Flashing to 4.4.4: stuck at "sending 'system' (644062 KB)..."

PastorJerryP

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Been having problems reverting my Nexus 7 (2012) back to Android 4.4.4 (was really frustrated with Lollipop!!!!)

Presently stuck using fastboot, trying to get the system.img to flash, from Terminal on my MacBook (OSX10.6). The Nexus has its system wiped (will only boot into Fastboot, not into operating system.

The image-nakasi-ktu84p (4.4.4) package didn't work (./flash-all.sh), so I was flashing the individual .img files I had unpacked stored in a folder (directory) "kitkat" on my desktop. Had success with bootloader-grouper-4.23.img, boot.img, and recover.img.

I get stuck with the system file - It takes about several minutes before Terminal says, "erasing 'system' ... " and then gives the message, "sending 'system'... " and never finishes. After an hour, I can pull the USB cable, and immediately get a FAIL message. See terminal log below:

JMacBook:kitkat jerry$ fastboot devices
015d3b6618081805 fastboot
JMacBook:kitkat jerry$ fastboot flash system system.img
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [ 0.409s]
sending 'system' (644062 KB)...
ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002ed
FAILED (data transfer failure (Invalid argument))
finished. total time: 3304.006s
JMacBook:kitkat jerry$

I've run into this several times. Any ideas?

Other background info: I'm using the Nexus Tools on the Mac for fastboot

After running into this problem repeatedly, I tried loading the Nexus Root Toolkit on our older PC Thinkpad. But since I'm already past communicating with the Tablet's operating system (which currently doesn't exist), I've not been able to get to the place of trying that route for flashing the system.img file.

HELP! Would appreciate ideas beyond bashing my head against the wall some more.
NOTE: since I'm new, this isn't letting me post the links to the sources of my info above. Sorry.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FIrst you said you had access to a PC, even an older one..

You could try grabbing and using Wugs Toolkit and see if that gets you past this hurdle. I've said it a bunch of times I'm not a big fan of tool kits and one clicks but sometimes they really do serve the purpose and get you past the impossible.

Also if that is not an option, make sure you are doing reboots of the bootloader after each flashing. Example..

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
**** Process completes ****
fastboot reboot bootloader
*** System reboots ***
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
**** Process completes ****
fastboot reboot bootloader

Repeat the process. See if that helps.

PastorJerryP

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, Paul,
I'll try the rebooting. The Wugs Toolkit is what I referred to above, already have. There might be a way to use it, but following the directions at this site (I'l try to put it in without getting caught:
nexusandme com/revert-back-from-android-l-to-kitkat/ ),
I get to a point on Step 4 of the "Full Driver Configuration Guide" where the "Full Driver Test" is - and don't succeed.
I've tried to go ahead to main menu's "Back to Stock: Flash stock + Unroot" but, if I remember correctly, got stuck when the program couldn't find the "Factory Image file" in the designated directory on my desktop.

As I said, I'll try the rebooting, and report.

PastorJerryP

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Another Q, Paul:

Does it matter whether to reboot bootloader by the fastboot menu, or by the buttons on the side of the tablet? I've been doing the latter, but not between the series of flashes.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It shouldn't matter, but yeah I know I've looked over the scripts I think from Google's flash.all/ and tool kits, it pushes the reboot after each stage of flashing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It shouldn't matter, but yeah I know I've looked over the scripts I think from Google's flash.all/ and tool kits, it pushes the reboot after each stage of flashing.
I've tried to go ahead to main menu's "Back to Stock: Flash stock + Unroot" but, if I remember correctly, got stuck when the program couldn't find the "Factory Image file" in the designated directory on my desktop.
It should give you the option to for the tool kit to download the factory images for you.

Toolkit example.png

PastorJerryP

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Just had success via my Mac OSX Terminal route - decided to download the 4.4.4 package and unpack it again, put the new version of the system.img file in the proper directory on my desktop, and tried again. It worked relatively quickly; less than 1/2 a minute to get to "erasing system", and then (ONLY) 2 minutes of "sending system" , and about 40 seconds of "writing system".

I had been concerned about the USB connection, but it seems like it was a file issue. But thanks for your input, Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers