Nexus 7: What is your favorite ROM?

Kit Kat, CM, SlimBean, Other

• Total voters

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey Members. I hope everyone's well as we get into this holiday season.

I'm on my 7th (yeah, I said it)...7th Nexus 7. The first six had issues of some sort or another...touchscreen issues, dead pixels, etc. I didn't complain, I just like the purity of perfection. For this one I went all out with the LTE model. It seems finally flawless (build 10/2013), thank goodness.

So, now the fun needs to be had. Should it be left at raw Kit Kat or be it blessed with a new ROM? I've tried SlimBean and CM...really like them both, pretty much equally. I think of Slim and CM as stock Android on steroids and like the features they offer and I'm all for going FrankenNexus on this thing.

Is there something that Kit Kat gifts me that I can't see and should care about? Some good reason to hold on to Kit Kat rather than move off to a different Brain? Are there even better performing fuller featured ROMs out there I should be considering?

I wanted to ask all of you Jedi what you think. Let me know in the comments.

It was said, "For you do not know the power of the Dark Side." ...but, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: What is your favorite ROM?

Hey Members. I hope everyone's well as we get into this holiday season.

I'm on my 7th (yeah, I said it)...7th Nexus 7. The first six had issues of some sort or another...touchscreen issues, dead pixels, etc. I didn't complain, I just like the purity of perfection. For this one I went all out with the LTE model. It seems finally flawless (build 10/2013), thank goodness.

So, now the fun needs to be had. Should it be left at raw Kit Kat or be it blessed with a new ROM? I've tried SlimBean and CM...really like them both, pretty much equally. I think of Slim and CM as stock Android on steroids and like the features they offer and I'm all for going FrankenNexus on this thing.

Is there something that Kit Kat gifts me that I can't see and should care about? Some good reason to hold on to Kit Kat rather than move off to a different Brain? Are there even better performing fuller featured ROMs out there I should be considering?

I wanted to ask all of you Jedi what you think. Let me know in the comments.

It was said, "For you do not know the power of the Dark Side." ...but, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Since the Devs are probably still working on the 4.4 SDKs, right now stock has the advantage of running ART (Android Run Time) which is better than Dalvik. However, as the same time, few apps are currently seeing the benefit to it. It's kind of like that time that car companies were offering flex fuel engines and there were only two stations in the entire country offering E85.

There is also the speed upon which stock gets updates. 4.4.1 is already rolling out, so even CM is behind.

Now: This is where CM or Slim can shine. Xposed frameworks, other rooted apps further customizing, are already loaded. To echo what you said, this is where the steroids separate the men from the boys. Also, CM and Slim are good at catching bugs that even Google doesn't deal with.

If it were me, I would surrender the speed of updates with my tablet and get a custom ROM, and stay stock Nexus on a phone.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Try Carbon its very nice even though the Kitkat version of Carbon isnt out yet its still amazing the only thing missing from that rom is photosphere but if you can do without it its very nice and lets you customize your device alot for more eye candy

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I tried Pananoid Android, AOKP, and CM11 before giving up on them and going back to stock. Decided to give Xposed Framework and Gravitybox a try and I couldn't be happier. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech