Bank statement shows charges already deducted

kaao

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Google says that "Your account will not be charged until your order is shipped," but my account does appear to have been charged pretty much immediately after I placed my order, as the full $228 I paid has been deducted from my account and my remaining balance. So, what's the deal here? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Didn't have time to search the forum extensively.

ratseven

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't been deducted, it's just been "authorized" meaning you don't have the funds and neither do they. It's sort of in limbo so that when the merchant (google) is ready to ship your order, the funds are available. If it's a credit card it will show in pending transactions instead of posted transactions.

:D woo hoo first post!:D

Reactions: kaao

michael13162

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't been deducted, it's just been "authorized" meaning you don't have the funds and neither do they. It's sort of in limbo so that when the merchant (google) is ready to ship your order, the funds are available. If it's a credit card it will show in pending transactions instead of posted transactions.

lol, beat you to it ;)
We must have posted within seconds of each other.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Google says that "Your account will not be charged until your order is shipped," but my account does appear to have been charged pretty much immediately after I placed my order, as the full $228 I paid has been deducted from my account and my remaining balance. So, what's the deal here? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Didn't have time to search the forum extensively.

If this is an ATM/Debit Visa/MC tied to a checking account and it shows as a transaction against his account with the remaining balance and available balance both minus the amount of purchase, then it has been deducted. The funds are already gone, not just authorized

famousstarchriss

#instaflash
May 22, 2012
Visit site
I got the $1 charge and full $283 for the 16gb. It shows pending so it may fall off the next business day or 2 and charge you later when it actually ships. Or... it could be ready to ship lol =X

ratseven

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
If this is an ATM/Debit Visa/MC tied to a checking account and it shows as a transaction against his account with the remaining balance and available balance both minus the amount of purchase, then it has been deducted. The funds are already gone, not just authorized

Not gone, just authorized. The funds are still with the bank, held as an authorization, but not available tot he account holder to spend. The funds are not paid to the merchant until they actually charge your card - which they'll do just prior to shipping. This is the same with both credit cards and debit cards.

Basically when you buy things not yet available to ship/charge for, you still promise to pay the amount of the charge when it is available to charge/ship. So the merchant says to the bank, "yo, i call this much money" and the bank says "word, it's got your name on it for X-days/weeks". And when your item is in a box ready for a shipping label the merchant says to the bank, "yo, gimme my money" and then we all get our Nexus 7s.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just checked my credit card and I have an actual charge on my account. It's no longer a pending charge. I already went through the pre authorization.

I will check this in the morning and see if anything changes.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Is it sad that I just checked my bank account hoping it was $250 shorter?

...and yes I'm aware it was more than that after shipping and such.

Hah, same here.

I've received the full amount "preauth" charge as many people here have but it has since dropped off. Since I charged on my AMEX card, I had initial trouble with my order because of fraud alert and had to approve the charge. Now I'm wondering if I have to do that again when they actually charge my account for shipping.

Quite annoying to say the least

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Not gone, just authorized. The funds are still with the bank, held as an authorization, but not available tot he account holder to spend. The funds are not paid to the merchant until they actually charge your card - which they'll do just prior to shipping. This is the same with both credit cards and debit cards.

Basically when you buy things not yet available to ship/charge for, you still promise to pay the amount of the charge when it is available to charge/ship. So the merchant says to the bank, "yo, i call this much money" and the bank says "word, it's got your name on it for X-days/weeks". And when your item is in a box ready for a shipping label the merchant says to the bank, "yo, gimme my money" and then we all get our Nexus 7s.

That's true IF the funds available is minus the amount of purchase but if the ACTUAL balance is also minus that amount, the funds have been paid to the merchant. The bank can get them back from a reputable merchant, but they are still gone. I wouldn't write a check or make a transaction thinking you have them, depending on circumstances you could get a short check charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci