Looking for guide to update from 4.2 to latest (4.4.3?) on an already rooted Nexus 7

Louis6507

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I already have a rooted Nexus 7 (2012) running Jellybean. I've had that OTA notification for so long now I can't even remember. I wanted to wait before updating so all of my apps would work and hopefully any bugs would be fixed.

So, now I'm searching all over for a step-by-step on what I need to do to update and still have everything as close to it currently is. (apps, settings, preferences, saved files like pictures notifications, etc...)

I used WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit when I first rooted my 4.2

If someone could please just link me to a guide (or YouTube) of how to do this, I'd appreciate it. For whatever reason, my Google skills are failing to find what I need. The only thing I've learned so far is that if I try updating while I'm rooted...I'm going to have a bad time. I want to have good times. Not bad. ^_~ Please help.

Thank you.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If you're using Wug's it's easy. Painless actually. First and foremost, back up your device. Personally I would copy any photos, files, data, anything you want to keep onto your computer first. I prefer to do a total wipe and start fresh, then when I'm done I re-download my apps and transfer my files back.

Anyway, since you use Wug's I'll assume you know your way around it. All you're gonna need is this link

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=zh-tw

Make sure you select the correct factory image (4.4.2 for "Nakasi" Nexus 7 tablet). If you download and try to install the wrong one, bad things can happen. Wugs should warn you but still - pay attention.

Use your recovery to wipe data/dalvik/cache. Let it boot up, skip through the setup stuff (don't sign into Google). Use Wugs to update your factory image. You will probably have to re-root your tablet. The bootloader should remain unlocked. Once you've updated you can either restore your apps+data from your backup, or redownload your apps from the Playstore. I would recommend re-downloading the apps and transfering your files back from the computer. I've had less conflicts this way.

Good luck.

Louis6507

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
It failed while Flash stock +Unroot
I tried to copy the log file but accidentally hit a key and closed the window.
Now it tells me "Booting failed" and if I try to flash again through WUG, it tells me it "ABD device not found" which makes sense.
Could you please tell me what I should do now?

I was able to get the log, by selecting the soft-bricked/bootloop option.

Should I now try it with the option "Force Flash Mode"?

Code:
Flash Stock + Unroot...
 ------------------------------------------------------------------

erasing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.024s]
finished. total time: 0.025s
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.090s]
finished. total time: 0.090s
erasing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.025s]
finished. total time: 0.025s
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  0.116s]
finished. total time: 0.116s
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [  4.941s]
finished. total time: 4.941s

sending 'bootloader' (3911 KB)...
OKAY [  0.487s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 0.724s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.020s]
finished. total time: 0.020s

sending 'radio' (16384 KB)...
OKAY [  1.971s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [  1.757s]
finished. total time: 3.728s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.020s]
finished. total time: 0.020s

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 4.18
Baseband Version.....: 1231_0.18.0_0409
Serial Number........: 015d41d859481419
--------------------------------------------
checking product...
OKAY [  0.040s]
checking version-bootloader...
FAILED

Device version-bootloader is '4.18'.
Update requires '4.23'.

finished. total time: 0.200s

UPDATE: I think I have discovered the problem of having the wrong bootloader img in the update file. I have found the "correct/fixed" bootloader for version 4.23. So, should I just copy and replace the bootloader in C:\Program Files\WugFresh Development\data\Factory_Images\nakasig-kot49h-factory-83d93b5f then flash again?

Last edited:

Louis6507

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: Thank you Dancing-Bass! I decided to just go ahead and try my theory and it worked perfectly. But, I never would have done this without your initial post pointing me in the right direction and getting me started. So, thank you! ^_^

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't available to help earlier but I'm glad you figured it out on your own... Its a great feeling to be able to solve problems like that all on your own!

Glad I could be of some help. Keep learning :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12