How to root your Nexus 7 (2012)

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The link in the first post will work all Nexus devices all the way back to the original Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 5 and 10. I successfully used it to unlock and root my 2012 Nexus 7. Everything was simple, straightforward, and easy.

hkj324

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have tried to use the toollkit and it allows me to unlock my bootloader but when I try to root nothing happens and I have 2012 Nexus 7 wi fi on 4.4.3
I have had nothing but 'issues' with so many things on my Nexus7 (2012) since the day, back in Dec 2014, when they sent the Lollipop 5.0 to me and I made the HUGE mistake in putting it on the tablet. Battery time, wifi dropping or showing NOT on when it IS connected, MULTIPLE pages 'locked up', to the point I JUST WANT KIT KAT BACK! I even tried REformatting the thing several times and REmoving ALL apps that didn't come with the Nexus7, and that helped a lot, until this past month when the Lollipop 5.0.1 showed up and I thought, STUPIDLY once again, that maybe Google had MANY fixes to this debacle, and downloaded it (when took all night to do for some reason). Now, My wifi is back to appearing like it is disconnected with a ! next to the icon on the dashboard most of the time and when I go to settings and check, wifi is indeed 'connected'. The battery now is WORSE THAN EVER! If I play solitaire or browse for 1-2 hours, it goes from 100% to 23%...:eek:, and then TAKES 24-36 HOURS to fully charge, on a working rapid charger (recharges my phone in 1 hr or less). So here are my questions:
WIll using this toolkit help on the Lollipop installed? I truly am not happy with Lollipop and would prefer to return to KitKat if possible (and apparently others have done it successfully, so I am hopeful).
Where is a good and reliable info source that has the steps I need to take my Nexus7 (2012) back to KitKat? I am fairly proficient in following directions well, just not a 'puter geek/nerd that can write code etc. At this point, the tablet is useless to me and I have NOTHING to lose, so I may as well 'give it a whirl' and learn something new. Yes, I can Google it or use Youtube, but this WugFresh site seems to be a major 'go to' site and I'd like to remain here if possible.
In advance, thanks for any/all assist you provide.

havensed

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Refer to wugs kit on the first post. When you install to your computer make sure you update it to the 2.05 model....you can force flash almost any software to that tablet..

sent from LGG3 with lollipop

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had nothing but 'issues' with so many things on my Nexus7 (2012) since the day, back in Dec 2014, when they sent the Lollipop 5.0 to me and I made the HUGE mistake in putting it on the tablet.

hkj324,

I'm with you on this! Google has "Hosed" my first 2012 N7 8GB with all the LolliCrap updates, fortunately I refused to update my 2nd 2012 N7 32GB model, but some of their other compatibility apps have still crippled it somewhat even though I still have KK 4.4.4.

And before anyone makes the assertion that it's must have been a bad "over-lay" install of LolliCrap, I wiped that N& CLEAN and reinstalled 5.02 and it's still a useless device. I am so pissed at Google, I will never buy anything that they sell with Android on it. They cannot be trusted to not screw things up .... I'd rather have a new MSFT Surface Pro tablet now!

Still I want to return my #1 unit back to KitKat 4.4.4 via Rooting it and if all goes well, do the same with the 2nd 32GB N7. So lets share this experiment of Back the N7's past via Rooting.

Ozarknature

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a wifi 2012 Nexus 7 which I've upgraded to Lollipop. Sadly, as so many other owners of this model have learned, Lollipop has pretty much "bricked" my tablet. So I'm trying to decide if it will help me get the functionality of this device back if I can somehow re-install KitKat and/or if rooting it will make a difference. At this point it's pretty much useless as well as out of warranty so I'm not too worried about screwing it up. If a root and/or a revert will make it useful again I'm up for it.

That said, I've never rooted a device, so I want to find a reliable, understandable guide. I have tried to consult the FAQ listed above but when I go to that web page I get this: "Error establishing a database connection" message. If anyone can advise me, I'd be very happy!

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Ozarknature,

Yes you can and should Root your N7 2012 and reinstall KK .4.4.4. I've done it to my 2012 N7 8GB and it will be like it was before Google hosed us. I'll try to find a tutorial to guide you through the Rooting and through the reinstall of OEM KK 4.4.4. You will have to download the original KitKat 4.4.4 and store it on the PC you will be using via a USB 2.0 to Micro USB tether. The Root tool I used was I believe WUGfresh, but I'll check.

I have all the links and files I used on my other Notebook at the office, which I'll be back to next week. Be patient and I'll try to steer you in the right direction, maybe with some help from others more advanced too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall