Apps that don't work on the Nexus 7

kevinchen1102

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
many apps running on nexus 7 has the same user interface just like running on the other android phones.very few apps are redesigned for tablet right?u guys have the same problem?

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Nothing to explain. I used Skype last night with my Jawbone Era Bluetooth and it worked fine. It's a bit hard managing everything in the little display but I'll be using it a lot.

whereitis

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey Phil,
I've heard talks from several different sources saying that the amazon kindle and b&n nook apps, as well as some other amazon offerings, were not available in the play store for the N7. Is this accurate? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I dont know about Kindle, but I downloaded the B&N Nook app with no trouble, and I have sync'ed my library (most of it originally bought using a color Nook) and it all works just fine - unlike numerous other apps I've unsuccessfully tried to install on the Nexus 7.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Whoever said Skype works needs to explain. I read that the camera is NOT useable for skype. I tried and I can connect to calls just fine but NO freaking camera. This nexus 7 has been a real dissapointment. I bought it to run credit cards for my business using Paypal HERE and that APP also DOES NOT WORK on the google nexus 7. Contacted paypal they said it's googles problem. GOOGLE SUPPORT ARE UNEDUCATED ON ALL THINGS GOOGLE AND ARE ZERO HELP. HOW CAN GOOGLE, THE OWNER OF ANDROID PUT OUT ITS OWN TABLET AND NOT FREAKING HAVE IT'S VERY OWN APPS WORK ON IT? IM TIRED OF WAITING....
REFUND TIME.

I agree, google is only good at maps, search and e-mail.
Open source operating system is perfect for them so other people can do their software work while ASUS does their hardware work.
Google does do one thing very well - Collecting $ from advertizements while pretending to be a full service tech company.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Whoever said Skype works needs to explain. I read that the camera is NOT useable for skype. I tried and I can connect to calls just fine but NO freaking camera. This nexus 7 has been a real dissapointment. I bought it to run credit cards for my business using Paypal HERE and that APP also DOES NOT WORK on the google nexus 7. Contacted paypal they said it's googles problem. GOOGLE SUPPORT ARE UNEDUCATED ON ALL THINGS GOOGLE AND ARE ZERO HELP. HOW CAN GOOGLE, THE OWNER OF ANDROID PUT OUT ITS OWN TABLET AND NOT FREAKING HAVE IT'S VERY OWN APPS WORK ON IT? IM TIRED OF WAITING....
REFUND TIME.

Last time I checked, Google doesn't make Skype or Paypal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Kindle for Android works just fine.

---------- Post Merged at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:44 PM ----------

I dont know about Kindle, but I downloaded the B&N Nook app with no trouble, and I have sync'ed my library (most of it originally bought using a color Nook) and it all works just fine - unlike numerous other apps I've unsuccessfully tried to install on the Nexus 7.

Kindle for Android works just fine.

Lynn Ellsworth

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I can download Google apps, Google upgrades, and apps that cost money but every free app I have tried to download sends me this message: "We are unable to verify your account at this time. Please try again in a few minutes". But days later I still can not download any free apps like TED Talks, BBC News, Babble, Zillow Real Estate, etc.
Is there something wrong with my account or is that message a clumsy way for Google to say the free apps are NOT ready for the Nexus 7 version 4.1.1?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I can download Google apps, Google upgrades, and apps that cost money but every free app I have tried to download sends me this message: "We are unable to verify your account at this time. Please try again in a few minutes". But days later I still can not download any free apps like TED Talks, BBC News, Babble, Zillow Real Estate, etc.
Is there something wrong with my account or is that message a clumsy way for Google to say the free apps are NOT ready for the Nexus 7 version 4.1.1?

I downloaded TED fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have more than one account in Play (Menu | Accounts). If not, I'd go to Settings | Apps, click All, find Play store, click Clear data, then run Play again. It will have to resync, but that might clear up whatever the glitch is.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
A little obvious, but I half the tools in Smart Tools aren't compatible because of the lack of rear camera. Though, I could see certain (cumbersome) workarounds like facing opposite to the object you're pointing at.

Womp womp. Every day I come across neat apps that require rear cameras. Would love to use a PDF scanner. Would love to add pics of say, the prof's blackboard notes or something I need to remember to Evernote. Would love to add pics of anything other than my face on Instagram/fb. Would love to use Smart Tools.

As someone who never uses 'facetime' and does not take that many pictures of my face, I really would have loved a $279 16gb with rear camera.

paulbasel

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The Economist works fine in 4.0 but doesn't work in 4.1 and the company knows it, but has no immediate plans to update their app to accommodate Jelly Bean

Paul.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A slew of Google apps got updated today, but I noticed Shopper is able to be installed from the play store now. You had to side load it previously.

The Slingplayer for tablets app also got a nice update today. The UI used to be funky on the N7. Now it's very nice, although there seems to be a weird bug that's triggering Google Now when I use the back button to leave the app.

vgjfelix

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I just posted this in the hints and tips thread but it might be useful for this thread too.

If you have an older Android device and find an app on the Nexus 7 that's incompatible then you can try this little trick.

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Gonna keep a running list of apps I use that aren't available on the Nexus 7. And by that I mean not able to install from Google Play, which is what most folks do.

Presumably some will be checking for a camera, and that'll cause problems. Others ... I dunno what their deal is.

• Delta Air Lines - No idea why it's not available
    [*]Instagram - presumably because the tablet doesn't have a rear-facing camera
  • CNN - Though that's not necessarily a bad thing? :p
  • HBO Go - Grrrrrrrrrr
Why doesn't HBO Go work? Because of Jelly Bean or is it something with the Nexus?

The same question for this since I wanted to use Square for billing:
Square and other payment card readers wont work on the Nexus 7 Tablet. Anyone know of any card reader that works? THANKS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34