Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Was this post helpful?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!!

23 92.00%
  • A little...? :|

2 8.00%
  • No!! >

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    STOCK

Lightbulb Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review

Poetic Slimline Case (first version) for the Nexus 7 (2nd Generation)

This is a full review for the Poetic Slimline case for the Nexus 7 (2nd Generation). There will be three parts of this review. First will be the workmanship of the actual case (durability, quality, etc.). Second will be about aesthetics (personal viewpoint) and third will be about features of the case and its functions as well as an over all opinion about this case.

WORKMANSHIP

As soon as I received this case it was very impressive! The leather looked nice and finished without any tear around the edges.The interior of the case, specifically underside of the front cover flap is made of a soft microfiber cloth which feels very nice to the touch. The cover goes slightly more out of the edge which makes it very easy to open the cover if needed. The magnets to keep the cover off seems very secure and durable. The logo on the front has a nice chrome finish and doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. Overall the workmanship seems very well polished.

AESTHETICS
    Compared to the last generation Nexus 7 case I liked the location of the Poetic logo on the front cover to be where it was from the previous generation case. But aside from that, it has a nice professional finish to it. I've gotten the black colored case and it looks very modern and professional. It's sleek, thin, and very pleasing to the eyes.

FEATURES
    This case does not have a TON of features because of its sleek and thin design. The cover does do some cool things for you though. Just like the smart cover for the iPad this too has that exact same ability. The cover allows you to wake/sleep the device when opened or closed. It doubles as a stand as well. Simply just fold it and use it as a stand. There are two main modes for the stand. Either you can use it to stand your device upright, best for viewing content or have it at a slight angle, best used for typing. It also has little magnets on the edges of the cover so it stays put in the shape of a triangle and it does not fall off. The cover does an excellent job to protect the screen from dust, dirt, and damage.

Overall this case is an excellent choice for those that are looking for an inexpensive case that is sleek and thin but doesn't lose the quality and easy on the wallet. If you are looking for something more of a power horse this is not for you. This is a case that will not take too much space and will have a very sleek and modern design. It has little to medium protection from falls, a trade off for losing the bulk. All the ports (power button, volume rockers, speakers (both top and bottom), micro usb port) are open and available without the need to take the case off. The case has a 3 year warranty from Poetic. Based on many, many reviews, Poetic has one of the best customer satisfaction rate out of the other companies that I have read about. So rest assured that if something goes wrong with the case (peeling of materials, etc.) you will be covered. I believe the price for this case is very reasonable for the product you receive.

If you are interested in this product here is the link from where my case has been purchased from via Amazon.com:
    Amazon.com : Poetic Slimline Case for Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013 Android Tablet Black (With Auto Wake / Sleep Function) (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic) : Computers & Accessories As of this writing the black colored case is $9.95 Free shipping.

I hope that helped to those who are looking for a lightweight case or just any case in general. Hit thanks if it helped you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4965.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4966.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4967.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4968.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4970.jpg  

Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4971.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4972.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4973.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4980.jpg   Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review-img_4981.jpg  

Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    trooperoutlaw and billpitt like this.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Default Re: Poetic Slimline Case Thorough Review

Awesome review. I too ordered the exact one when it was $5.95 + free shipping. Ordered on 8 August, still waiting to be shipped.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by camgen View Post
    Awesome review. I too ordered the exact one when it was $5.95 + free shipping. Ordered on 8 August, still waiting to be shipped.
    I'm still a bit happily confused as to why mine shipped so early when it says on Amazon they won't ship until the 28th. They probably knew I was going to make this awesome review so they shipped it out as soon as they could for me.

Great review.

It helped me pull the trigger and order one, just wish I had done so when it was 5.95 and not 14.95

Thanks again
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by hiwayracer View Post
    Great review.

It helped me pull the trigger and order one, just wish I had done so when it was 5.95 and not 14.95

Thanks again
    I'm assuming you're choosing a different color. The $5.95 price was for the black colored only and the colored version are what the price for the black case is right now. But I hope you enjoy your case! It's a really nice case. Glad this helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by npark2012 View Post
    I'm assuming you're choosing a different color. The $5.95 price was for the black colored only and the colored version are what the price for the black case is right now. But I hope you enjoy your case! It's a really nice case. Glad this helped you.
    I agree - I ordered green & haven't seen mine yet. I bet they focused on getting black ones shipping first, since they're surely the bulk of sales, and it'll be just a bit longer for colors.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by npark2012 View Post
    Correct - android green ;-P
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by hiwayracer View Post
    Correct - android green ;-P
    When it arrives, feel free to post some pictures or post how you like or dislike the case!

Got my Poetic Slimline today. Received my Moko Ultra Slim last Friday. Between the two (which are very similar) I definitely like the Poetic better. The Poetic snaps more snuggly onto the N7 (my Moko is loose on the left side). And with flap bent behind the N7, the Poetic is easier to hold. The Poetic extends only about a quarter inch on the right, while the Moko extends about 3/4 inch (with the flap bent behind the N7). Oh, and the magnets are larger on the Poetic, and seem stronger. These things really make for a better experience for me.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

I've got the same Poetic case for my Nook HD+ and I like it a lot. Very slim yet sturdy. Ordered the one for the Nexus 7 on eBay this weekend, though it was backordered for an estimated 10 days. It'll get here sooner or later.

Just wanted to say thanks for the review, finally ordered the Poetic Slim (black) last night. Says it won't ship until the 28th, hopefully I will get it early as well. Would have liked a little more variance in the colors, One company goes as far as Carbon Fiber patterns, but simpler can be better and I wanted a good thin case with a stand and from all of yours reviews I think I chose correctly.
    npark2012 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_O_Death View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for the review, finally ordered the Poetic Slim (black) last night. Says it won't ship until the 28th, hopefully I will get it early as well. Would have liked a little more variance in the colors, One company goes as far as Carbon Fiber patterns, but simpler can be better and I wanted a good thin case with a stand and from all of yours reviews I think I chose correctly.
    No problem. Glad it helped. I hope you get a good case in the mail soon!

Got my green Poetic Slimline today, excellent case. Still a bit of a shame to not be naked anymore, though. The N7-2 is so slim, as small as the slimline case is, it still adds noticeably to the overall thickness.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    Got my green Poetic Slimline today, excellent case. Still a bit of a shame to not be naked anymore, though. The N7-2 is so slim, as small as the slimline case is, it still adds noticeably to the overall thickness.
    I totally agree. I really like the nexus 7 naked but the functionality of the case and some protection is more than enough reason for me to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, while I was waiting for a good case to come out (I bought it on release day and knew that good cases would be a few weeks) I bought a $1 neoprene sleeve and the the Amazon Basic tablet stand for $6. Of course the stand is twice the size as I thought (which I guess makes sense since you can use it for 10'' tablets) and it will be nice to just have a nice slim case that acts as a stand as well. I had a thicker iBlason case for my original nexus and although it was really well made and useful, it almost doubled the thickness and I am hoping for something that doesn't add as much bulk.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Finally got mine today. Yes, it is an excellent case, as I expected. 5 stars for price, fit and finish, good texture, not much thickness added, and no funky smell.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Hand_O_Death View Post
    Agreed, while I was waiting for a good case to come out (I bought it on release day and knew that good cases would be a few weeks) I bought a $1 neoprene sleeve and the the Amazon Basic tablet stand for $6. Of course the stand is twice the size as I thought (which I guess makes sense since you can use it for 10'' tablets) and it will be nice to just have a nice slim case that acts as a stand as well. I had a thicker iBlason case for my original nexus and although it was really well made and useful, it almost doubled the thickness and I am hoping for something that doesn't add as much bulk.
    Well in terms of thickness there are some other cases that offer slightly slimmer profile but in the loss of appeal and/or protection. Like the tpu cases. they don't protect the screen and add little to no protection to the device.

Would love to get this case, but I can't seem to find it here in Toronto and the only one from amazon.ca is the slimline portfolio case and it's only for the 1st gen N7. Also, this case is $30 here where as it's 12.99 at amazon.com. Terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
    Got my Poetic Slimline today. Received my Moko Ultra Slim last Friday. Between the two (which are very similar) I definitely like the Poetic better. The Poetic snaps more snuggly onto the N7 (my Moko is loose on the left side). And with flap bent behind the N7, the Poetic is easier to hold. The Poetic extends only about a quarter inch on the right, while the Moko extends about 3/4 inch (with the flap bent behind the N7). Oh, and the magnets are larger on the Poetic, and seem stronger. These things really make for a better experience for me.

I had also ordered and received both (having had a great experience with the Poetic on last year's model, I would've ordered only theirs but the Moko was shipping sooner and very inexpensive). As you said, both are very similar, with the Poetic being slightly slimmer.

I didn't find the Moko to be loose, but I found the Poetic to be tight. Too tight. When I first tried to remove it from the Poetic, the shell of the N7 actually started to separate from the screen and guts of the device! It was only with great care that I was able to get it out, and I will not be putting it back in again. This was a real disappointment given how much I enjoyed last year's model - perhaps it was just an off manufacturing issue with the specific case I received, but I'm not willing to chance the integrity of my tablet by using a too-tight case further.

Interesting. My Poetic is not "too tight" but I do have to pull one of the corners away from the Nexus to remove it. Perhaps use something like a plastic spoon to remove in the future? At any rate, given how loose the Moko is, I don't trust it in a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    I had also ordered and received both (having had a great experience with the Poetic on last year's model, I would've ordered only theirs but the Moko was shipping sooner and very inexpensive). As you said, both are very similar, with the Poetic being slightly slimmer.

I didn't find the Moko to be loose, but I found the Poetic to be tight. Too tight. When I first tried to remove it from the Poetic, the shell of the N7 actually started to separate from the screen and guts of the device! It was only with great care that I was able to get it out, and I will not be putting it back in again. This was a real disappointment given how much I enjoyed last year's model - perhaps it was just an off manufacturing issue with the specific case I received, but I'm not willing to chance the integrity of my tablet by using a too-tight case further.
    Mine should be arriving later today - will let you know how it fits

Quote Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
    Interesting. My Poetic is not "too tight" but I do have to pull one of the corners away from the Nexus to remove it. Perhaps use something like a plastic spoon to remove in the future? At any rate, given how loose the Moko is, I don't trust it in a drop.

It sounds like there's a degree of variability within both of these cases... I can hold the Moko case by the flap and shake it and the tablet stays in securely (obv. I help my other hand to catch it, just in case!). In the event of a drop, though, neither of these will really provide much protection - and I suspect that if the tablet were to dislodge it would be after initial impact anyway.

i got my slimline yesterday and i am having the same magnet sleep problems as every other case i have ever had. i ended up removing the magnet from the poetic strapback case i have had for a few weeks, due to this issue.

although it is not consistent, the magnet will trigger it to lock the screen when folded back.
    this is very annoying when playing a game or something (with hands no where near the power button)

edit: i am finding that the case has to be very flat against the back for it to trigger sleep. (i.e. setting it down on a table with cover folded back.)

wondering if some sort of shielding can be placed behind the tablet inside the case...no idea what type of material.

Just thought of something (even though I'll be able to test it later)...

Are you still able to charge wirelessly with this case on....

I can charge wirelessly with either the Poetic or the Moko. It might depend on the charger, though. I have the Tylt Vu, which has 3 coils.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast