Is the Nexus 7 for me?

anon(818769)

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
Kinda new here and this is my first thread. Ok, so I am very intrigued by the Nexus 7 coming out and I'm starting to want one more and more. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if I could do anything different with this tablet that my laptop or android phone can't already do. The only things I'm thinking of are books, and maybe taking notes in class. Thoughts?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Got to ask yourself what do you think you could use it for. It will do everything your phone does but make calls basically. For me I use my tablet to surf the web and watch movies most of the time. Now I can do both on my phone but a few more inches of screen makes it a much better experience. I have a Xoom now and I find that I don't take it out of the house much due to size. The 7 inch nexus might be better for me to take out than the Xoom or a laptop. So if you want a bigger version of your phone and something that's more portable than a laptop give the nexus7 a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: anon(818769)

seanmten

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Got to ask yourself what do you think you could use it for. It will do everything your phone does but make calls basically. For me I use my tablet to surf the web and watch movies most of the time. Now I can do both on my phone but a few more inches of screen makes it a much better experience. I have a Xoom now and I find that I don't take it out of the house much due to size. The 7 inch nexus might be better for me to take out than the Xoom or a laptop. So if you want a bigger version of your phone and something that's more portable than a laptop give the nexus7 a shot.

Yeah TNT hit it on the head. There's nothing new that it can do, but it can do a few things better than both devices. Its more portable than a laptop, but has more screen real estate than a phone. Movies books etc will be easier to use, or are presented better than on a phone/laptop, but that's not to say that either of those devices are incapable of doing anything this tablet does.
Personally I see myself using this for the times I want to browse the web but don't want to hassle with the laptop (quite often for me) and the times my android phone doesn't have the size or speed to accomplish my actions (or accomplish them comfortably.) For me these two circumstances happen quite often, but YMMV.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: anon(818769)

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Was never in the tablet market because honestly, I just cant find a use for them. Another device to lug around, really? Most people I know with tabs (ipads), rarely use them other than a few mags on the subway. What I always wanted was a Windows OS tablet optimized on a slate. I will get my wish later this year (re: M$ Surface Pro).

Until then thought even without good reason, a 200+tax+ship Jelly Bean tab is just simply going to be tech indulgence... just because consumerism...THAT IS ALL.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
was never in the tablet market because honestly, i just cant find a use for them. Another device to lug around, really? Most people i know with tabs (ipads), rarely use them other than a few mags on the subway. What i always wanted was a windows os tablet optimized on a slate. I will get my wish later this year (re: M$ surface pro).

Until then thought even without good reason, a 200+tax+ship jelly bean tab is just simply going to be tech indulgence... Just because consumerism...that is all.

that is a valid reason and worth the money.

quinnsdaddy11

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
My laptop has a 15 inch screen and a sizeable case to fit it all into. I am not always found of lugging it around. Hence why I have a Nexus 7 on pre-order. It's the same reason I have a pocket Nikon camera because I don't want to lug around my SLR all the time.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The reason i'm planning on it is exactly what tnt and sean said above. I'm sick of having to drag a huge laptop (by today's standards its big) out, but i want to surf the web on a bigger screen than my phone.

I want to be able to have something that is a little bit more portable. i have a business trip coming up in august and i'm really looking forward to playing on my nexus 7 all the way.

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I plan on using mine mostly for reading and couch browsing. It'll also be great for trips because of its size, and you can't argue about that price!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I thought the same thing a while ago, but being the tech junkie that I am I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 anyway.

Now, I love it -- much better for "couch browsing" (as someone put it) with the larger screen, plus I have access to all my apps and media and such...but most importantly it is SOOOOO much easier to carry around than my laptop when I'm traveling and don't need a full-blown computer.

To me, the 7" tab is a just a hybrid -- more portable than a full 10" tab, more screen real estate than a cell phone...but I have a feeling I won't find it as useful as either. Who knows though, I may be surprised!

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
im torn because i really would prefer a 9-10" screened tablet, i really dig the new Nexus 7, but i want something bigger. both my wifes and my phone are 4.6-4.8" screens. i have played around with my mom's Kindle Fire, and the 7" size just doesn't do it for me.

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Buy it, if you don't like it give it to your wife (or a random Apple fanboy) and then go buy a 10"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanthan23