Issues with Nexus 7 in Puerto Rico!!

johnnyr666

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Even though Puerto Rico is a US territory Google is treating us as other. I had never noticed the problem until I got my wife the Nexus 7 today. I myself have a Transformer Prime and had thought that the difference between my S3 (Sprint) and the tablet was normal. Well guess what, since the tablets connect via WI-FI the Google play recognizes it as a non US territory and all we get is the basic store. I also checked my wife's S3 (Claro PR) and it has the same problem. My S3 gives me the new store and I found out that ATT, T-Mobile due the same. So here I am very dissapointed that my wife can't enjoy the Nexus 7 to it's fullest. The strangest thing is that we can't buy any apps if we use our tablets on our internet access (NONE). Very strange is that my wife's Nexus 7 says that Play Books and Movies are installed but are nowhere to be found. I can't even remove them to install again. My wife says she does not want me to return it but it's sad she can't make the most of such an amazing device. Google will be hearing from me soon. Any other people from PR, please join and let me know how you are dealing with the issue and please let Google hear us!!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Search for an app called Market Enabler. Never used it personally, but I hear it lets you access the full Market from outside the United States.

Sent from my Nexus 7

johnnyr666

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Other strange thing I forgot to mention is that if I connect our tablets through my Sprint S3's mobile hotspot I can view the new store. But still can't get Play Book or Movie to show up on the Nexus 7.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yea it's the same problem I'm having but it isn't new. It happens with Honeycomb tablets too. I've emailed Google about it countless times as I also have a Galaxy Tab and they do nothing about it. I'm very disappointed that they didn't fix for JB.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
OK I've seen that link but yes it just said Movies weren't supported the first time I saw it. Google's lack of consistency will be their undoing...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

havock999

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Puerto Rico as well on temp assignment. I tried pre ordering a Nexus 7 from the play store but Google wouldn't allow it - strange considering I bought a galaxy nexus for a friend a month ago with no issues. I'm considering either the transformer or n7 but with these play store issues I might wait until i get back to the states.

One idea...

When first got to the island last year Netflix was not yet available. I found a work around by using a VPN with servers in the US (strong VPN - 7$ a month i think). With the VPN service Netflix worked perfectly as if I was in the US - ofcourse it became available here a couple months later so I cancelled the vpn service. I'm thinking this might work with the play store as well?

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, one can get free stuff without issues. It's just that they don't want our money (our currency is US$ for anyone wondering) if it's bought from a tablet.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

yoyocint

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Due to these type of practices the DACO, Puerto Rico Consummer Affairs office is handeling complaints against some companies including Amazon.

I think the best course of action is to file a complaint with them.

I believe it is an impropper businees practice from Google. The will take your money for ordering the device but do not providde the content and other apps as they should in PR.

johnnyr666

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Well have not been able to find away around this yet. Would love to get the Play Store credit and also the Transformers movie. Was able to download Play Movie and Books to my Transformer Prime and work perfect and as long as I connect through my Sprint Hotspot no problems. Nice thing is Barnes & Noble and Zinio are going making some money. So what to say, thanks for nothing google you will be hearing from me tonight.

lazychino

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
i got the same problem, i factory rest the nexus and through an vpn and at least got the google play credit and content but as soon as i connected through a regular connection on pr the google play books, movies and magazine disappear from the menus this a serious problem because it wont let you access books or movies on the tablet i will call google tomorrow to see what they say

johnnyr666

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Thought of factory reset. Does the credit stay in the account? Where did you buy it? Were you able to download transformers movie? I don't think my wife likes the idea of factory reset and start all over again. I'm trying to convince her, then she can buy some books and mags. Keep us up to date lazychino. Thanks guys!

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Other strange thing I forgot to mention is that if I connect our tablets through my Sprint S3's mobile hotspot I can view the new store. But still can't get Play Book or Movie to show up on the Nexus 7.

Sounds like the Google Play Store is connecting you to the store based on the IP address you're on.

But Market enabler should work. Like others posted above, I have never used it since I've never really travelled outside the US.

merg21

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from the US and I find myself with this problem. There's a work around if you use a VPN. I still can't download the free Transformers movie on my nexus 7 tablet but I can on my Cyanogen Mod 9 galaxy tab tablet.

odinmoon

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I bought my Nexus 7 on GameStop and part of the offer said that I was gonna get the Transformers 3 movie and $25 Google Play Credit.
Once I turn on my Nexus 7 I tried to access the Google Play Books, Movies and whatever and I couldn't. Started making my search on the internet and allegedly because of my location (Puerto Rico) I didn't have the permissions to access Google Books or movies.

Do I need to explain a little bit of history? I hope not!

Anyways, I wrote to GameStop about this issue and a few days later they told Me the following:

Dear Juan,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Unfortunately you will need to speak to the manufacturer regarding this issue. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

If you have any additional questions, you can respond to this email; or if you prefer to speak to someone directly, you can reach us 7 days a week 8am to 8pm at 800-883-8895.

Wow! What a way to clean their hands.

Making me think it's not GameStop problem and because Google don't answer regarding this issue apparently it's not their problem either.

If anyone knows how to resolve this matter, please let me know.

I'll keep saying Android Rules! For now :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance