Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zooks64
  • 2 Post By tntdroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Beam

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and I have been unsuccessfully trying to play with the android beam feature of my Nexus 7 tablet and my phone. I was hoping it worked within the limitations of ICS's Android Beam, specifically trying browser links, since my phone runs on ICS right now.

I was wondering if others with this configuration could try their devices. Ultimately this would be so I could determine if the two software versions were simply not compatible, or if there is a possible hardware issue at hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Android Beam

I'll give it a try for you when mine gets delivered (if no one else has tested for you at that point).

I believe that sharing photos/videos over Android Beam within vanilla Android isn't supported until Jelly Bean. So there are limitations on the content that can be shared. Whether browser links is one of them, I am not sure.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)

Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ock View Post
    ...there are limitations on the content that can be shared. Whether browser links is one of them, I am not sure.

That's exactly my thought pattern. I know that my Gnex works, as my fiance used to have one as well and we would share links with it all the time.

...and before someone asks, I don't actually want to share links this way, as I use the chrome "other devices", I just want to make sure my tablet works properly.

ROM
    Stock

I was able to get this to work but I had to make sure I had the phone and tablet in the correct orientation first.

I did not have Chrome installed on my phone before I tried to send a webpage. The first time I tried it didn't work. Then I installed Chrome and it worked.

I have only tried it with Play Store apps and Chrome urls. I assume it would transfer files.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0DeKoQUEA[/YT]
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze likes this.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks64 View Post
    I was able to get this to work but I had to make sure I had the phone and tablet in the correct orientation first.

I did not have Chrome installed on my phone before I tried to send a webpage. The first time I tried it didn't work. Then I installed Chrome and it worked.

I have only tried it with Play Store apps and Chrome urls. I assume it would transfer files.

Video is private

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    JackImageX and John-Smith like this.

ROM
    Stock

Fixed! Sorry about that. Video is now Public.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

What does "beam" use wifi direct? I usually use BT between my GN and wife's GS2. Its slow for vids but fine for pics.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

I was able to use Android beam between Nexus 7's and a friends SGS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    What does "beam" use wifi direct? I usually use BT between my GN and wife's GS2. Its slow for vids but fine for pics.
    I believe that S-Beam is the only one that uses WiFi Direct.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I sent the nexus 7 manual to my galaxy nexus via beam, worked perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

After seeing this I caught the sweet spot and accidentally sent this android central app to my phone. It basically just opened the app on my phone. Not even to this post. I tried again with both android central apps open but they both seemed content just being open. How weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Beam uses NFC and since the range of NFC is like 2cm then I assume the antenna in the Nexus 7 must not be very big. While the G-nex NFC antenna is as large as the battery.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Beam uses NFC and since the range of NFC is like 2cm then I assume the antenna in the Nexus 7 must not be very big. While the G-nex NFC antenna is as large as the battery.
    NFC is never supposed to be very long range. The N7 has something more than 2cm (maybe 3-4cm) range in my tests, but it's really not supposed to be long range at all. Also, I don't think the GNex antenna is as large as the battery, it's just on the battery. That would be a huge antenna.

How does this work with a Nexus S on ICS and S3 on ICS?

Just embarrassed ourselves in front of some apple co-workers when we couldn't send a simple 100KB pic. smh. Then they go ahead and use the BUMP app on their iPhones with each other.

Good grief, the shame.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    How does this work with a Nexus S on ICS and S3 on ICS?

Just embarrassed ourselves in front of some apple co-workers when we couldn't send a simple 100KB pic. smh. Then they go ahead and use the BUMP app on their iPhones with each other.

Good grief, the shame.
    You know you can use bump as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by whatisreal7 View Post
    Bump? That's lame, there is a new app on the app store that was designed just for the Nexus 7 that destroys these picture sharing apps...gotta have two devices near by though...
    So...what be the name of this app you speak of ??

cool...ty,and thanks for sharing your find!!