Google Play I want the shipping amount back.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't agree with your definition of a preorder. A preorder means you reserve a copy of said item. You did not order an ADVANCED copy & was not promised one.

These were the terms & you agreed to them. End of story. google play disclosed a shipping time frame of 2-3 weeks.

You are still getting your preorder, just not as fast as you expected.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Wasn't expecting an advanced copy. I didn't even expect it to ship this early in the month. What I was expecting was a copy on launch day. Pretty sure your opinion on what a pre-order is doesn't match up with the general consensus. People don't preorder something to get it days after launch at a higher price. That's just silly and you know it.

Guy 1: "Here's the PC you ordered."
Guy 2: "Hey, this isn't a PC it's a basic 8-button calculator! A PC is a machine that runs an OS and can check the internet and stuff."
Guy 1: "Sorry I don't agree with your definition of a PC. A PC is a personal computer. It computes numeric equations. These were the terms & you agreed to them. End of story. You're still getting your PC, just not the kind you expected."
Guy 2:"Wait, what?"

Last edited:

Drapetomania

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I don't agree with your definition of a preorder. A preorder means you reserve a copy of said item. You did not order an ADVANCED copy & was not promised one.

Where does it state Friday 13 2012 was the official release day? Yes multiple stores sold them today. Multiple people also do 80+ on the freeway, does that mean 80 is the new speed limit?

google play disclosed S&H fees up front with a shipping time frame of 2-3 weeks. These were the terms & you agreed to them. End of story.

Some how ordering from GS makes one a less "loyal" customer because they did not agree to the preorder terms set forth by the play store. This I do not understand. some places released this product with or without consent of google. It happened, time to move on. You are still getting your preorder, just not as fast as you expected.

Why would anyone reserve a copy when you can just go buy it in stores? Turns out it's not reserved for us since we are just getting it as it's available after launch. That's really what's happening. Launch has come and gone and they are still shipping them while they are out in stores.

You either pre-order to get it the first day, or you don't and get it a few days later or so.

The fact that so many people are pissed off--at this launch, in particular--shows that people have certain expectations about pre-orders. I wouldn't expect a fanboy such as yourself to really grasp how Google is in the wrong here, though.

Everyone would have pre-ordered at GameStop had they known what was going to happen, but Google strangely didn't say a word and banked on the fact that people would assume a pre-order is a pre-order.

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't expecting an advanced copy. I didn't even expect it to ship this early in the month. What I was expecting was a copy on launch day. Pretty sure your opinion on what a pre-order is doesn't match up with the general consensus. People don't preorder something to get it days after launch at a higher price. That's just silly and you know it.

Guy 1: "Here's the PC you ordered."
Guy 2: "Hey, this isn't a PC it's a basic 8-button calculator! A PC is a machine that runs an OS and can check the internet and stuff."
Guy 1: "Sorry I don't agree with your definition of a PC. A PC is a personal computer. It computes numeric equations. These were the terms & you agreed to them. End of story. You're still getting your PC, just not the kind you expected."
Guy 2:"Wait, what?"

Price is not relevant. S&H with a 2-3 week window was stated upfront. It was not hidden. you preordered under those conditions.

Once again when wa 7/13/12 the official launch day? Here in CA none of the GS or Sams in my area and others are releasing them, preorder or walk in.

your example does not apply. They are not sending you a playbook when a N7 was ordered. The item order is what is be delivered just not as fast one expected.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Price is not relevant. S&H with a 2-3 week window was stated upfront. It was not hidden. you preordered under those conditions.

Once again when wa 7/13/12 the official launch day? Here in CA none of the GS or Sams in my area and others are releasing them, preorder or walk in.

your example does not apply. They are not sending you a playbook when a N7 was ordered. The item order is what is be delivered just not as fast one expected.

Staples execs have said they called Google and were given the go ahead. That means the launch was intended. My example applies totally. People who pre-ordered were disappointed because while technically anything that is ordered before a launch is a preorder, everybody knows a pre-order means that you get you item on launch day before people who didn't preorder. Just like somebody who gets a calculator when they order a PC is disappointed because while technically it's a PC, everybody knows a PC is something that runs an OS and can surf the web and such. Maybe you should learn how a metaphor works.

quinnsdaddy11

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Or you can also suck it up and take the $25 in Google Play money plus the free Transformers movie. I'll gladly pay shipping for both of those.

I wish they would give us the $25 credit and let us pick our own movie. Because I am not a 5 yr old child who thinks lifeless gray hunks on metal fighting is any fun.

droidnutt1130

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Really? You don't think you should have to pay shipping on something because someone else got one before you?

Show me where it says in your pre-order that you'd have it before everyone else...

For the love of pete...

Usually when you preorder something directly from the manufacturer you assume its to get it first.And i agree,i think we should be refunded on our shipping.Lets start a little online petition sheet and get as many signatures as possible and send it to google.:mad:

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Count me in bro. I have been saying this too.

For that matter, I have no idea why tax was collected but that's probably not on the table.

I outlined my thinking in another thread:

-We had every reason to assume FIFO shipping behavior. We ordered before there was any other way to pre-order one. This cements a place in the queue at the head of the line.
-FIFO is why most of us agreed to $14 shipping (not to mention tax). We wanted it as fast as possible.
-$14 for 2-day is crazy and out of step with e-tailing practices of the last oh, *10 years*
-No one else has had to pay this extra cost (especially the folks trying to police our feelings)
-Google did a poor job here. We're doing them a favor by complaining. It needs to be loud and clear that this is one thing (perhaps the only thing) that Apple does better. Do better in the future Google, and fix the present.

Mistakes are costly. Fixing it quickly with a refund of shipping is the cheapest option.

By fixing the mistake and refunding shipping, Google can be seen by everyone as doing the right thing. This will reverse much of the ill will and prevent tainting the enthusiasm of future releases.

By ignoring the mistake and doing nothing, Google is opting to pay for the mistake later. The cost will be reduced enthusiasm, alienated customers who defect, and bad PR.

They'll pay either way, but refunding the shipping is smarter.

droidnutt1130

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems all the versions come with that, not just the Google Play versions.

And to the people going on about how TOTALLY INSANE it is to assume that if you preorder a device, that you should expect to get if before, or at least the same day as an average Joe walking into a brick and mortar, really guys? I'm not really fussy about it, it'll be here on Monday, but you guys are like used car salesmen trying to argue the merits of an obviously crappy car. You can try to talk around it all you want, but everybody knows what a friggin preorder is, it means you get it the day it comes out, before everybody who didn't preorder. If preorder meant you pay more to get a product days after everyone else, nobody would preorder things. Stop being silly.

That being said, people are raising ENTIRELY too much fuss about this. It was a minor blunder, not unexpected with their first release. If you really care about Google, you wouldn't be throwing a fit and demanding your shipping back on something that Google is already taking a loss on. Just be glad Apple didn't get an injunction on it or something. All this hullabaloo will just give the press something to whine about, which will inevitably include comparisons to how Apple has never done something like this, which equals more people regarding Google as an inferior company.

Thats exactly right! OK,When you preorder a game from game stop what happens? You get the game a day before anybody else can get it and you get something free for preordering it,it might be a special ingame gift,or a figure,or something.I have been preordering games my whole life and i dare somebody say i am wrong.So now,when i preordered my nexus 7 yes i expected the same,i thought the $25.00 and stuff free was for google preorders but everybody is getting them,so! See my poinpoint.Oh,and for everybody thats in here talking about were whining and complaining why are you in this thread,did you not read the header.If you dont have a problem with it good for you,but we do have a problem with it and we are going to let it be known.Now i feel a little better.:mad:i quoted the wrong person,sorry

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
How old are you? Must still be in Mommy's basement. WHEN IS OFFICIAL LAUNCH? so a store or two is selling big deal cancel your order and take your CHANCE in that store. You all are acting like its the end of the world. If you don't have the 7 by Aug 1 then you have a reason to whine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

bigjoe7757

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Making your customer happy is good business, so people that ordered direct from play should have been the first or something else that made it an exclusive, kind of a Loyality Reward.

Reactions: keithz

droidnutt1130

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually sent this into their order inquiries/help center.

I was very happy to hear that the Nexus 7 was available for purchase in stores today. However, I was also very frustrated by the fact that I placed a preorder with the Google Play store, but it did not arrive on the day of release.

As part of my preorder purchase, I was charged $13.99 for shipping and handling. I would have no complaints about this charge, if my order had arrived on the release date. I would have seen this as a convenience payment because I would not have to go out to a store to pick up my product. However, it now seems like the shipping charge has become a premium payment on my preorder, that serves no purpose as I am receiving my product after people who placed orders through a 3rd party and were not charged shipping and handling fees.

This has placed a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. I believe that Google makes a better profit when they sell their products directly through their online store instead of through 3rd party retailers. However, I don't know if I would ever place another hardware order through Google, or recommend that any of my friends or family place orders, unless something was done to compensate for my extra waiting time. I would have gladly ordered through a retailer like Gamestop and gone to their store today if I knew that I would be able to pick up my Nexus 7 days before my preorder through the Google Play store would arrive at my house.

As such, I would like my shipping and handling fee of $13.99 refunded or credited to my Google Play store account. That would go a long way towards fixing the problem of the delayed shipping.

Thank you in advance for your response.
I fully agree,you are who i meant to quote my reply too.Like i said when you preorder a game from game stop what happens? You get the game a day before anybody else does and for preordering they give you a free gift,it could be an in game gift or a figure or something.So yes,when i preordered the nexus 7 i expected the same.Everybody got the $25.00 playcredit and im still waiting.And everybody keeps saying there shipping was $13.99 my shipping alone was $25.00 my total was $236.65.why is my shipping higher? Anyway i fully agree and you made a great complaint.Like i said if you dont have a problem with it good for you but we do and complaining is a right that we have,if you dont want to read about it why are you in a thread called i want my shipping back.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
How old are you? Must still be in Mommy's basement. WHEN IS OFFICIAL LAUNCH? so a store or two is selling big deal cancel your order and take your CHANCE in that store. You all are acting like its the end of the world. If you don't have the 7 by Aug 1 then you have a reason to whine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Sadly, the people mired in both sides of this argument are doing what comes naturally to nerds/geeks/humans.

I'm old enough and wise enough to admit I have been on both sides of an argument or two just like this one.

I don't need or want your support but you might want mine someday.

Oh and thanks for the lousy advice. Surely an informed fellow like you must know that Google has refused requests for cancellation since June saying that "it is already being processed".

So I have your permission to whine starting Aug 1? Thanks bro! Wait, can I get that in writing? I'll definitely need to show that to the others who will surely pummel me who think it would be more appropriate to wait until Aug 15th before complaining.

Hawkmoon230

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I am with Google on this one. The example of when new games come out is not quite right because if it is the case that you will have it on or before the general release date it normally states that at the time of order. All Google ever said was 2-3 weeks (now 1-2) and if you order one today you will pay the same shipping cost. Even if they had released it through stores a week ago you would still not have any grounds to complain because you were never promised it earlier than 2-3 weeks.

Yes yes I know that you do not see it this way and you may also argue that the earth is flat and water goes down the drain the opposite way in the northern and southern hemispheres and in all of these things you are wrong.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I am with Google on this one. The example of when new games come out is not quite right because if it is the case that you will have it on or before the general release date it normally states that at the time of order. All Google ever said was 2-3 weeks (now 1-2) and if you order one today you will pay the same shipping cost. Even if they had released it through stores a week ago you would still not have any grounds to complain because you were never promised it earlier than 2-3 weeks.

Yes yes I know that you do not see it this way and you may also argue that the earth is flat and water goes down the drain the opposite way in the northern and southern hemispheres and in all of these things you are wrong.

Nope. The term preorder has always meant one would get an item on release date. Not just media but phones, consoles, etc. Otherwise nobody would ever preorder anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Five different stores (GS, Sams) in my area are not displaying or releasing the product preorder or retail. Three confirmed inventory, one stated 7/19. Others from my state also said no product available in their area.

Those perks given for preordering those items are stated upfront. They were not just given after the order had already placed an order.

ack154

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
As I already said... a preorder simply means you reserve something before it is available.

And since no specific delivery date or release date was listed, that means you get it when it is available. The only reason you preorder is so that in case there is a limited quantity, you know you're going to get one. It has nothing to do with getting it before everyone else or getting it on a certain day (UNLESS SPECIFIED UP FRONT).

If Amazon holds a preorder for a movie or game and tells you that it will be at your door the day it is released, then you can expect to have it THAT DAY. Google did nothing of the sort. You preorded and they said it would ship in 2-3 weeks. Well guess what... they are shipping within 2-3 weeks.

If people can't understand this concept, I give up. You people are insane.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Nope. The term preorder has always meant one would get an item on release date. Not just media but phones, consoles, etc. Otherwise nobody would ever preorder anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Also I would add that this didn't start as a normal preorder.

With a normal preorder, countless stores and chains create preorder queues at or around the same time. It's a crapshoot and we all know how that works. Stock drops when it drops and you get yours in turn.

When the Nexus 7 went on sale, Play store was the only retailer for a significant period of time. We didn't even know what to expect in terms of who and how many other retailers might be able to offer it later. If you ordered it first at Play, a week or earlier than the start of any other retailer preorder lists - that means something.

The waiting Play store faithful -clearly- are worth less to Google than big-box retailers. While I don't expect this sentiment to change, Google shouldn't make it so blatently obvious. We evangelize the features and benefits of Google products to the Apple-loving luddites, converting many. We evangelize to the drones that buy from the big-box retailers.

Dangerous set to anger IMO.

bmatt0516

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as tax goes, most states have a use tax that has been around for a while and you are supposed to pay tax on anything you order (mail, telephone, internet etc) that will be physically used or consumed in your state. Most people dont actually pay it on internet orders since it is nearly impossible for your local state to track.

As far as paying for shipping, I'm really annoyed that I was forced to pay for second day shipping, I would have gladly taken cheap or free ground shipping. To add insult to it, no information was divulged to us and we learned through retailers who received their shipments already, some early this week. It looks like my tracking label was printed on the 9th, so I think their intention was for the pre orders to be to us already, but something must have happened. Hopefully they will explain what happened. I don't care if they don't refund my shipping charge, but I don't think a gesture like an extra $15 play store credit would be out of line.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: keithz

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As I already said... a preorder simply means you reserve something before it is available.

And since no specific delivery date or release date was listed, that means you get it when it is available. The only reason you preorder is so that in case there is a limited quantity, you know you're going to get one. It has nothing to do with getting it before everyone else or getting it on a certain day (UNLESS SPECIFIED UP FRONT).

If Amazon holds a preorder for a movie or game and tells you that it will be at your door the day it is released, then you can expect to have it THAT DAY. Google did nothing of the sort. You preorded and they said it would ship in 2-3 weeks. Well guess what... they are shipping within 2-3 weeks.

If people can't understand this concept, I give up. You people are insane.

I honestly feel the same way reading your post. No one ever demanded a delivery on a specific date. There was no date to hang our hopes on, Google made sure of that. More importantly, you completely ignore the notion of a queue. Regardless of what the timetable posted on the site might have been, the fact remains that newer orders are being honored before previous orders (and from sources farther removed).

Play Store had the exclusive preorder for a significant period of time. Our orders were in first. They were placed directly with Google. How can we not have the expectations that seem to confound you?

KJD209

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the return of shipping fees. Everyone who preordered from the Play Store when this tablet first became available clearly was under the impression that they would receive it on the street release date. We may not all be learned retail specialists but most of us have been involved in the preorder process when it comes tech related product launches. The precedent is that we receive our item at or before launch. Not only were there retail partnerships that were not revealed until after Google advertised the Play Store as the sole purchase source, Google and/or Asus fed the retail supply lines before shipping to their preorder customers. Also, let's not forget that we are receiving "2 day" shipping on orders that ship on a Friday. I know that Google has charged us for two business days but come on, these tablets will not arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday. That's 4 or 5 days. I would never pay for 2 day shipping on a Friday. UPS moves product through the weekend but does not count it as a business day, so shipping costs are reduced for the carrier but are not reflected in the billing to the customer. There is no reason why Google could not have shipped these tablets on Wednesday. They were available and already moving to or at retail stores.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463