GPS and Maps

mraviator

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
With Wi-Fi only, and assuming no tethering done, will the Navigation and Maps work with map data downloaded for offline use? I'm thinking it should, but can anybody who already has a 7 actually confirm this?

It would make a sweet in-car nav system with that screen size...

sheureka

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the 7 but have an Asus Transformer and use Sygic for off the grid navigation all the time, including in Mexico. No reason it wouldn't work on the 7. - sheureka

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Google maps now allows you to save data for offline use. Just download whatever area you're going to be in before you leave (it can save very large areas), then all you need is GPS.

sheureka

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can download areas, but still can't really get all of a state and certainly can't download a whole country with Google maps. And you just get the map - no navigation. With Sygic you can download all of North America, Europe, the Middle East, etc. and navigate anywhere. - sheureka

Doxcyguy617

May 26, 2010
Visit site
So below is the list of features available on the N-7.

Since is has GPS listed, won't it work as a GPS as my Galaxy Nexus does now without tethering to the G-Nexus?

FEATURES
Microphone
NFC (Android Beam)
Accelerometer
GPS
Magnetometer
Gyroscope

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So below is the list of features available on the N-7.

Since is has GPS listed, won't it work as a GPS as my Galaxy Nexus does now without tethering to the G-Nexus?

FEATURES
Microphone
NFC (Android Beam)
Accelerometer
GPS
Magnetometer
Gyroscope

Not really...........unless you either cache the maps for offline use, or use a third party program (like the ones mentioned above), that store the maps on your device. Without an internet connection, there is no way to pull maps down. Remember, that stuff isn't stored on your tablet, but in the cloud, on Google maps.

Reactions: Doxcyguy617

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You can download areas, but still can't really get all of a state and certainly can't download a whole country with Google maps. And you just get the map - no navigation. With Sygic you can download all of North America, Europe, the Middle East, etc. and navigate anywhere. - sheureka

Yes definitely use the $25 credit to purchase a NAV app that works offline and lets you download offline maps.

Unless you have wifi in your car....LOL:)

Common Sense.

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, download the maps from Google and they should work. However don't forget that Google isn't the only place to get maps. There are several good map apps available on the play store. I like Navfree and Copilot. Depending on where you live make sure you get the best one for the country you live in.

Doxcyguy617

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Not really...........unless you either cache the maps for offline use, or use a third party program (like the ones mentioned above), that store the maps on your device. Without an internet connection, there is no way to pull maps down. Remember, that stuff isn't stored on your tablet, but in the cloud, on Google maps.

Aaahhh, ok, now I've got it. Even though it says it above, I did not realize that the entire "map database" is not stored on the phone. I didn't realize it comes down in pieces as you drive.

I will look into downloading the entire map to my G-Nexus as soon as it gets the jelly bean update. I am not going to start using my GS-III until I can try out jelly bean and Google Now which looks awesome.

Thanks again!;)

sos710m

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the 7 but have an Asus Transformer and use Sygic for off the grid navigation all the time, including in Mexico. No reason it wouldn't work on the 7. - sheureka

How much does Sygic cost? In the play store it's listed as free 7 day trial only.

anon4843263

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Nav seems to work well for me

An OUTSTANDING app that I have used for quite some time on the DroidX is BackCountry Navigator. I have used this on my DroidX phone extensively and it works flawlessly with the nexus7.

Not for navigation like Google Maps but it is invaluable for hunting and offroading.

Free imagery, topo maps down to 1:24, stored tracks, waypoints, pictures, etc......great for my needs but not a NAV program. Accuracy is spot on from a trip just today.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
For me--and this could just be my device, as it has weird issues with other stock google stuff--I can't use Navigation or Google Maps offline (and yes, I have the entire area cached offline). I even tried starting something on Maps with wifi, just so I could remember the address, but as soon as I was out of network it stopped working altogether. When I try Navigation offline, it's stuck "loading" forever.

I use CoPilot, which works great. There's a free version, but it doesn't have text-to-voice or 3d maps (fine if you're walking somewhere, but impractical if you're the driver). For $10 you can dl the entire USA map, plus have TTV/3d maps + 1 year of traffic (useless on wifi N7's). Plus, you get tons of offline POI's (great if you're in an unfamiliar area and want to say, check out the local shops or go get groceries/gas)