No OS on Nexus 7 2013

cottonsox

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, happy new year to all.

Had my N7 rooted, running stock 4.4.2 with no problems.

As I wanted to get the N7 with 3G, I decided to put it back to stock and give it to my grandson.

Using Wugs toolkit all was going according to plan until, while it was flashing the stock rom, had a power cut, everything off for about two hours, when the power came back attempted to boot the N7, nothing just the logo and the unlocked symbol.
Conected to computer but it's not recognised because USB debugging not activated.

I assume that it has been completely wiped and has no OS on it.

Is there any way to get it up and running or is returning to Asus the only option ?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers Bob ;)

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
There's an option with Wug's on the right hand side. (Device is on or Soft-Bricked/bootloop). You could attempt to restore the OS with the soft-bricked option.

There are also settings under the "advanced" button that allows you to push files to the device. I had done something similar (wiped everything, including the OS) on my Galaxy Nexus. I managed to restore it using the Advanced settings. I don't recall what I did (it was a year ago) but I did manage to get it back.

With Nexus devices, if it turns on chances are very high you can get the OS back on it. It may take some trial and error (and lots of time!) but it is do-able. Sorry i can't be of further assistance. Hopefully someone with more know-how can help you more!

cottonsox

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for response, will have a look see, but is not Wugs dependant on the device being seen by the computer, I can't get into the N7 to enable USB debugging, but will try .

Thank you ;).

cottonsox

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
ATT. dancing-bass.

Hi fella,

Pleased to say thanks to your help I now have a working N7, acheived via Wugs, really should have gone through the options.

Thanks again for your response.

Cheers Bob ;)

PS. Any tips on where to get a Unicorn like what you have :D

TheSL65Black

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
How did you get it working? I am having the same issue, but my bootloader is locked. It hangs at the Google screen and does nothing, and when I try to unlock the bootloader, it freezes and I have to manually restart it.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Download the ROM and kernel and gapps package and put it on a USB stick
Get the USB adapter that plugs in to the charging port
Go to recover and install from OTG storage and be careful next time hope it helps

czero

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
First, to answer your question TheSL65Black: Because N7s are Asus products, it goes without saying that you have to essentially bodyslam every key available to get into any kind of BIOS (for computers) or recovery mode (tablets).

To turn it off, make sure you use power+volume down. This will make your android think something is wrong (good) and it will flag your boot ini as being f'd up. This is what you want. Now, your device is off.
Power it back on (I'd have it plugged in, too) and keep pushing down the volume down button and power on button. Push and hold down-volume until it turns on, then while holding the power button in, alternate back and forth between up and down. With any luck, you will get the dead android alien with a red exclamation point. As soon as this happens, hold power+volume up. You will have an option to wipe. That is what you want to do.

Once you have wiped, you want to reboot into recovery. Hopefully, you have the TWRP recovery image, which is pretty and easier on the brain, but if not, you can still boot an image. I don't know how Wug does this with his toolkit, so what follows is geeky as hell.

I recommend getting yourself a nice little Linux distro (Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu/mint would be friendly and intuitive) and running it inside a VirtualBox VM, grabbing the NDK pack, and learning the command line instructions for adb and fastboot. It's actually not very hard at all, VirtualBox is a great program, and it's kind of fun if you're into masochism. I spent a couple days bricking and unbricking my Nexus because I had Oldboot thing and no warranty so I was like "screw it" and used it as a crash test dummy with the assumption that I was going to break it. It's running Kali Linux right now and most of the nasty Oldboot kernel hooks are gone I think.

Story aside, lets talk about the tools for a second. This is amateur, and I'm sure someone will correct me, but my device still works so I can't be totally dumb!

Code:
[b]GENERAL USE: FASTBOOT[/b]
Fastboot is your primary flashing utility for flashing kernels and recovery images.
It is active during boot (for a very short time, unless you want to write a looping bash command it's easier to just load the bootloader to fastboot)
It is [b]always[/b] active during bootloader mode
It is not active inside the Android operating system
Debugging mode is not required to use fastboot

Code:
[b]GENERAL USE: ADB[/b]
ADB is active when the OS is loaded, and is also active in TWRP recovery mode
You only need debugging mode if, and only if, you want to keep anything on your Nexus and you are operating in the OS
ADB has this awesome feature called sideload that is independent of USB debugging
All you do is set TWRP recovery to install (flash zip or whatever), and set Nexus to ADB sideload
Then you just type in console "sudo adb-sideload ./path/to/<blegh>.zip" 
Now you can flash a ROM/kernel/img/bootloader, it should be in a folder called !ReadyToFlash or something, can't miss it
And now you should be fine

At first it's kind of messed up, and it can potentially ruin your tablet in theory (so read the instructions carefully), and after you flash/wipe a few times, you'll understand what is going wrong and where it's going wrong, and what you need to do to fix it :D

It took me about 3 hours to unlock/root/etc my N7, though I wasn't using Wug's toolkit (which is a great tool for the typical user, but when I break something and fix it, I usually keep breaking it and fixing it to see what happens). What isn't so great about Wug's is the part when you get into using TWRP and multirom, and having to deal with really inefficient instructions that seemed to have been written as though ADB sideload doesn't exist (I love ADB sideload, personally- it puts everything in a nice little folder than is easily deletable with your favorite file manager and it doesn't matter at all whether or not you can boot into the operating system to make USB debugging work). Also the ADB sideload function on his toolkit doesn't work a lot of the time, and will sometimes restart the device for no reason and make you wait, or worse, make you boot into native (which is annoying when you're trying to install an alt environment like CM and you have to slam the door shut on the billion Google Apps that want to break down your door).

Not to say I don't have the utmost respect for/use his tool when I need to, it just has some weird quirks that I don't care for. If I'm busy with something else I'll usually use his toolkit just because it takes very little input to get what you want, usually, unless the drivers are f'd up. Another nice thing- linux drivers are actually easier in this case, somehow.

Ashish Malviya1

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
You dont need to go ASUS...You just.. do below steps:-
1. If your N7 showing unlock symbol and logo only, Just press Power key and volume down key.
2. Now you are in recovery mode.
3. Just installed the nexus root toolkit latest version, whatever is available.
4. connect you N7 with your system and open the rootkit.
5.He will ask or detect the devise name and version.
6.not just click on flash stock+unroot
7.next click ok, Ok. the toolkit will do every thing automatically .
Now you have fresh new OS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm