1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 USB-OTG supported but...

No usb storage. Things like usb-to-ethernet and keyboards/mice will be ok, but mounting storage will not be available natively.

Good reason to root this as soon as possible, probably will be needed to mount external storage.

Default Re: Nexus 7 USB-OTG supported but...

Humor me as this affects the 8 vs 16 GB decision.

Are you saying I cant take my 1TB passport and hook it up to the n7? Or that I cant use the n7 in USB mode?
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    Humor me as this affects the 8 vs 16 GB decision.

Are you saying I cant take my 1TB passport and hook it up to the n7? Or that I cant use the n7 in USB mode?
    Passport drive won't work because you can't "mount" the drive (if you know unix, you understand) at least natively. When you connect ethernet to usb, or a usb keyboard it will be recognized, but usb flash memory, or external sata/ssd drives won't be recognized. But if usb-otg is there, it will only be a matter of time before a developer will come up with an app or system fix that will do this. The issue then will be drivers for the storage device will need to be developed as well I guess. Stock Linux drivers may or may not work.

And of course, how to get them loaded on the device. Probably need website downloads for it, initially.

Someone else have thoughts on this?

Anyway, I'd suggest 16GB just because when it comes to storage, more is always better.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Quattrimus ICS - AOKP

Actually so you guys know, someone over at XDA tested it and usb flash memory does work if your device is rooted and has StickMount on it. Thats why Im getting the 8 GB. Considering I was already going to root my device, I'll just use my external hard drive. The thing is, the drive must be NTFS or FAT16/32. ExFat won't work. And you prob want FAT because NTFS is read only.
    Thanked by:

Yep I'm a newbie have so much to learn about android. Just wanted to say Hi all. want the nexus 7 tablet not sure about rooting ect.

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

ext3/4 work in r/w from what I saw over there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Proud EVO3D owner
    Running CleanROM