New Nexus 7 Dock?

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Was there any mention of a dock? I noticed in the pics that there doesn't appear to be any pogo pins, so my initial thought of getting to use one of the originals, that took nearly 9 months (cannot recall exactly) to hit the market, won't do me any good. I use it at work for listening to podcasts and would like to put it in a dock to charge or play music. Maybe I will get it and it won't be a big deal, depending on the case I get, if it's like the Poetic I have on my current N7.

Thoughts?

Cheers :)

arkhunter

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like to know if the old dock works with the new Nexus 7 too. I don't know how it could since there are no contacts for the pins on the side though. I'd hate to have wasted $60 or whatever ridiculous amount that dock cost when it FINALLY came out. Maybe it has a inductive charger like the HP touch pad. (I wish but that would probably add weight and size to it. I picked up the new Nexus 7 at Best Buy yesterday and it felt SUPER light. Even with the security thing stuck on the back!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
No need for a dock. It supports the QI wireless charging standard. You just set the tablet on a charging pad and it starts charging.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like to know if the old dock works with the new Nexus 7 too. I don't know how it could since there are no contacts for the pins on the side though. I'd hate to have wasted $60 or whatever ridiculous amount that dock cost when it FINALLY came out. Maybe it has a inductive charger like the HP touch pad. (I wish but that would probably add weight and size to it. I picked up the new Nexus 7 at Best Buy yesterday and it felt SUPER light. Even with the security thing stuck on the back!

The new N7 does not have the pogo pins, and is a different shape, so it won't work in the cradle for the first gen N7.

sirmeili

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No need for a dock. It supports the QI wireless charging standard. You just set the tablet on a charging pad and it starts charging.

Personally, I prefer the almost vertical stance of the 2012 dock over the horizontal position of most of the QI charging mats. the only thing close is the TYLT VU, but it's closer to 45 degrees and I want almost vertical. I use the 2012 dock to use my tablet as a bed side clock and weather station (thanks to beautiful widgets daydream) when I'm not using the tablet itself.

There is also the possibility of using the audio out on the dock to hook it up a speaker/amplifier (or headset) that can stay permanently connected. So for me, the 2013 model of the Nexus7, while faster and has a better screen, has actually lost functionality in my mind until someone can release a near vertical QI charging dock that incorporates BT or something for audio out (doesn't have to be a speaker, it oculd just have an audio jack out). I nice addition would be a NFC tag so that it auto pairs the BT. The nice thing about the pogo pins was that it meant I could just drop it in and it would charge and if I wanted to immediately hook it up to a receiver/amplifier/speaker without me having to manually hook it up every time.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you prefer vertical and are OK with landscape orientation get a charger that holds the device upright like the Nokia 910. As I mentioned previously it works fine with the Nexus 7. Also, the stand leaves all ports accessible.

I found the old stand to be not hold the nexus very tight so it kept disconnecting when I touched the screen or when I bumped it or closed my desk drawer too hard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tall Tyke

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
The new N7 does not have the pogo pins, and is a different shape, so it won't work in the cradle for the first gen N7.

Thanks for the info YAYTech ... that's certainly made my mind up, that I'll NOT be getting the new Nexus 7 - really like the old dock; makes a nice clock at a nice angle when not in use ( & charging up ) !

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info YAYTech ... that's certainly made my mind up, that I'll NOT be getting the new Nexus 7 - really like the old dock; makes a nice clock at a nice angle when not in use ( & charging up ) !

You might keep an eye out for a QI standard wireless charging stand, which would let you do the same thing with the new version. But that is an additional investment of at least about $30, and for a stand style one, probably more like $60+. It all adds up. The new N7 is sweet, but if the old one meets your needs, it makes sense to stick with it. Could buy you enough time until whatever the "next big thing" is that comes out.

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
One thing I may suggest is a simple DIY dock by getting a Qi charging plate and a tablet stand. You can either half-*** it and just tape or hang the plate in the right spot, or get all fancy and paint it to look nice. That way you could have a stand that holds the tablet at the height and angle you want and can charge it at the same time. A standing Qi charger itself seems too expensive at this time. Throw on a cheap NFC tag and set it to go into whatever mode you want when it is on the stand and your good to go.

Might even be a fun weekend project for you.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Id be scared to use one of those.....seems like an accident waiting to happen using that type in the portrait mode. At some point....leverage + gravity will not be your friend and result in something like... "oh man...i bumped it off the stand and the micro usb tab ripped off inside the tablet and the screen cracked" :'( That's what comes to mind when I look at those types of docks.

I would much rather put a QI charger on some sort of cheap stand and make a DIY low cost one instead. Kind of like a home made TYLT VU. (HINT HINT TO AN INSPIRING ENTREPRENEUR !)

mark zip

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I, too, am sorry that we cannot use the new N7 in the old dock. And that there is not the opportunity to have a similarly functioning dock for the new N7.

The great thing about the (late) 2012 dock was that it allowed you to plug in an audio jack and leave it plugged in.

This means much less wear and tear on the Nexus 7's own headphone jack. I use my dock in the kitchen and it is permanently hooked up to a cheap old pair of computer speakers. That means that I can listen to podcasts when I am pottering about in the kitchen and also charge the unit at the same time.

When I use the N7 in the car I just use a regular miniplug into my car stereo aux input and recently I've noticed occasional problems with the headphone jack on the N7. One channel drops out. It is remedied by giving the N7 a gentle squeeze on the right edge. This tells me that the hardware is starting to deteriorate. Imagine how much worse it might be if I had been plugging and unplugging a line every time I used the N7 in the house!

I also like the angle at which the N7 stands in the dock. It makes it easy to look at the screen when I have it docked. I can look up recipes, glance at notifications as they come in, etc.

I do have one of the "folio" type covers (3rd party, not Google) and I cannot us it in the "standing" mode. The N7 just falls over onto its face when I try.

Yes, the dock was too expensive. Yes, it was unconscionably late, But I think it's a great pity that we've gone backwards on this issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781