N7 Manual - USB Transfers Supported

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is the Nexus 7 Manual.

On page 69, they describe how to transfer files from your PC to the Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=gKmQD47OvCYC&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&authuser=0&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA69

If this truly is the case, then my deal-breaker is solved and I will return my Tab 2 to Costco and order a Nexus 7 straight away.

Do others find this credible, that indeed you can move music, videos, files, etc, via USB Versus having to rely on that clunky Google Cloud? There has been so many reports that this will not work without rooting the device, yet here it is in the Manual saying you can in fact do it.

I'd appreciate input on this, as this is the one feature that I must have before ordering or deciding to stick with my trusty and pretty darn nice, Tab 2 7.0

UPDATE: Just found this thread relating to the USB Functionality:

"Google just answered my question regarding external storage!!! by mcnabney on Thursday, June 28, 2012
This is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Google. It was my pleasure assisting you today.

Though the Nexus 7 doesn’t include an SD card slot, we offer a 16 GB version if you’re looking for additional storage. Yes you can use an external storage through the microUSB.

If there is anything further we can assist you with, please feel free to reply directly to this email or visit our help center at http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.p...

Regards,

Jon
The Google Play Team"

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Verified. I've been doing it since last week.

attachment.php

What people have been complaining about is the lack of support for USB storage (like Thumb drives and SD cards). The N7 uses MTP for transfer, just like the Galaxy Nexus does.

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jeff, sorry for being just a wee bit dense on this...

To clarify.

Yes indeed, I will be able to drag and drop between my PC and the N7.

No, I will not be able to carry a USB card reader or thumb drive around with me to transfer files in that manner?

If this is correct, that is a solution enough for me to buy the N7.

Thanks Again!!!!

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
yes you can transfer from the PC but not from a external hard drive or card reader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
OK - my thickness has been permeated. I now get it

PC to N7 Transfer will work for me. Hopefully in some future upgrade maybe the external reader feature will be added.

If not, I am not afraid to root after I see more reports of stable procedures to do so. I rooted my wife's Nook Tablet and that went fine. (A pretty darn good device once rooted)

Thank you!

I'll be pre-ordering the 16 GB N7 tomorrow after I return the Tab 2 to Costco. (gotta love their 90 day return policy!)

etho201

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to play movies directly from an external hard drive? Or is this functionality something the dev community can bring to the device?

etho201

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
So far it seems you cannot read files directly from external storage without a little extra work. According to this thread you CAN play/read movies/content directly from external storage IF you transfer the file to the nexus, and then back to the external storage. Someone suggested it is likely due to encryption; I think it might have to do with the way the file permissions are modified during the transfer.

For those worried about lack of storage (USB-OTG discussion thread) - Page 13 - xda-developers

Last edited:

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I will be carrying around a Tmobile Hotspot which has a microSD slot in the hotspot, this will give me quick access to additional movies and such that I may want to carry around....its actually a pretty decent solution.

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Whatever happened to the rumor that ASUS would release their own version of the Nexus later this summer? I keep hoping the Memo 370T is still out there somewhere...