Case Debate

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Poetic Slimline -
Amazon.com: Poetic Slimline Case for Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013 Android Tablet Black (With Auto Wake / Sleep Function) (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic): Computers & Accessories
-Seems to be the overall favorite of owners. Like how classy it looks.

MoKo Ultra Slim -
Amazon.com: MoKo Google New Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Google Nexus 2 7.0 Inch 2013 Generation Android 4.3 Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep Feature): Computers & Accessories
-The "other" favorite among Nexus 7 owners. This one comes in a color I would love to have - orange.

MoKo Slim Fit Multi-Angle -
Amazon.com: MoKo Google New Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Case - Slim-Fit Multi-angle Stand Cover Case BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep Feature): Computers & Accessories
-Like the strap, and the ability to stand the tablet a different angles. Also comes in orange. May be too bulky?

What do you all think? Which one would be the best one to get?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Poetic and the MoKo Slim Fit Multi-Angle and I keep swapping between the two. The Poetic has a really nice slim profile but the standing angle is too steep for good viewing or use with a keyboard. The MoKo is bulkier and heavier but I like the hand strap and standing angle options. The cover of the Poetic tends to slide in my hand when held folded open - the MoKo cover has both the hand strap and another strap to hold the cover in place when folded open, making it easier for one-handed holding. Guess I'll just keep swapping between the two until I finally settle on one or the other. Sigh ...

Edit - the Poetic StrapBack Case is similar to the MoKo Slim Fit Multi-Angle and can be had for $4.95 at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3178944

horseflesh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I REALLY like the hand strap on the Moko Slim Fit, which I had on my 2012 N7.

I bought the i-Blason for my 2013 model, because it is the same style as the Moko, but I don't like it as much. The cover won't fold flat which makes the hand strap less useful. Also, the orange color is hideous in person. It's like a dirty pumpkin.

If anyone has the Moko Slim Fit 2013 version, can you confirm that the cover will lie flat against the back of the case when you open it all the way? EDIT: Nevermind, the pics show it does. Cool. Ordering, and throwing out my orange i-Blason.

Anyway--from the list above I'd go Moko Slim Fit based on past experience.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I REALLY like the hand strap on the Moko Slim Fit, which I had on my 2012 N7.

I bought the i-Blason for my 2013 model, because it is the same style as the Moko, but I don't like it as much. The cover won't fold flat which makes the hand strap less useful. Also, the orange color is hideous in person. It's like a dirty pumpkin.

If anyone has the Moko Slim Fit 2013 version, can you confirm that the cover will lie flat against the back of the case when you open it all the way? EDIT: Nevermind, the pics show it does. Cool. Ordering, and throwing out my orange i-Blason.

Anyway--from the list above I'd go Moko Slim Fit based on past experience.

It just seems to bulky though and some people were reporting, that it fit too tight it broke the corners on the N7 do to the constant removing/putting back in place to stand it up.

Posted via Android Central App

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm totally satisfied with the Poetic case. They sent out replacement cases because there were complaints with the old case. I had no problems with the old case and am still using it. The new one is still unopened.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

horseflesh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
My Moko case arrived and I like it just as much as the Moko on my 2012 N7. It does add some bulk... I'm pretty sensitive to that, always carrying my N7 around, and I don't find it objectionable. If minimal bulk is your #1 goal then yeah, there are better choices.

I haven't had any problems with the corners but I guess anything is possible. If you make heavy use of the stand, maybe there is a better choice. If you use it mostly hand-held with the strap, as I do, I find the Moko to be just about perfect.

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have both Moko cases. I've had this one on my N7 for months:
Amazon.com: MoKo Google New Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Case - Slim-Fit Multi-angle Stand Cover Case BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep Feature): Computers & Accessories

I use the stand virtually every day and have not had any issues with it. It's really well made, and the stand is very steady. I also like that it has a stylus holder built in. I don't find the corners difficult to release when using the stand, as some have reported. I had ordered an i-Blason for my N7, and hated it. I had one that I loved on my first gen N7, but the second generation case was just awful.

Today, I got this one in the mail:
Amazon.com: MoKo Google New Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Smart-shell Stand Case for Google Nexus 2 7.0 Inch 2013 Generation Android 4.3 Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep Feature): Computers & Accessories

I really like it, too. It's much slimmer and lighter than the other one, and the stand is completely different. I'll try the stand tomorrow and see how I like it. I like that the outside has a texture to it, so it feels good to carry, but I'm not sure how much protection this one will provide, since I am a klutz.

So far, Moko seems to be the go-to case for me. I've looked at others, but kept coming back to these.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

What do you like about it that makes you say that? In my experience, there is no one case that's the best case for everyone, but rather a handful of "best cases" depending on the use/purpose. So, if you share what it is you think is really good about this case, it might fit someone else's needs and be the "best case" for them as well. :)

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
What do you like about it that makes you say that? In my experience, there is no one case that's the best case for everyone, but rather a handful of "best cases" depending on the use/purpose. So, if you share what it is you think is really good about this case, it might fit someone else's needs and be the "best case" for them as well. :)

The back shell is thick and protects well.
The magnet won't activate the screen when folded all the way back.
The cover is thick and feels like leather on the outside with a soft suede on the inside.
It's called the 'ridge' because the backshell has a ridge on the bottom that fits into channels on the inside of the front cover so it stays at the angle you set for landscape mode.

The front cover flap is attached in the middle of the back instead of the edge. This is how it can be used as a stable base for landscape. It also allows you to stand it up in a portrait mode if you fold back the cover partially to form an 'S' shape if looked at from above.

A thin elastic strap near the opening edge allows you to keep the cover closed. Much simpler and reliable than clips or magnets.

The front cover has a crease about 1 1/2" from the left side. This allows the cover to form a wedge/ triangle shape under the back so you can lay it on a table for good keyboard use at a desk.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I ended up getting the new Poetic Covermate Slimline case with the antique flag look. I love this case, very very slim and light (even slimmer than the "leather feel" slimline), cover folds back well, back has an almost soft touch feel, and magnetic catches for propping it up (similar to the Moko case). Well done.

alis123

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have Amzer leather shell portfolio case fort my N7(2013) and I just love it...I got it @Fommy and I just love the product quality of the case...its very nice one to use...the texture and the material of the case is really appreciable... i like the product

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I was stoked to get my Poetic Slimline yesterday, and they sent me the 2012 model =(

The correct one should be here tomorrow. I've never been excited for a case before, but am even more excited after playing around with the one they sent me. The build quality seems great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the N7 2103 since it came out several months ago. First thing I did was order cases. I got the Moko Fit case and a Poetic Graphgrip. I like both those cases very much for their designs with my different uses. And just recently I got a BobjGear case.

N7case1.jpg

The Moko Fit is good for taking the tablet outside and about with its magnetic wake/sleep and it also has great protection. Plus it looks nice and classy I think. I find the ability to use the landscape stand highly useful in many situations for hands free use. If I had to use just one type case it would be this one for sure...it is slightly stronger/beefier than my old Bluerex version on my old N7 2012. But the only thing I find with the Bluerex version better is that the first point of the vertical stand slot holds the tablet more vertical than the Moko and others with this design. The first slot in the Moko is father away from the back hinge point and thus holds the tablet at a greater angle which at times I wish it to be more vertical. I like the way this stand is more solid than the slimline type ones, with those it seems the tablet is not very stable when in full upright mode. And I also do not like the plastic back shell the tablet has to snap into. I would rather have the faux leather and padded material type the other cases use like the SlimFit types.

The Poetic Graphgrip is nice because it has a softer feel with better grip than the naked N7 backside, with not much added bulk in the hand. It is nice and slim and fits the tablet well without the inner face edges flexing away from the screen area when you hold it like many bumper style rubber cases do on different devices. If your looking for a minimal sized wrap style case and do not like the stiffer TPU types...(which I do not at all), this case is a good buy for sure especially at the low price it is.

N7case2.jpg

BOBJ GEAR case .....been testing it out for a few days now. There are several reasons I have always wanted to get this case... and now glad I got one. The main reasons for getting this case are:

1. The large bulging edge area to help hold during game play helping to not make so many mis-touches. It also helps strain holding the tablet by allowing a looser and more comfortable grip. Obviously the cost of this is the added weight with the size and silicone type used. The case is nice and soft grip wise and I find this good for setting the tablet down and having a very low slip factor and various surfaces.

2. The speaker and mic channels! This is the only cause besides I think one of those wooden book type cases that has this feature for speaker and mic channels facing the front of the tablet. (personally i think those other cases are ugly, over priced, and would not be comfortable holding on too). Because I use GrooveIP and a few other video/voice apps....having the mic facing me when talking helps in a few ways with the BobjGear design. It cuts out some of the background interference but also I see a better performance when using the speak to type functions with the stock keyboard app. I seem to get better recognition of my spoken words and have to correct much less.

The speaker channels help quite a lot to make for much better listening. Though some times when using the Graphgrip case setting face up...the reflection of the speakers bouncing off your hands works good enough when holding the tablet in landscape mode. But now when I set the tablet down and listen to music or such.....I dont have to turn up the speakers as much. There is only one small thing I would like to see them do with one of the speaker channels on the BobjGear case though. The one on the top/left side that is the long open slot tends to bend in because of such a large area unsupported when you hold it in landscape. If they would put a 1/4 inch bridge in the middle of it for extra support to keep that long open slot from folding in on itself closing off the channel exit somewhat, this would be a plus. Also it would feel much better and solid like the opposite side does when you rest your hand or thumb on it when holding in landscape.

3. Protection Also one thing I found is that when using the Graphgrip cause....I tended to be more gentle picking up and setting down the tablet. At times it was also harder to pick up the cause in certain instances. With the Bobj cause....it seems like it is so much easier or takes less effort to grip and pick up the case at odd angles.....like from my night stand when laying down. I also do not feel like I need to be careful when playing games from pinching/holding/tapping. The added bulk and soft edge bumper allows for gripping harder and you just don't feel like your going to abuse the screen or tablet. This seems like a good deal when playing games where you are constantly or aggressively gripping and tapping the screen while controlling game play like with racing games, shooters, or others where some might man-handling the tablet without realizing it. For me I just felt like I was abusing the screen when playing shooters and racing games, though now I don't really play many games besides a golf game and maybe some unhappy bird ones.

All the cutouts seem to be very well designed and placed well. The only thing I would worry about is using a right angle mini USB cord. The cut out is pretty deep as far as that goes for clearance with something like a right angle connector. You have to remember that this case/wrap is made from high grade soft silicone and is much heavier than other materials like the Graphgrip are made from. It is also much much thinker around the edge and may not fit some pouches/sleeves because of this. I am looking for a simple neoprene sleeve that will accept this Bobj one. The outside measurements with the Bobj case while on the N7 are.......8 5/16 (212mm) long, hair under 5 (126mm) wide, and 7/8 (23mm) thick. I held off ordering a few cheap neoprene sleeves because most do not seem long enough. I found a couple that would fit good...but they were way to expensive at $20+ or they had handles or straps. I would prefer just a simple sleeve/pouch that didn't have zippers or extra things on it.

After using this Bobj case for less than a week....I do not miss the auto wake function of a magnetic cover. I set my screen off to 2 mins anyway and do not mind tapping the power button to turn the screen back on. As far as feeling our touching the power and volume buttons....it is much more easy to blindly find each one in comparison to the Graphgrip case. The Graphgrip cause allowed for very slight touches to engage the power or volume rocker, but it was hard to find them when not looking at them. The Bobj cause has a huge recessed channel that allows for very easy feel of each button and is much quicker for me to use the buttons when not looking. So when I need to power the screen back on or adjust the volume....it takes little effort is much easier than without a case or with any other cause I have used.

I am very happy with the Bobj for these reasons.....though I always held off getting one because of the price. They only sell them via amazon and if you do not have prime shipping.....it is another $8 to ship most places in the US. So that would make it $30+. Luckily I had a friend with amazon prime and got free 2 day shipping so it was worth it to me. I never spent over $12 for any cause...and this one is worth the extra price I feel. I highly recommend the BobjGear case if the weight is not a problem, which I have not found in any situation yet that it is for me.

N7case3.jpg

N7case4.jpg

N7case5.jpg

N7case6.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Ray

May 12, 2013
Visit site
After doing a lot of research and viewing a ton of YouTube videos, I purchased the Poetic Slimline (new version) and love it. Not bulky, magnets do their job and has a decent viewing angle.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The Poetic, Moko slimline type cases are most likely the most popular. They are nice because they do not all alot of bulk and are quick to open and stand up in what ever position you want. Plus they look nice and have the wake/sleep feature.

I was just thinking....if Poetic would take the Graphgrip case and add the front flap of the Slimline with magnets in it for wake and closure functions....that cause would ROCK ! I just like the soft rubbery type backs for feel and protection over the plastic sections they use in the slimline type cases. (HINT HINT POETIC !) ;)

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have Amzer leather shell portfolio case fort my N7(2013) and I just love it...I got it @Fommy and I just love the product quality of the case...its very nice one to use...the texture and the material of the case is really appreciable... i like the product

And it matches my shoes too, perfect for the runway. ;-P

A0425A

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Just got the Poetic after having the Moko slimline case. For me it's a no brainer. The Poetic is case is a much better case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4