Explain "rooting a device"

Josh Lindemann

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm a computer tech, so I do have a good understanding of things. But being that I'm new to the Android world the concept of "rooting" one's device is new to me. It sounds like I gain many features from doing such a thing. But could someone explain to me what it does exactly. And is it worth it?

Just trying to get a better idea of what it is and if something I should do.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm a computer tech, so I do have a good understanding of things. But being that I'm new to the Android world the concept of "rooting" one's device is new to me. It sounds like I gain many features from doing such a thing. But could someone explain to me what it does exactly. And is it worth it?

Just trying to get a better idea of what it is and if something I should do.

via The Android Dictionary | Android Central

Root: A method of unlocking the Android operating system to allow deeper programs deeper access than is allowed out of the box.

more: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Root is an app and a binary. The binary allows access to root level files and permissions normally not allowed to the user for your own protection as most users don't need them. The app (superuser or SuperSU) simply controls which apps you allow to have root access and manages their requests for it. Rooting a device in and of itself does not change the functionality at all, it gives you the ability to use apps which require root access.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49