Android Beam

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and I have been unsuccessfully trying to play with the android beam feature of my Nexus 7 tablet and my phone. I was hoping it worked within the limitations of ICS's Android Beam, specifically trying browser links, since my phone runs on ICS right now.

I was wondering if others with this configuration could try their devices. Ultimately this would be so I could determine if the two software versions were simply not compatible, or if there is a possible hardware issue at hand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I'll give it a try for you when mine gets delivered (if no one else has tested for you at that point).

I believe that sharing photos/videos over Android Beam within vanilla Android isn't supported until Jelly Bean. So there are limitations on the content that can be shared. Whether browser links is one of them, I am not sure.

Reactions: Sock-Monkey Pete

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
...there are limitations on the content that can be shared. Whether browser links is one of them, I am not sure.

That's exactly my thought pattern. I know that my Gnex works, as my fiance used to have one as well and we would share links with it all the time.

...and before someone asks, I don't actually want to share links this way, as I use the chrome "other devices", I just want to make sure my tablet works properly.

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get this to work but I had to make sure I had the phone and tablet in the correct orientation first.

I did not have Chrome installed on my phone before I tried to send a webpage. The first time I tried it didn't work. Then I installed Chrome and it worked.

I have only tried it with Play Store apps and Chrome urls. I assume it would transfer files.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0DeKoQUEA[/YT]

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I was able to get this to work but I had to make sure I had the phone and tablet in the correct orientation first.

I did not have Chrome installed on my phone before I tried to send a webpage. The first time I tried it didn't work. Then I installed Chrome and it worked.

I have only tried it with Play Store apps and Chrome urls. I assume it would transfer files.

Click to view quoted video

Video is private

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
What does "beam" use wifi direct? I usually use BT between my GN and wife's GS2. Its slow for vids but fine for pics.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I was able to use Android beam between Nexus 7's and a friends SGS3.

What does "beam" use wifi direct? I usually use BT between my GN and wife's GS2. Its slow for vids but fine for pics.

I believe that S-Beam is the only one that uses WiFi Direct.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
After seeing this I caught the sweet spot and accidentally sent this android central app to my phone. It basically just opened the app on my phone. Not even to this post. I tried again with both android central apps open but they both seemed content just being open. How weird...

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Beam uses NFC and since the range of NFC is like 2cm then I assume the antenna in the Nexus 7 must not be very big. While the G-nex NFC antenna is as large as the battery.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Beam uses NFC and since the range of NFC is like 2cm then I assume the antenna in the Nexus 7 must not be very big. While the G-nex NFC antenna is as large as the battery.

NFC is never supposed to be very long range. The N7 has something more than 2cm (maybe 3-4cm) range in my tests, but it's really not supposed to be long range at all. Also, I don't think the GNex antenna is as large as the battery, it's just on the battery. That would be a huge antenna.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
How does this work with a Nexus S on ICS and S3 on ICS?

Just embarrassed ourselves in front of some apple co-workers when we couldn't send a simple 100KB pic. smh. Then they go ahead and use the BUMP app on their iPhones with each other.

Good grief, the shame.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
How does this work with a Nexus S on ICS and S3 on ICS?

Just embarrassed ourselves in front of some apple co-workers when we couldn't send a simple 100KB pic. smh. Then they go ahead and use the BUMP app on their iPhones with each other.

Good grief, the shame.

You know you can use bump as well, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac