Nexus 7: No longer rooted?

Stamponephoto

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So I think I may be in over my head lol. I have a Nexus 7 2013 That is unlocked and WAS rooted. For some reason that is no longer the case. My main concern is that I would like to be able to update my devise but that for some reason isn't working. I am receiving the OTA updates and it says they are downloaded but when I go to install them it takes me to TWRP but nothing happens. I have read that my best bet it to just return to stock recovery. After some research I was going to just fastboot the stock recovery. I used to be able get to the bootloader through an app, but it was't working so I checked and lo and behold I am no longer rooted. Now I know I can still get to the bootloader easily enough, but now I am concerned about no longer being rooted. I have no plans on doing anything to crazy with the tablet. I would just like a stock ROM to keep OTAs and to be rooted. And I definitely do not want to have to wipe the device if possible.
If anyone could offer some advice I would really appreciate it

Device: Nexus 7 2013
Android 4.3 JSS15J
unlocked, but not rooted (apparently)
Desktop: Windows

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

Have you looked in your App Drawer to see if you have SuperUser or SuperSU app? This is required as part of the rooting process.

The only way to receive OTA's successfully is to root the stock OS and leave everything in place, no removal of anything. Once you do that it breaks the OTA process. There are no ROMs that you can flash via TWRP that will allow you to receive OTAs.

Two options.. Flash the factory images and reset the device then enjoy any future OTAs or if your still rooted then find a well supported ROM and enjoy it because most good developers constantly update their ROMs to support any and all official updates that are released.

Stamponephoto

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

Have you looked in your App Drawer to see if you have SuperUser or SuperSU app? This is required as part of the rooting process.

The only way to receive OTA's successfully is to root the stock OS and leave everything in place, no removal of anything. Once you do that it breaks the OTA process. There are no ROMs that you can flash via TWRP that will allow you to receive OTAs.

Two options.. Flash the factory images and reset the device then enjoy any future OTAs or if your still rooted then find a well supported ROM and enjoy it because most good developers constantly update their ROMs to support any and all official updates that are released.

Yes I do have SuperSU installed, but when open it I get an error message that reads, "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!" I believe I have a factory ROM flashed at the moment,(but not 100%sure) If I do as you suggest and I "Flash the factory images and reset the device " would I loose my data correct?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes you would loose your data by flashing the factory images.

If you have TWRP recovery installed there is an option to try and get SuperUser properly installed.

Download this file below and place it on your internal storage (sdcard) of the Nexus 7. Boot into TWRP recovery and Install (Flash) this SuperSU file. Reboot and then check to make sure your SuperSU works.

Attachments

• UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173