Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just bought LTE Nexus 7 (2013)

I just bought the LTE version and read about unlocking and rooting and am wondering if I should do this before I use it too long. I am confused about how to do it and if I should update it to the latest version first and how. Please help a newbie out. Also, any other tips would be appreciated. I plan to take advantage of the T-Mobile free 200 megs per month deal. thanks

Default Re: Just bought LTE Nexus 7 (2013)

Hello. Congrats on the LTE Nexus 7.

First let me ask is there a particular reason behind wanting to unlock and root? Unlocking the device is very simple and rooting isn't much harder either.

If you are considering ever doing one or the other my suggestion is to unlock the bootloader on the device now since doing so means the internal storage is wiped on the device. So best to do it now before you get the device loaded and setup how you like it only to lose everything when you unlock the bootloader.

Once you do unlock the bootloader you can leave it that way as long as you like. If you decide at some point to move further and root then that can be achieved very easily. If you decide that you want to sell the device or have it serviced for warranty related work then locking it back up is very simple and won't harm your data and leave behind any signs of you tampering with the bootloader. Its a Nexus, that's the beauty of a Nexus verses branded devices that are designed to leave a trail or red flag that you tampered with the device.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I read on other websites to do unlock and root before doing much with it. Also I read that it may be unlocked already, but do not know how to tell. If I do it, should I update to the latest android version before? I was also looking for other tips for setting it up. which is why I posted a similar question on the other forum.

Global Posts
    6,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by coreyfr View Post
    I read on other websites to do unlock and root before doing much with it. Also I read that it may be unlocked already, but do not know how to tell. If I do it, should I update to the latest android version before? I was also looking for other tips for setting it up. which is why I posted a similar question on the other forum.
    They recommend that because a lot of people who buy Nexus devices like to tinker with their phone. If you don't have a specific reason for doing it, there's no need to unlock it. Some benefits are root only apps and being able to flash other ROMs or recoveries, but if you're happy with it now and don't need that, there's no reason to do it. Even though it is relatively easy on a Nexus device

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

thanks Will it be a pain if I decided to unlock it in the future? Also, I read somewher that it may already be unlocked.

Global Posts
    6,770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by coreyfr View Post
    thanks Will it be a pain if I decided to unlock it in the future? Also, I read somewher that it may already be unlocked.
    Well, unlocking the bootloader wipes your device, so that might be an issue for you if you wait until later on. I'm pretty sure the LTE version is locked out of the box
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

How can I tell if it is unlocked already?

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

All LTE nexus 7 devices even if they came with att or t-mobile sim are unlocked by default. As far as rooting congrats man you're going to have a blast with it trust me, becareful though and make some backups of the stock firmware and also of what ever rom you flash just to be on the safe side.
    Galaxy S3 Quantum Rom based off CM11
    Galaxy S4 MDOB T.W ROM KToonez Kernel
    Nexus 7 2013 Carbon ROM Faux123 OC Kernel
    For app reviews and Rom reviews follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/OnEmOsPhErE86