Ota 4.3 update and keeping root

yanks528

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got the ota. I'm rooted. Ota rootkeeper says it is not compatible with 4.3. Anyone know if I will lose root when I install it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got the ota. I'm rooted. Ota doorkeeper says it is not compatible with 4.3. Anyone know if I will lose root when I install it.

you most probably will lose root.what recovery do you use? update to latest recovery. I use rom manager to update CWM from Android.

after the update grab the latest superuser app zip file and install it from the recovery. thats it. its simple

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Apologies.. this should be put in this section as well, but here is an announcement thread regarding root I posted in the N4 section a little while ago: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...rning-root-users-regarding-android-4-3-a.html

Long story short, you can get root by flashing Chainfire's SuperSU v1.43 app in recovery (use TWRP recovery, per recommendations), but it's not perfect right now, as there have been security changes to Android in 4.3 that the dev community is still wrestling with at the moment. If you keep an eye on that thread I'll be updating when I find out any more news, or you can watch Koush on G+ as well as Chainfire for info as well.

yanks528

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Installed update. Lost root. But seems to be pretty much the same as it was before. I'll wait a little while to root again. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution soon. Thanks to all of you out there who do all of the hard work.

madwoollything

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I too have just upgraded to 4.3 and didn't realise that I'd need to 'manually re-root'.

Reading this tread suggests that the solution is out there but not working brilliantly yet.

Any chance someone could help with a simple 'step-by-step' guide on how to re-root when the tools are available? (preferably not requiring connection to a PC)

I'm not very experienced on 'rooting' and don't want to lose all the data & apps on my Nexus and I'm sure there will be many others who would also appreciate a simple guide.

Last edited:

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I did the update through the custom recovery OTA zip. Kept data, but lost root and custom recovery. I used Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit and chose the Root and Install Custom Recovery option. It does require connecting your original N7 cable to a pc, but provides a way to install all the proper drivers to do so. You will only lose data if you have to unlock your bootloader. After Wugs, I want into custom recovery and installed Chainfire's SuperSu v1.43 to regain root. (It has been updated to v1.51 now, I think).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I too have just upgraded to 4.3 and didn't realise that I'd need to 'manually re-root'.

Reading this tread suggests that the solution is out there but not working brilliantly yet.

Any chance someone could help with a simple 'step-by-step' guide on how to re-root when the tools are available? (preferably not requiring connection to a PC)

I'm not very experienced on 'rooting' and don't want to lose all the data & apps on my Nexus and I'm sure there will be many others who would also appreciate a simple guide.

You'll need to connect to your PC as you need to fastboot flash recovery, then boot into the recovery and flash either SuperSU or superuser. SuperSU is supposedly stable enough now while superuser is in beta3 (more info and links available in the thread I linked to earlier)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2