Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Default 16GB nexus 7 only showing 8GB of space on SD after flash JDQ39

I unlocked flashed a recovery then rooted. Then I borked my system.img when trying to install a "browser/flash.zip" so i installed the factory image i downloaded from google and ever since its only read 8GB worth of SDCARD space. I installed 02/22/2013 nightly of CM10.1 and it still shows not enough space. The recovery i have installed is TWRP. I'm backing up the entire contents of my SDCARD to my computer right now and I'm thinking i should be able to format the SDCARD with fastboot or something. maybe adb? am i going anyway in the right direction? any help would be especially appreciated
    beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04

Thumbs up Re: 16GB nexus 7 only showing 8GB of space on SD after flash JDQ39

Quote Originally Posted by A-android-B View Post
    I unlocked flashed a recovery then rooted. Then I borked my system.img when trying to install a "browser/flash.zip" so i installed the factory image i downloaded from google and ever since its only read 8GB worth of SDCARD space. I installed 02/22/2013 nightly of CM10.1 and it still shows not enough space. The recovery i have installed is TWRP. I'm backing up the entire contents of my SDCARD to my computer right now and I'm thinking i should be able to format the SDCARD with fastboot or something. maybe adb? am i going anyway in the right direction? any help would be especially appreciated
    I have just realised I have the same problem. Got a 32GB model and it only shows 8GB after reflashing the stock image. Would be interested to hear if you find a solution to this.

Edit: A factory reset from the option in the OS has resolved this
    Last edited by Branflake; 02-24-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Default Re: 16GB nexus 7 only showing 8GB of space on SD after flash JDQ39

Download a file manager like es file explorer and then tell me if you have an sdcard 0 folder

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 running AOKP 4.2.2

No,you did not misread that
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Yeah I do have SDcard0 is inside /storage. Cm10.1 comes with cm file manager with root capabilities.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    lubuntu 12.04

Yeah I do have SDcard0 is inside /storage. Cm10.1 comes with cm file manager with root capabilities.

So you have a duplicate folder with the same stuff that is on your regular sd card?

This is why u have only 8gbs left

Sent from my Samsung galaxy s3 running AOKP 4.2.2

No,you did not misread that
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Yeah it looks like there are a lot sym links around on here but rt these are my two choices. Which one should I keep and which to get rid of? I got the whole SD backed up to my PC anyway so not much risk involved

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16GB nexus 7 only showing 8GB of space on SD after flash JDQ39-uploadfromtaptalk1361799960361.jpg  
    lubuntu 12.04

Yeah it looks like there are a lot sym links around on here but rt these are my two choices. Which one should I keep and which to get rid of? I got the whole SD backed up to my PC anyway so not much risk involved

I forget but the one that has your backups, like your cmw backups, you transfer those backups to your current sdcard, and anything else in there u need, then feel free to delete it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

checked into it farther and i ended up NANDing back to stock rom, fastboot flashed stock recovery.img, unrooted, did factory reset, now i got it showing 16 gigs and im in the process of rerooting and getting back to cm10.1/trininty and keeping the 16 gig. first thing im doing next is installing TWRP and making a backup at this unrooted 16 gig state.
    lubuntu 12.04
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Made a back up of my stock ROM unrooted and just restored my back up of cm10.1/Trinity and it shows 13 gigs free in storage! Yay success

lubuntu 12.04

Made a back up of my stock ROM unrooted and just restored my back up of cm10.1/Trinity and it shows 13 gigs free in storage! Yay success

Probably didn't need to go through all that, all I did was copied what I needed, deleted the folder and got my space back. But glad your device is back how it should be

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Probably didn't need to go through all that, all I did was copied what I needed, deleted the folder and got my space back. But glad your device is back how it should be

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I forget but the one that has your backups, like your cmw backups, you transfer those backups to your current sdcard, and anything else in there u need, then feel free to delete it

OK I deleted the 'legacy' folder it erased both my SD card and the 0 folder. I started adding back the files I want from dropbox but I now have 2 folders again.
    [Edit] Which folder exactly should I delete?

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nexus 7
    Last edited by efyoiphone; 02-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

I think all those folders are all symlinks to dev/media. I think when we flashed jdq39 with fastboot it made dev/media only 8 gigs big so one img will work with all three models 8, 16, 32 gig. When you restore a backup or wipe with TWRP if you watch the output it says "without wiping dev/media" I think the stock recovery us needed to successfully write dev/media. Just my thoughts please correct me if I'm wrong

lubuntu 12.04

I think all those folders are all symlinks to dev/media. I think when we flashed jdq39 with fastboot it made dev/media only 8 gigs big so one img will work with all three models 8, 16, 32 gig. When you restore a backup or wipe with TWRP if you watch the output it says "without wiping dev/media" I think the stock recovery us needed to successfully write dev/media. Just my thoughts please correct me if I'm wrong

So if I return to stock 4.2.2 it will correct the problem? Then re-root and flash CM 10.1 again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    it changes so much

Return to stock ROM and stock recovery and then boot ROM and run

System settings>Backups & reset > factory data reset

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16GB nexus 7 only showing 8GB of space on SD after flash JDQ39-uploadfromtaptalk1361972320214.jpg  
    lubuntu 12.04

Return to stock ROM and stock recovery and then boot ROM and run

System settings>Backups & reset > factory data reset

Ok. I'm about to run a quick back up then I'll given this a try.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD