Pre-Rooting Questions?

iamtherealmungo

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm interested in rooting my new nexus 7 for the following reasons:

- I'd like to make full backups of my tablets storage should I need to completely restore it.

- I want to connect my tablet to a wi-fi network made by my phones 3g connection (I'm not sure if I need either device to be rooted for this?)

- I'd like to use a the ps3 sixaxis controller app to play games with.

- I'd like to try and increase the performance/battery life of the tablet by possibly underclocking when not in use.

Before I root the device though, I want to make sure I know how to unroot it should I need to return it to factory spec. How do you go about unrooting a rooted device?

In regards to making backups, I'm assuming as you can only use apps like titanium once rooted should you need to restore it you would need to wipe the device, then root again, then use titanium to restore from a backup?

I don't have much interested in flashing a custom ROM, I simply want root access to use some of the apps that require it. Is it possible to hide access to the root folder when using an app such as Astro file manager to avoid accidentally changing anything dangerous?

Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
For backups you have the option of using Helium which doesn't require root and I've used many times. Both rooted and unrooted, works very well for saving apps/data.

Naturally you can backup your internal storage to your computer on your own, thats easy enough.

To return back to factory stock/unrooted you will need to flash the factory images which are readily available from Google. Its a very simple process.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=fr-FR

Most if not all file explorers like Astro, Root Explorer, ES File Explorer are set to default of no write access to /system/ level of your device. In order to delete, rename or move files in the /system/ level or " root access " areas you have to enable write access thru settings or other means. Plus you will be prompted by SuperSU or Superuser (root app) to allow access to root level for this all to happen. So basically your covered and it can't just " accidentally " happen.

iamtherealmungo

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
For backups you have the option of using Helium which doesn't require root and I've used many times. Both rooted and unrooted, works very well for saving apps/data.

Naturally you can backup your internal storage to your computer on your own, thats easy enough.

To return back to factory stock/unrooted you will need to flash the factory images which are readily available from Google. Its a very simple process.

Most if not all file explorers like Astro, Root Explorer, ES File Explorer are set to default of no write access to /system/ level of your device. In order to delete, rename or move files in the /system/ level or " root access " areas you have to enable write access thru settings or other means. Plus you will be prompted by SuperSU or Superuser (root app) to allow access to root level for this all to happen. So basically your covered and it can't just " accidentally " happen.

That's great! Thanks. So in regards to backups. I really just need a backup of my Apps and their details like game scores etc, can Titanium or Hellium do this?

I've read into it more, and I don't intend on flashing a custom rom, so do I need to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery option? If I just root the device, how do I then go about un-rooting it if the need arises? From what I've read you need to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recover to flash a ROM? If that's true would I need to install custom recovery to unroot it?

I Literally just want root acces for apps that require it, but I want to make unrooting the device as easy as possible just in case!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes when you root the device you have to unlock the boot loader which does wipe the entire device. However that is where Helium comes in handy, you can backup your apps and data then restore them after the rooting process is complete.

Titanium can do the backups once rooted but also can freeze apps, delete them, etc.

Returning to stock/unrooting isn't that bad. Again use helium to make your important saves then after flashing back to stock you can restore your helium backup to get your stuff back.

Rooting on a Nexus is a very easy and normally problem free.

Oh and no you don't have to flash a custom Rom if you don't want to. Installing the custom recovery is a must to obtain root access but you can still run stock.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

Very well written, definitely will answer some of those agonizing questions for anyone scared to make the jump from stock to a rooted or custom ROM. I can say my experience has been great rooting my Android phones and previous tablet. Haven't done it yet for this Nexus 7, not due to fear but mainly for the fact I don't see the necessity yet to even root it with my current use.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Very well written, definitely will answer some of those agonizing questions for anyone scared to make the jump from stock to a rooted or custom ROM. I can say my experience has been great rooting my Android phones and previous tablet. Haven't done it yet for this Nexus 7, not due to fear but mainly for the fact I don't see the necessity yet to even root it with my current use.

I completely agree. Android in general has introduced many of the common features or mods that many folks used to root their devices and run custom ROMs to get. Plus you have to hand it to our awesome development community coming up with non root related apps to achieve things that required root in the past.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree. Android in general has introduced many of the common features or mods that many folks used to root their devices and run custom ROMs to get. Plus you have to hand it to our awesome development community coming up with non root related apps to achieve things that required root in the past.

A point I forgot as well which you stated. App developers are doing amazing. The primary reason I wanted to root was so I could use Titanium Backup, however now Helium is available to root and non rooted users. 3rd party launchers also give users a sense of satisfaction if they want to break in to further customization of the homescreen.