this has been asked before, or covered elswhere, or misplaced in the wrong section.

    How can I use my micro USB to connect a 3G moblie data dongle with an osg without paying for Nexus Media Importer or rooting my N7? Is it possible?

    And just how is it that Google consider it acceptable to limit how I may use MY device?

    Many thanks in advance for your help,

    Molepox
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Help! How can I use my micro USB without...

    Quote Originally Posted by Molepox View Post
    And just how is it that Google consider it acceptable to limit how I may use MY device?
    Molepox
    I'm afraid I can't really answer your first question, but as to this one, it is quite simple, they don't. You are free to do whatever you want with your Nexus 7 including using it as a frisbee.

    Google have their vision of how they want Android to be and they present it to you in the Nexus devices, but if you don't like it they give you the source code, they let you unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM, so you are free to flash a ROM someone else has customised, or you have the option to customise it yourself, I don't see how they are limiting what you can do with the hardware you bought.

    And why don't you want to root your device anyway? You can't complain about limits and then say you don't want root, it doesn't make sense.

    I suspect you'll need a custom ROM if you want to use a 3G dongle, I tried connecting my 3G dongle using a OTG cable (albeit without a SIM card in it because I didn't want to take the card out of my phone), the kernel recognised it, but I didn't get any options to use it (though this may be because there was no SIM card in it, but I doubt it).

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Help! How can I use my micro USB without...

    Quote Originally Posted by Molepox View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, or covered elswhere, or misplaced in the wrong section.

    How can I use my micro USB to connect a 3G moblie data dongle with an osg without paying for Nexus Media Importer or rooting my N7? Is it possible?

    And just how is it that Google consider it acceptable to limit how I may use MY device?

    Many thanks in advance for your help,

    Molepox
    Limiting a device isn't the same as it just not being designed to work that way out of the box.

    That's like saying Ford sucks because the car you bought doesn't fly, it wasn't meant to.

    You may be able to root it and enable IP over the USB port, I haven't seen that done yet though.

    Most people just root their phone, and tether over wifi to whatever device they want.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
  4. #4  
    hellhole's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help! How can I use my micro USB without...

    Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    I'm afraid I can't really answer your first question, but as to this one, it is quite simple, they don't. You are free to do whatever you want with your Nexus 7 including using it as a frisbee.

    Google have their vision of how they want Android to be and they present it to you in the Nexus devices, but if you don't like it they give you the source code, they let you unlock the bootloader and flash a custom ROM, so you are free to flash a ROM someone else has customised, or you have the option to customise it yourself, I don't see how they are limiting what you can do with the hardware you bought.

    And why don't you want to root your device anyway? You can't complain about limits and then say you don't want root, it doesn't make sense.

    I suspect you'll need a custom ROM if you want to use a 3G dongle, I tried connecting my 3G dongle using a OTG cable (albeit without a SIM card in it because I didn't want to take the card out of my phone), the kernel recognised it, but I didn't get any options to use it (though this may be because there was no SIM card in it, but I doubt it).

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I am able use a 3g dongle with an otg cable with the program ppp widget. Enable me to set the ApN. Rooted of course.

Similar Threads

  1. Can you use any micro-usb cord to charge a smartphone?
    By jerethi in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 11:13 PM
  3. How can I use my SD card?
    By Hurricane Moon in forum Motorola Xoom
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  4. How can I use my upgrade to buy a phone online?
    By withravenoushunger in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 02:21 AM
  5. How Can I Use My Own "Ringtone" For E-Mails...
    By TheNobleJustin in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Posting Permissions