Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Able to Use External USB Devices

I know you can use external hard drives, keyboards, etc. on the GSIII - can you do the same on the Nexus7? Not having a microSD slot is an issue for me, but I would survive if it would be possible to connect an external HDD (movies, etc.)

Thanks!

Default Re: Able to Use External USB Devices

The Galaxy Nexus did not come with this out of the box, but an app was developed to allow it if you're willing to root your device. I'm sure the same will be true with the Nexus 7.
    DrDoppio likes this.

Yeah, I have to think that the Dev community is going to be all over this thing.
    nkd

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...idcentral00-20

I read up on this today and alot of people report that you can use this host cable and it works on most tablets. There was no mention of using any app to get this to work.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

Never thought about this but it'd be nice to hook up an external HD to my GN lol

So theoretically, using that Amazon host cable, I should be able to plug my portable harddrive into the tablet, and access my pictures, music, and movies on the device then? Because that would be nice...basically using my portable harddrive as an alternative, "giant" sd card.

Per the Nexus 7 Guide book it looks like the USB host is active so yes it will work with keyboards and mice. It may require the app to mount a storage device though.

http://commondatastorage.googleapis...._2670257_en_v0

"Connect to keyboards, mice, & other devices
    You can connect a keyboard, mouse, or even a joystick or other
    input device to your tablet via usb or bluetooth and use it just as
    you would with a PC.
    You may need an adapter to connect the keyboard or other device
    to your tablets USB port. To connect more than one USB device
    at a time, use a powered usb hub to reduce the drain on your tablets battery.
    You pair and connect bluetooth input devices to your tablet in the
    same way as any other bluetooth device."

Didn't see this thread before I started the USB-OTG one, sorry. Mods if you want to delete my post on USB-OTG, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nkd View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...idcentral00-20

I read up on this today and alot of people report that you can use this host cable and it works on most tablets. There was no mention of using any app to get this to work.

This is just a cable, male-microUSB to female-USB, and has nothing to do with host mode. This cannot over ride what the OS doesn't have.

This will be needed for usb-2-ethernet, usb keyboards/mice etc. but cannot mount storage devices. You can plug them in, sure, but if the OS doesn't recognize the device it won't do any good.

This link has been posted before: AnandTech - Google Nexus 7 and Android 4.1 - Mini Review

Read the end on the OTG and the part about supporting storage "natively".

The reason google have blocked OTG flash devices to to persuade you to use the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Inishatr View Post
    The reason google have blocked OTG flash devices to to persuade you to use the cloud.
    Click to view quoted image
    Nope.. because of Microsoft.. they will have to pay royalty i believe.
    I might be wrong.

I haven't tried this yet, but there is an app that claims you can use a flash drive or SD card with it (no root),

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5pbXBvcnRlciJd
    fabchi and s13n like this.

I bought the cable from China on ebay. (well who are we kidding all the cables are made in china) for $1.99 which included shipping to my door. (Everything is more expensive on Amazon folks! You can find a USA supplier on ebay cheaper too)
    Micro USB 2.0 OTG Data Host Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3 Nokia N900 HTC EVO Nexus | eBay

Use CLOUDFTP if you dont mind spending the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Wrecked View Post
    I haven't tried this yet, but there is an app that claims you can use a flash drive or SD card with it (no root),

I have the app and it does work as advertised. Transferred a song from usb flash drive to N7 a few hours ago, no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    s13n likes this.

I just used part of my $25 Google Play credit to get the 'Nexus media importer' app. It works as advertised. OTG cable, 32gig microSD card, and a usb card reader- and I was able to stream my .mp4 movies to my unrooted Nexus 7. The app wont let you write to the sd card, but you can import pictures, songs, and videos to the tablet.
    Stefan Bosch likes this.

I use it and I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Wrecked View Post

---------- Post Merged at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:09 PM ----------

What about movies? can you see them? How's the quality?

Quote Originally Posted by fabchi View Post
    I use it and I like it

---------- Post Merged at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:09 PM ----------

What about movies? can you see them? How's the quality?
    Quality of movies is fine its like playing them of a sd card. I played a NFL game in 720p fine not one problem and sound and picture was all in sync.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I use a Seagate goflex satellite so I can share 500 GB of movies between my Nexus 7, wife's ipad, and kids ipod touch all concurrently streaming hd.

Does anybody know how to transfer from the Nexus y to a Usb using the cable?
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vichy View Post
    Does anybody know how to transfer from the Nexus y to a Usb using the cable?
    As far as I know you can't write to the usb device. You would have to have root privileges.

I loaded Nexus Media importer and used a OTG cable. When I downloaded music files (WMA) to a USB flash drive PowerAMP would not find the files. However the same files loaded directly on the Nexus 7 were able to be played. Don't know how to get PowerAmp to recognizre the usb files.

Send a request email to the app developer asking for adding a mine type (WMA in your case) as default to the app. then "Nexus Media Importer" will recognize the music files.

Good luck !

SLo
    Stefan Bosch and stevepike like this.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Nexus Media importer now supports NFTS format. I have a 300G seagate go external drive (NFTS) loaded with movies and they play great. The drive is small enough to fit in my Nexus case (TUCANO) pocket so able to carry everything I need to watch movies.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    This is just a cable, male-microUSB to female-USB, and has nothing to do with host mode.
    Actually, it's not "just" a cable, and it has everything to do with switching the USB port into host mode:

A full-size USB cable has 4 pins. A micro-USB cable has 5. One of those pins is open for a normal cable, but grounded for OTG.

A Nexus 7 does indeed support OTG. Even without adding an app, if you plug in an OTG cable, then a USB mouse, a mouse pointer will immediately appear on the screen, and respond to the mouse. Likewise, if you plug in a USB keyboard, the tablet will recognize and respond to it as well.

The rub is that it won't, straight out of the box, recognize and mount storage devices. But the $3 app that "Dixie Wrecked" referred to, "Nexus Media Importer" (the developer also has a free app that just views pictures) will recognize and mount storage devices, rather nicely (albeit as read-only devices).

Or you can root the tablet, and use more advanced apps.
    Stefan Bosch likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast