USB / Bluetooth tethering possible?

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Any know if this will be possible to do via your phone?

Mine will mostly be used at home but it would be good to use when you have wifi connection

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, it depends on what you are bluetooth tethering to.

Speed can be limited by either A) the version of bluetooth or B) by the bandwidth of your internet connection (such as your 3G/4G speed on wireless, or your modem speed on a home network).

The Nexus 7 supports Bluetooth 4.0 (I think) which means speeds up to 24 mbps transfers to OTHER Bluetooth 4.0 (and 3.0) devices. If you are tethering to an older phone that only supports Bluetooth 2.0, then the transfer will be capped at 3 mbps. (Version 1.2 and under would be less than 1 mbps).

Maybe that helps? :-\

Reactions: clarker07

Khanhathan

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I can tether a network connection to my Nexus 7 with bluetooth? Or would that still be considered a mobile hotspot connection by my phone provider?

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, technically I don't think it's called mobile hotspot unless it is over wifi.

However, using your phone for tethering does require a tethering (or a mobile hotspot) plan on your carrier. Even though there are some methods out there to bypass this, doing so without their permission would likely violate your user agreement.

Reactions: myl0tt

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have successfully done this today but my connection times out and then i have to restart it. Any ideas on how to keep that connection on even when the screens are sleeping?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So I can tether a network connection to my Nexus 7 with bluetooth? Or would that still be considered a mobile hotspot connection by my phone provider?

I have this set up on bluetooth and on/working the past 6-7 hrs and working fine. On suggestion in another thread I got PDANet and FoxFi. Mine is not a MHS. I had it cut out just once - reconnected and still running now. I can't seem to download anything from GP - says 'waiting for network' but internet is working' although the Internet is slower but not unbearable. I'm guessing GP is having a problem.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

DestinedtoGame

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to download anything from GP - says 'waiting for network' but internet is working' although the Internet is slower but not unbearable. I'm guessing GP is having a problem.

There was another guy who said the same thing. So that guy, you, and myself, make 3 people who have issues with GP and PDA Net. I have also noticed that the net goes awfully slow for having 4G. Also, I should note that I can't download a thing. Even pictures from the net.

What ever happened to Easy Teether?

Fyi_thx

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with the play store and pdanet tablet and foxfi using BT.
I can browse the store but not download apps. "waiting for network"
It works great as soon as I am on wifi.

I also noticed apps like News Republic not working.
Maps, waze, browsing all works fine.

Could it be that not all protocols and ports are tunneled through?

BTW, I am on an ASUS Infinity and my phone is a rooted Atrix 4G where I can't get Wifi Wifi tether to work.

Last edited:

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I wifi tether my N7 to my One X every day for free with my 30$ a month unlimited LTE. It works great. I use the "wifi tether" app. Requires root. Fox-fi will work for some unrooted devices but not all.

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I wifi tether my N7 to my One X every day for free with my 30$ a month unlimited LTE. It works great. I use the "wifi tether" app. Requires root. Fox-fi will work for some unrooted devices but not all.

Not used mine much but tried it and it works fine, will be getting plenty of use while I'm on Holiday

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums

yankswinagain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There are a bunch of apps, GP included, that have issues over bluetooth with foxfi and pdanet. If you look at the settings pull down, it states it has no Internet connection so apps that look for that before connecting may not work. Apps that just try to connect will work... like Chrome. Widgets generally don't update with this connection as well. Frustrating...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
yankswinigain - that's exactly what I get and it is certainly frustrating. I'm told my Rezound does not allow wifi (from my phone) at all -- I forget the term that was used but VZW apparently fixed it so it can't do the wifi thing. My N7 is limited to full wifi on my home network and bluetooth off my phone when I'm not home. I don't do random open wifi connections, to risky.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
yankswinigain - that's exactly what I get and it is certainly frustrating. I'm told my Rezound does not allow wifi (from my phone) at all -- I forget the term that was used but VZW apparently fixed it so it can't do the wifi thing. My N7 is limited to full wifi on my home network and bluetooth off my phone when I'm not home. I don't do random open wifi connections, to risky.

Yeah, they allows lock it down unless you pay a premium. That's why you do it with a third party app, like Fox-fi or wifi-tether. Keeps you from paying those robbers at the cell phone companies to use the data you already played for the way you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

inlikeflint

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
ok, folks. please help me. I have a crappy lg revolution 4g, and nexus 7. I downloaded foxfi to tether, but get a response that says "wifi mode has failed on your phone. Please use bluetooth instead. When I turn on bluetooth, it says I must root in order to use ICS. I thought nexus 7 used jellybean. What am i missing here? I am sorry to ask novice questions. Point me in the right direction please.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Except that ruling only applies to Verizon LTE phones which are on metered plans, not unlimited plans. It was a condition of the bid for the spectrum that they won for LTE.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Except that ruling only applies to Verizon LTE phones which are on metered plans, not unlimited plans. It was a condition of the bid for the spectrum that they won for LTE.

Well still, I've had no issues with PDANet/FoxFi on my Droid Razr w/unlimited data. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63