Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 with CM and other stuff

I decided to put CyanogenMod on my Nexus 7 (2013). The main reasons I chose CM were Privacy Guard and the fact that I don't really use many Google applications (other than Earth, YouTube). It's my first custom ROM, though, and I still have a lot to customize and install at this point - so do you think CM is the best choice in my case?

I've also heard I'm supposed to use a custom kernel for CM (right now it's only flashed with cm-10.2.1-flo.zip, probably going to update to M5 today). Which one should I use, and what does it improve?

Last, but not least... Gapps. I went through dozens of threads discussing this, and they mostly revolve around privacy issues/"issues" as well as using alternative markets for installing apps. Like I said, my real question here is -- as I don't really use many of Googles applications, do I need to install Gapps at all? Right now I can think of three apps I would use - Play, Earth, YouTube. I suppose they can be installed separately? Do I need any other, or should the device work without them just fine?

Global Posts
    20,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Nexus 7 with CM and other stuff

CM isn't a bad choice to start with. Fairly minimal compared to some other custom ROMs.

As for gapps, I would still install them.You won't get the Play store without it. As for other app markets, what do you use?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Nexus 7 with CM and other stuff

I found a customizable GApps package on XDA, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, so I just used the one available from CM site. I use "disable" button in Settings/Apps for apps I don't use (Hangouts, Gmail...), which is pretty much what I used to do with stock devices. Also, I upgraded CM to M5.
    Privacy Guard is definitely the main reason, but I read the permissions can again be tweaked using 3rd party tools on stock from version 4.4.2 on.