Downgraded to 4.1.2 - Very Happy

dro855

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I posted this on the other popular forum, and figured I'd share it here as well......

I bought a Nexus 7 about a couple weeks ago, and was instantly disappointed by the washed out colors and lack of saturation. Also, I was having charging, lag, and Bluetooth issues. I tried the a custom ROM, kernel, hacks, and still wasn't happy with the performance or colors of the device. I had read all the threads, and pretty much decided to sell it. Before I did though, I decided to downgrade to the factory 4.1.2 OS, since many of the performance issues were caused by 4.2. Long story short: I will be keeping the N7 now. I haven't tested Bluetooth so far, but I haven't seen any of the performance issues so far. No lagging or glitchy behavior with any apps; especially when multitasking. I have all my apps, music, and videos loaded back on it, and all is good.

Interestingly enough, the colors actually look better as well. I noticed it pretty quickly, but since everything I read said it was an issue with the calibration, I didn't think it would be resolved by the downgrade. It was pretty much confirmed when I opened Facebook for the first time on 4.1.2. On 4.2, even the simple blue splash screen looked like it had a low bit rate. The best example would be the way a picture is degraded when saving in MS Paint, or when you set the display colors to 16-bit and get the circular wave pattern on the background. On 4.2, it was the normal smooth blue. Also, the colors don't look overexposed when the brightness is increased like before. Even when compared side-by-side with my RAZR M, the display looks more natural than it did on 4.2.

Its charging right now, and that is much faster as well. Yesterday, it was charging like 10-15% every hour, and now its charged about 10% in 20 minutes or so. I will update the thread as I continue to use it, but just wanted to put my experience out there. Also, it is rooted, but no custom ROM or kernel and I couldn't be happier.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on the other popular forum, and figured I'd share it here as well......

I bought a Nexus 7 about a couple weeks ago, and was instantly disappointed by the washed out colors and lack of saturation. Also, I was having charging, lag, and Bluetooth issues. I tried the a custom ROM, kernel, hacks, and still wasn't happy with the performance or colors of the device. I had read all the threads, and pretty much decided to sell it. Before I did though, I decided to downgrade to the factory 4.1.2 OS, since many of the performance issues were caused by 4.2. Long story short: I will be keeping the N7 now. I haven't tested Bluetooth so far, but I haven't seen any of the performance issues so far. No lagging or glitchy behavior with any apps; especially when multitasking. I have all my apps, music, and videos loaded back on it, and all is good.

Interestingly enough, the colors actually look better as well. I noticed it pretty quickly, but since everything I read said it was an issue with the calibration, I didn't think it would be resolved by the downgrade. It was pretty much confirmed when I opened Facebook for the first time on 4.1.2. On 4.2, even the simple blue splash screen looked like it had a low bit rate. The best example would be the way a picture is degraded when saving in MS Paint, or when you set the display colors to 16-bit and get the circular wave pattern on the background. On 4.2, it was the normal smooth blue. Also, the colors don't look overexposed when the brightness is increased like before. Even when compared side-by-side with my RAZR M, the display looks more natural than it did on 4.2.

Its charging right now, and that is much faster as well. Yesterday, it was charging like 10-15% every hour, and now its charged about 10% in 20 minutes or so. I will update the thread as I continue to use it, but just wanted to put my experience out there. Also, it is rooted, but no custom ROM or kernel and I couldn't be happier.

It is a stock rooted rom? Where did you get it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Jeanette Kinley

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Please tell me how you downgraded to 4.1. My Nexus 7 will not connect to WiFi since it updated to 4.2.1. I have only had it since Christmas. It was working fine until the update a few days later then CRASH. I took it to Walmart and a tech there downgraded it to 4.1. Somehow it has automatically upgraded to 4.2.1 again and CRASH again. I am technically challenged so "root" "ROM" "kernel" are lost on me. I have searched all over the web trying to find a way to downgrade. I would GREATLY appreciate your help!!! Thank you!!!

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Get Wug's Nexus Toolkit
WugFresh

Use the "Full Driver Installation" button to guide you through the driver setup.
Use the "Flash Stock + Unroot" button to install the factory image for 4.1.

yanks528

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just did the same thing. Got it on Christmas. It updated when I set it up. Had problems with lagging, WiFi, no Bluetooth, scroll stutter. Was very unhappy with it. It it so much better now I can't believe it. It runs perfectly smooth. Going back to 4.1.2 worked great. I would definitely do it if you ate having any of the issues that have been mentioned in many of the threads. Used the wugfresh tool kit. Followed the instructions. Took about 15 minutes and it was done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dro855

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You can definitely use Wug's kit, although I used the tutorial on this forum to do so. Its more manual I think, but very straight forward, simple, and fast. Plus you learn a little while you do it. Once you have everything you need, it doesn't take more than 10 or 15 mins. You can get the official stock ROMs directly from Google's page

Tutorial I used
http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-rooting-roms-hacks/191477-guide-nexus-7-factory-image-restore.html

Google Official Images
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

dro855

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Please tell me how you downgraded to 4.1. My Nexus 7 will not connect to WiFi since it updated to 4.2.1. I have only had it since Christmas. It was working fine until the update a few days later then CRASH. I took it to Walmart and a tech there downgraded it to 4.1. Somehow it has automatically upgraded to 4.2.1 again and CRASH again. I am technically challenged so "root" "ROM" "kernel" are lost on me. I have searched all over the web trying to find a way to downgrade. I would GREATLY appreciate your help!!! Thank you!!!

It should not automatically upgrade once back on 4.1.2. It will, however, constantly remind you to update which becomes very annoying. To resolve both issues, I downloaded Autorun Manager from the market. This program will allow you to stop the Startup process that checks for updates; hence, no update or notification to do so.

Here is how to stop the notification(Sorry, but you must be Rooted)
- Download AutoRun Manager and open it
- Choose Advanced Mode
- Click Settings (Wrench Icon)
- Choose "Enable system app disable" and go back to the processes
- Find Google Services Framework and expand it
- Disable process "com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateServices$Receiver"
- No More notification

Note: If you can manually downgrade to 4.1.2, then rooting will be a breeze. Give it a shot.

dro855

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess you were one of the lucky ones. Given the ton of post and articles, it seems to be more with the issue than not. I could be wrong though; I just know my N7 sucked until I downgraded.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The bugs in the latest OS have all been ironed out, one by one, as apps have been updated. My Nexus 7 has been perfect for weeks, now.

There is no reason to go back.

dro855

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll upgrade when more people say the same. Its really no biggie to be on 4.1.2 for me. It works, its fast, it rooted, im good for now.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
These links for downgrading look good...

Anything for 4.2?

I'd go back to 4.1, but gesture typing is far too good to give up, despite the power drain it brought. It wasn't until after 4.2 that everything went wrong for me, from crappy power to sluggishness/freezing/activity chrome has stopped etc

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Why not flash a ROM instead of downgrading? I'd try that before downgrading.

My tablet was a bit too laggy while running stock, so I flashed AOKP, and now it runs much, much better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy