Google Apps and iPad 2 vs. Nexus 7

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 and have been using it with an external keyboard to replace my laptop and netbook when traveling. I use Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Salesforce.com, Evernote, Catch, Pages, Numbers, and LinkedIn. The only time i bring a laptop or netbook is if I need to make a Powerpoint presentation and the only game I play very infrequently is solitaire. My big complaint with the iPad is the implementation of Google Drive is awful. I can't save files to Google Drive, only view, it's very limiting. I'm pretty sure Android would allow me to use Google drive seamlessly. For my purposes, the 7 inch screen seems like it could work well for the apps I run with an external keyboard.

Can anyone speak to what additional business functionality or better integration with Google Apps I can expect should I move to the Nexus 7 over the iPad?

Appreciate any advice that can be offered. Thanks in advance

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gmail functionality is way better for tags/priority inbox and stuff if you use that. I hate the stock iPad calendar app, but you can buy third party ones. Functionality is the same. Not sure about salesforce.com, never used them. Office apps are great. I use the Transformer 1 as my main laptop, and this thing is faster and smaller. I use office apps, evernote, Drive, Gmail, and Calendar tons, and they work excellently. I actually liked the TF1 for that better than the iPad 2 when I had one. The iPad makes file transfer a few too many steps. Android may make things like that easier.

That said, when I had an iPad, the dropbox integration was fairly good. Dropbox has made some very good iOS API's and a lot of apps use that. Is there a reason you need Drive?

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Gmail functionality is way better for tags/priority inbox and stuff if you use that. I hate the stock iPad calendar app, but you can buy third party ones. Functionality is the same. Not sure about salesforce.com, never used them. Office apps are great. I use the Transformer 1 as my main laptop, and this thing is faster and smaller. I use office apps, evernote, Drive, Gmail, and Calendar tons, and they work excellently. I actually liked the TF1 for that better than the iPad 2 when I had one. The iPad makes file transfer a few too many steps. Android may make things like that easier.

That said, when I had an iPad, the dropbox integration was fairly good. Dropbox has made some very good iOS API's and a lot of apps use that. Is there a reason you need Drive?

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, from what I've been reading, Apple removed all cloud support from iWorks except for their own cloud services and WebDAV services. Now there is no option for saving to google drive directly from iWork's. What's strange, is you can open files from Google Driv, you just cant save modifications back. It's this restriction that is causing me to reconsider Android. I had one of the bad Transformer Primes before the iPad and now I'm a little cautious about going back to a device running android and made by Asus. I was hoping for more reasons to give Android another shot and push me over the edge and buy. I don't use tags/priority in gmail.
Thanks again.

Still hoping I can fine enough reasons to give Android another shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol