Nexus 7: Screen Protectors?

knight1fox3

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen Protectors?

Thanks for the report! I used one from TechArmor for my husbands Nexus 7 last year with perfect results, but have not seen any yet from that company for the new model.

Sent from my Nook HD+
+1 for TechArmor. I used their screen protector on my Galaxy S4 and it went on really well. No trouble or screen distortion either. I actually emailed the company to ask if/when they would have a product ready for the 2nd gen. Nexus 7 and they responded that they would have something ready by the end of this week. I think I will hold out and wait until TechArmor has them available to ship.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Spigen is on it and has great customer service. They quickly cancelled the order and refunded my PP. Ordered via Azon and got the killer deal....wow such a great bargain for the best screen saver.

daaarn

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Using the ASUS one here, dry application, comes with glossy and matte, I am using the glossy, no better no worse than stock screen with no saver. More expensive than the SPIGEN though. If the ASUS one does not last well will try the SPIGEN. Have always used ZAGG in the past but I really like the dry application on the ASUS and SPIGEN.
Do you have any problems with touch sensitivity with your ASUS screen protector? I got one too and was able to apply it flush with no air bubbles, but it feels like I need to make solid contact with the fleshy part of my thumb in order to select anything, which is quite the downgrade from just the bare screen.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site

I cannot say there is a huge difference, after a day or two I don't notice it at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

daaarn

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I cannot say there is a huge difference, after a day or two I don't notice it at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hmmm, the screen protector I got might just be weird then. I may have to think about getting a different screen protector sometime later then. Thanks for letting me know.

knight1fox3

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

+1 for TechArmor. I used their screen protector on my Galaxy S4 and it went on really well. No trouble or screen distortion either. I actually emailed the company to ask if/when they would have a product ready for the 2nd gen. Nexus 7 and they responded that they would have something ready by the end of this week. I think I will hold out and wait until TechArmor has them available to ship.
Just got this email from TechArmor:

Dear valued customers,

Our Nexus 7 2nd Generation screen protectors will be in stock as of this coming Monday, which means we will be shipping this Tuesday. The items are available for pre-sale with the links below!

HD Clear - Amazon.com : Tech Armor Nexus 7 (2nd GENERATION) Tablet Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-PACK] - Retail Packaging : Computers & Accessories
Antiglare - Amazon.com: Tech Armor Nexus 7 (2nd GENERATION) Tablet Premium Antiglare and Antifingerprint Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-PACK] - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

If you have any questions let me know!

mched

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

So far I like the iLLumiShield. The cutouts align pretty well. There's a third cutout for the notification light which I think is weird, but it had that same cutout on the Skinomi screen protector I ordered so I guess it's standard. Fills the screen up and my fingers can move across it with ease. It's done fairly well against fingerprints and doesn't cause any decrease in picture quality. I like that it came in a three-pack as well. The first I tried to apply got too much dirt/dust on the adhesive side and it was driving me nuts. Even if you do get some specks left in there, the anti-bubble properties of the protector do well to remove any bubbling that might happen due to it. For the price, I think it's a good buy.

I just got the illumishield yesterday and I installed it last night. I have to say that it is much nicer than I thought it would be and very easy to install.
Mine did not have a cutout for the notification light.
For the price and the fact that they included 3, it's a great deal.

Last edited:

Chris Phan

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

Skinomi was a major disappointment! It leaves fingerprints like crazy! The fit was right on and aligned perfectly... The carbon fiber backing is nice, but don't expect it to last long. I had to take a heat gun to it and slowing press it together, now the edges are slowly lifting up.. :(

dhenry11

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Got the Spigen Ultra Clear off Amazon and went on perfectly. No issues with display but am finding diminished touch screen sensitivity where multiple taps with stylus are needed where a reliable single tap worked with bare screen. Would like to think it's the stylus but have same result with finger taps.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I just got my SPG Ultra Clear protector and put on today. I have used the same one on my first gen N7 for almost a year until i just sold it recently. With the protector on my first gen N7.....it was not in anyway diminishing touch sensitivity at all.

Right before I sold my first gen N7 to someone......just minutes before I did the factory reset... the 4.3 update cam in.....I never bothered installing it but wish I would of to see the results on the old N7. I can honestly say that my old N7 with the 4.2.2 JB was extremely smooth and touch was almost too sensitive even with the SPG on it.

Now with this fresh one on my N7 FHD.....it felt slightly grippy after putting it on and using the tablet. After a couple hours now that freshly peeled off grippy feeling has sort of gone away as I get my natural skin oils on it and cleaned it a couple times with the micro cloth it came with. Also....it is very humid here today as it is raining and I left my windows open all night.

I do now notice in a couple apps the touch sensitivity is lost somewhat.....but hoping it is a combination of the protector needing to be broken in and also a issue with the JB 4.3 software in general as well. But since the screen on the new N7 may have a different digitizer (?)......there could be a difference using the SPG Ultra Clear on it compared to the first gen N7? I will be interested in hearing from others as we use the protectors for a few weeks and also as we hopefully soon see a 4.3 highly needed update. I did have some touch problems recently without the SPG UC on .....and the touch app sensor does show what many also see with the right side of the screen having glitchy touch sense with 2 fingers in a vertical line.

On the positive side for me.....playing a certain game is 10 times better with the SPG on .....no more slippery touches that hinder game play from onscreen control buttons. (Golf Star in specific). Same goes for long presses to move icons. I had a hard time to keep a stable long touch in the exact spot because my finger felt like it was touching silicone with the bare glass. The SPG UC feels perfect for the right amount of hold and slide feeling with my finger/skin type.

dytkd

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

I just got the illumishield yesterday and I installed it last night. I have to say that it is much nicer than I thought it would be and very easy to install.
Mine did not have a cutout for the notification light.
For the price and the fact that they included 3, it's a great deal.

Someone on amazon was complaining that once the protector is on, the touch screen response changed. Have you experience anything like that?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I just got my SPG Ultra Clear protector and put on today. I have used the same one on my first gen N7 for almost a year until i just sold it recently. With the protector on my first gen N7.....it was not in anyway diminishing touch sensitivity at all.

Right before I sold my first gen N7 to someone......just minutes before I did the factory reset... the 4.3 update cam in.....I never bothered installing it but wish I would of to see the results on the old N7. I can honestly say that my old N7 with the 4.2.2 JB was extremely smooth and touch was almost too sensitive even with the SPG on it.

Now with this fresh one on my N7 FHD.....it felt slightly grippy after putting it on and using the tablet. After a couple hours now that freshly peeled off grippy feeling has sort of gone away as I get my natural skin oils on it and cleaned it a couple times with the micro cloth it came with. Also....it is very humid here today as it is raining and I left my windows open all night.

I do now notice in a couple apps the touch sensitivity is lost somewhat.....but hoping it is a combination of the protector needing to be broken in and also a issue with the JB 4.3 software in general as well. But since the screen on the new N7 may have a different digitizer (?)......there could be a difference using the SPG Ultra Clear on it compared to the first gen N7? I will be interested in hearing from others as we use the protectors for a few weeks and also as we hopefully soon see a 4.3 highly needed update. I did have some touch problems recently without the SPG UC on .....and the touch app sensor does show what many also see with the right side of the screen having glitchy touch sense with 2 fingers in a vertical line.

On the positive side for me.....playing a certain game is 10 times better with the SPG on .....no more slippery touches that hinder game play from onscreen control buttons. (Golf Star in specific). Same goes for long presses to move icons. I had a hard time to keep a stable long touch in the exact spot because my finger felt like it was touching silicone with the bare glass. The SPG UC feels perfect for the right amount of hold and slide feeling with my finger/skin type.

I also couldn't wait to get a screen protector on it because of the slipperiness of the glass. I got the SPG too. It adds the perfect amount of grippiness and helps reduce the glitches in the touch sensor problem.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Now after using the new SPG on my N7.2........it feels perfect just like the one on my old N7. The grippy feeling was just from it being freshly applied and that went away quick. I just did not recall that initial feeling when I first put one on my old N7 a year ago.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Now after using the new SPG on my N7.2........it feels perfect just like the one on my old N7. The grippy feeling was just from it being freshly applied and that went away quick. I just did not recall that initial feeling when I first put one on my old N7 a year ago.

I got this e-mail from SGP.

Thank you so much for your recent purchase with Spigen SGP!
We are excited for Google?s brand new addition to its lineup and the opportunity to bring you our highly raved Steinheil Ultra Crystal!
We have made a few practical changes to our design and we can?t wait for you to try it. The new updated design will begin shipping out August 16, 2013.
Your original order has been shipped so please use the older version to protect your device in the meantime. There are no issues with the functionality and you do not have to worry about sending back the original screen protector.
All of our Steinheil Nexus 7 Ultra Crystals include one film protector for each kit, we apologize if there was any confusion with our previous product description. For your convenience and to thank you for your patience and understanding, we are sending you two updated screen protectors at no additional cost!

We hope that you are enjoying your new Nexus 7 and our Steinheil Ultra Crystal. For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Customer Support through your Amazon Order or email us at [e-mail address removed]

Thank you so much for choosing Spigen SGP where there?s always something you want!

Sincerely,
SPIGEN SGP

skinnysloth

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

I got this e-mail from SGP.

Thank you so much for your recent purchase with Spigen SGP!
We are excited for Google?s brand new addition to its lineup and the opportunity to bring you our highly raved Steinheil Ultra Crystal!
We have made a few practical changes to our design and we can?t wait for you to try it. The new updated design will begin shipping out August 16, 2013.
Your original order has been shipped so please use the older version to protect your device in the meantime. There are no issues with the functionality and you do not have to worry about sending back the original screen protector.
All of our Steinheil Nexus 7 Ultra Crystals include one film protector for each kit, we apologize if there was any confusion with our previous product description. For your convenience and to thank you for your patience and understanding, we are sending you two updated screen protectors at no additional cost!

We hope that you are enjoying your new Nexus 7 and our Steinheil Ultra Crystal. For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Customer Support through your Amazon Order or email us at [e-mail address removed]

Thank you so much for choosing Spigen SGP where there?s always something you want!

Sincerely,
SPIGEN SGP

I got the same email. That's customer service folks. I wonder what these 'practical changes' were.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I've been using Clarivue for all my devices for the last few years. They offer different types (clear, anti-glare, mirror, privacy, and even some glass) and have good fit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995