Apps that don't work on the Nexus 7

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Gonna keep a running list of apps I use that aren't available on the Nexus 7. And by that I mean not able to install from Google Play, which is what most folks do.

Presumably some will be checking for a camera, and that'll cause problems. Others ... I dunno what their deal is.

• Delta Air Lines - No idea why it's not available
    [*]Instagram - presumably because the tablet doesn't have a rear-facing camera
  • CNN - Though that's not necessarily a bad thing? :p
  • HBO Go - Grrrrrrrrrr

motty69

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that most things that are not available just need to be updated for Jellybean. I just checked and HBO Go specifically states the last update supports up to 4.04.

seanmten

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey Phil,
I've heard talks from several different sources saying that the amazon kindle and b&n nook apps, as well as some other amazon offerings, were not available in the play store for the N7. Is this accurate? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

skappy7

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about that too. I have the Slingplayer on my Evo 3D and would love to see it work on a tablet. I don't want to spend another $30 on the tablet version.

I just checked the play store, there are two versions: For phones and for tablets....disheartening, i don't want to drop another $30 for a tablet version...

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
^ yeah thats always been a pain in the ____ with Slingplayer. (Trying having iOS as well - two MORE $30 apps).

I have the Android one for tablets, but am hoping it will be usable in Jelly Bean. I will report once I get my Nexus 7.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I just checked the play store, there are two versions: For phones and for tablets....disheartening, i don't want to drop another $30 for a tablet version...

^ yeah thats always been a pain in the ____ with Slingplayer. (Trying having iOS as well - two MORE $30 apps).

I have the Android one for tablets, but am hoping it will be usable in Jelly Bean. I will report once I get my Nexus 7.

Back when I got my Galaxy Tab, I was able to load the "phone version" of Slingplayer that I had already purchased just fine...but eventually ended up buying the tab version anyway because it supported higher quality video and better UI and controls...so now I have both. I would think that with the 7" screen of Nexus 7, if you already have purchased the phone version you should be able to roll with it if you don't feel like spending extra $$$...but that's a different story as far as whether you can even install it on JB.

I'm still waiting on my Nexus 7...and a new power supply for my Slingbox(!), so I'm not sure yet what works.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm with you on that one, I'd like to use that $25 credit on other things than a new SP.:'(

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey Phil,
I've heard talks from several different sources saying that the amazon kindle and b&n nook apps, as well as some other amazon offerings, were not available in the play store for the N7. Is this accurate? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oh man! Can somebody verify this please??? I can't live without my Kindle app. That will be a huge disappointment for me if that's the case.

I'm sure Amazon will be working on an update to make it JB compatible but I need it NOW!

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Isn't this sort of the normal deal when a new major or semi-major version of Android is released?

App makers need to test the 4.1 sdk and the 7/Galaxy to make sure there aren't any issue with their apps, and some want to go as far as adapting their app to better make use of any new features from the new version.