16GB nexus 7 only showing 8GB of space on SD after flash JDQ39

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I unlocked flashed a recovery then rooted. Then I borked my system.img when trying to install a "browser/flash.zip" so i installed the factory image i downloaded from google and ever since its only read 8GB worth of SDCARD space. I installed 02/22/2013 nightly of CM10.1 and it still shows not enough space. The recovery i have installed is TWRP. I'm backing up the entire contents of my SDCARD to my computer right now and I'm thinking i should be able to format the SDCARD with fastboot or something. maybe adb? am i going anyway in the right direction? any help would be especially appreciated

Branflake

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I unlocked flashed a recovery then rooted. Then I borked my system.img when trying to install a "browser/flash.zip" so i installed the factory image i downloaded from google and ever since its only read 8GB worth of SDCARD space. I installed 02/22/2013 nightly of CM10.1 and it still shows not enough space. The recovery i have installed is TWRP. I'm backing up the entire contents of my SDCARD to my computer right now and I'm thinking i should be able to format the SDCARD with fastboot or something. maybe adb? am i going anyway in the right direction? any help would be especially appreciated

I have just realised I have the same problem. Got a 32GB model and it only shows 8GB after reflashing the stock image. Would be interested to hear if you find a solution to this.

Edit: A factory reset from the option in the OS has resolved this

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Download a file manager like es file explorer and then tell me if you have an sdcard 0 folder

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 running AOKP 4.2.2

No,you did not misread that

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I do have SDcard0 is inside /storage. Cm10.1 comes with cm file manager with root capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I do have SDcard0 is inside /storage. Cm10.1 comes with cm file manager with root capabilities.

So you have a duplicate folder with the same stuff that is on your regular sd card?

This is why u have only 8gbs left

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 running AOKP 4.2.2

No,you did not misread that

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it looks like there are a lot sym links around on here but rt these are my two choices. Which one should I keep and which to get rid of? I got the whole SD backed up to my PC anyway so not much risk involved

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361799960361.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361799960361.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 18
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it looks like there are a lot sym links around on here but rt these are my two choices. Which one should I keep and which to get rid of? I got the whole SD backed up to my PC anyway so not much risk involved

I forget but the one that has your backups, like your cmw backups, you transfer those backups to your current sdcard, and anything else in there u need, then feel free to delete it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
checked into it farther and i ended up NANDing back to stock rom, fastboot flashed stock recovery.img, unrooted, did factory reset, now i got it showing 16 gigs and im in the process of rerooting and getting back to cm10.1/trininty and keeping the 16 gig. first thing im doing next is installing TWRP and making a backup at this unrooted 16 gig state.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Made a back up of my stock ROM unrooted and just restored my back up of cm10.1/Trinity and it shows 13 gigs free in storage! Yay success

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Made a back up of my stock ROM unrooted and just restored my back up of cm10.1/Trinity and it shows 13 gigs free in storage! Yay success

Probably didn't need to go through all that, all I did was copied what I needed, deleted the folder and got my space back. But glad your device is back how it should be

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably didn't need to go through all that, all I did was copied what I needed, deleted the folder and got my space back. But glad your device is back how it should be

I forget but the one that has your backups, like your cmw backups, you transfer those backups to your current sdcard, and anything else in there u need, then feel free to delete it

OK I deleted the 'legacy' folder it erased both my SD card and the 0 folder. I started adding back the files I want from dropbox but I now have 2 folders again.
[Edit] Which folder exactly should I delete?

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nexus 7

Last edited:

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I think all those folders are all symlinks to dev/media. I think when we flashed jdq39 with fastboot it made dev/media only 8 gigs big so one img will work with all three models 8, 16, 32 gig. When you restore a backup or wipe with TWRP if you watch the output it says "without wiping dev/media" I think the stock recovery us needed to successfully write dev/media. Just my thoughts please correct me if I'm wrong

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think all those folders are all symlinks to dev/media. I think when we flashed jdq39 with fastboot it made dev/media only 8 gigs big so one img will work with all three models 8, 16, 32 gig. When you restore a backup or wipe with TWRP if you watch the output it says "without wiping dev/media" I think the stock recovery us needed to successfully write dev/media. Just my thoughts please correct me if I'm wrong

So if I return to stock 4.2.2 it will correct the problem? Then re-root and flash CM 10.1 again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Return to stock ROM and stock recovery and then boot ROM and run

System settings>Backups & reset > factory data reset

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361972320214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361972320214.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 10

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Return to stock ROM and stock recovery and then boot ROM and run

System settings>Backups & reset > factory data reset

Ok. I'm about to run a quick back up then I'll given this a try.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD