GPS and Maps
11-17-2012 03:45 AM
- With Wi-Fi only, and assuming no tethering done, will the Navigation and Maps work with map data downloaded for offline use? I'm thinking it should, but can anybody who already has a 7 actually confirm this?
It would make a sweet in-car nav system with that screen size...07-04-2012 10:33 AM
- You can download areas, but still can't really get all of a state and certainly can't download a whole country with Google maps. And you just get the map - no navigation. With Sygic you can download all of North America, Europe, the Middle East, etc. and navigate anywhere. - sheureka07-04-2012 04:39 PM
- 07-04-2012 11:31 PMLike 1
- You can download areas, but still can't really get all of a state and certainly can't download a whole country with Google maps. And you just get the map - no navigation. With Sygic you can download all of North America, Europe, the Middle East, etc. and navigate anywhere. - sheureka
Unless you have wifi in your car....LOL
Common Sense.07-05-2012 06:21 AM
- Yes, download the maps from Google and they should work. However don't forget that Google isn't the only place to get maps. There are several good map apps available on the play store. I like Navfree and Copilot. Depending on where you live make sure you get the best one for the country you live in.07-05-2012 06:29 AM
- Not really...........unless you either cache the maps for offline use, or use a third party program (like the ones mentioned above), that store the maps on your device. Without an internet connection, there is no way to pull maps down. Remember, that stuff isn't stored on your tablet, but in the cloud, on Google maps.
I will look into downloading the entire map to my G-Nexus as soon as it gets the jelly bean update. I am not going to start using my GS-III until I can try out jelly bean and Google Now which looks awesome.
Thanks again!07-06-2012 03:45 PM
- 11-15-2012 06:43 AM
- Nav seems to work well for me
An OUTSTANDING app that I have used for quite some time on the DroidX is BackCountry Navigator. I have used this on my DroidX phone extensively and it works flawlessly with the nexus7.
Not for navigation like Google Maps but it is invaluable for hunting and offroading.
Free imagery, topo maps down to 1:24, stored tracks, waypoints, pictures, etc......great for my needs but not a NAV program. Accuracy is spot on from a trip just today.11-17-2012 02:11 AM
- For me--and this could just be my device, as it has weird issues with other stock google stuff--I can't use Navigation or Google Maps offline (and yes, I have the entire area cached offline). I even tried starting something on Maps with wifi, just so I could remember the address, but as soon as I was out of network it stopped working altogether. When I try Navigation offline, it's stuck "loading" forever.
I use CoPilot, which works great. There's a free version, but it doesn't have text-to-voice or 3d maps (fine if you're walking somewhere, but impractical if you're the driver). For $10 you can dl the entire USA map, plus have TTV/3d maps + 1 year of traffic (useless on wifi N7's). Plus, you get tons of offline POI's (great if you're in an unfamiliar area and want to say, check out the local shops or go get groceries/gas)11-17-2012 03:45 AM
- Google Hardware, Services & Apps
- More Google Devices & Services
- Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
GPS and Maps
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD