Does the digitizer break when screen is cracked on the Nexus 7 (2013)

rykanator

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I was curious as to if the new Nexus 7 (2013 edition) has the same problem as the old 2012 Nexus 7.
The problem i am referring to is with the old Nexus 7, when the screen cracked, the digitizer was busted. making it unusable. does this problem occur with the newer Nexus 7?
Thanks!
-Rykanator ;)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't know whether the new digitizer has the same behavior, but for your old nexus I think there are some remote USB software that can control your tablet even with the busted digitizer to get things done before you set it aside. Not for everyday use, but good enough to get some data and backups.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
When the screen broke on my 2012 Nexus 7 last year, the screen still worked for me even though it had around 5 huge cracks and many smaller ones in it.

thedavidg

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I broke the screen on my new Nexus 7 (2013) and the digitizer no longer works. It may a well be a brick. Nobody seems to have replacement screens in stock yet. I got to use mine for less than a day before I broke it.

galenpowers

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The 2013 Asus Nexus 7 is absolutely awesome when it works, but it breaks easily.

Unfortunately, the 2013 Asus Nexus 7 is very fragile. I bought one right before a trip and was loving it until 2/3 of the digitizer went intermittent then quit working. After looking at it under various lighting conditions while it was off, I could see a hair line crack in the display/digitzer stack. The fracture was not visible with the display on. You could not feel it on the surface. The digitizer worked on the narrow side of the crack and not on the other two thirds of the screen.
This device is too fragile. The chassis flexes easily and I believe this is what allows the display to flex enough to break the digitizer. I feel like this product is going to have major issues because it is small enough to fit in a pocket like a large cell phone and based on the amount of flex in the chassis, this is the kiss of death for a nexus 7. For anyone considering buying a 2013 Nexus 7, put it in a nice fat rigid case immediately and never, never subject it to any flex.

I think Asus should take a look at an a Samsung note 2. I have carried one for a year and not been nearly as careful and it is holding up fine, granted it is smaller, but the 2013 nexus 7 lasted 3 days and the repair cost (165.00 for a screen that you install) is too expensive to make sense and turns an awesome device into land fill fodder. What sucks is that I feel responsible for breaking it although it was never dropped or handled roughly, and from the posts around the web, I can tell that it is a waste of time to try to get Asus to stand behind their product even though it is three days old.

As much as I hate to sound like a Apple fan boy, at least you can fix an ipad digitizer for 30 bucks if you are willing to burn an hour or two. Asus, it is going to very difficult to convince myself to carry another 2013 Nexus 7. I expect it to work when I turn it on?.

If anyone is interested, I can do a tear down and take good pictures of what I find.

Toonstar

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just had the exact same problem. I can't believe how fragile this device is. If we move with the theory that it is flexing causing the damage - it's been in my bag constantly and the bag was never dropped or mishandled. I took it out this morning, and the exact same hairline crack 2/3 of the way up the screen. So minimal, you can't feel it and won't see it when the screen is on. And likewise, half the screen works and the other half does not. I find it pretty curious both are devices damaged the exact same way. This is ridiculous, no device should break inside a case inside a bag. It's not like I had a laptop inside the bag that could have pushed against it. Spent half an hour on the phone with Asus trying to find out what to do - essentially I have to send it in and "if the service center is able to determine that the tablet broke without physical contact then they will fix it under warranty.... otherwise estimate to fix it is $208... could be less" . *facepalm* ... I feel like a moron when I said the screen cracked by itself, but that's pretty much what's happening here.

I'd like to know if other people are having the same issue, then we can point Asus Support to this forum as proof that there is some flex-issue causing hair-line cracks at a very specific part of the screen.

CorleReeFer

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else have the problem that they cannot type effectively on their n7(2013) I have to type super slow and even then it misses letters... screen is not very responsive... this issue only seems to affect typing.. for me anyway

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk HD

zardichar

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
The screen is cracked on my Nexus 7 2013 and the digitizer is broken throughout the entire screen.

Does anyone know if a 2012 Nexus 7 digitizer is compatible with the 2013 version?

Jaytt

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
screen cracked on mine too (2013) about 2/3 way up and to the left hand side.
No bangs, knocks, drops, only had it for 2 weeks.
Waiting for reply back from Asus, for options....

glippy

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my Nexus 7 three days after buying it. It was in a leather case but it still smashed and is useless. The vendor (Ebuyer) just washed their hands of it. I phoned Google and got an American call centre who said they didn't recognise my e-mail address. Asus told me it would cost ?45 just to look at the tablet, a new screen would be at least ?100 plus labour. Bang goes ?240.

Patrishka

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem!! Display cracked, you cannot see the crack when display is turned on or feel it but the digitizer work's only on the upper 1/3 - which makes it unusable as I cannot enter my password!! This is the second Nexus 7 where the display cracked (within 6 month!!!), last time it fell and the display was smashed, this time I didn't do anything!! It was always in a thick case.
Asus answer: "The diagonal lines on the screen indicate damage to the glass by way of an impact,
twisting or applied pressure.

This damage would not be covered by the manufacturers warranty. We can repair this
machine at your cost should you wish, however the cost of the repair can only be confidently
quoted once we have the machine assessed at our service centre. You may also wish
to check with your supplier for any insurance you may have been supplied at point of sale."

I'm really furious and dissapointed at the moment. I don't feel that this is customer service at all and I think that the product has serious problems. It thought it's a great product, but fragile as hell and this makes it actually useless as a tablet that size!

Lazaretto

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: screen

This Nexus 7 isn't built near as good as previous. Has anyone found a supplier that will sell the screen/digitizer for less the a $100? I am not replacing this tablet and will not spend anywhere near the $200 I keep seeing.

Viktor Balogh

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
This is ridiculous. I have the same issue, my tablet broke in my pocket without touching it! I first noticed, when I pulled it out of my pocket. Less than two weeks of usage. Terrible build quality, horrible costumer support, ASUS. :(

DLTurner332211

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If your screen is cracked, and you're able to get to the settings....turn on auto rotate. This will allow the functioning section of the screen to work. My son's tablet has a crack in 1/3 of the screen. Auto rotating allows the home functions keys to move to the working 2/3 section of the tablet's screen to function correctly. It's better than trying to replace crack screen myself and risk it not working at all. This was my solution after watching a Christmas present collect dust for three months. Now he's able to do do everything like before. Hope it helps someone.

fedupwithnexus

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Had my Nexus 7 six months and screen spontaneously cracked overnight it hadn't been used all day just left on the desk. It seem like this is a common problem and the fault usually appears on the left of the screen half way up which was the case with mine, where do we go from here?. Seems customer services don't want to know is it worth a phone call?
And what do I replace it with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674