Nexus 7 Glass Seperation

psycho9x

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Just got mt N7 yesterday and I love it BUT I have noticed that the glass on the left side is separating from the case. Has anyone else seen this? When you look at it from the side you can see the glass sticking up a bit and when you push it back down you can hear the adhesive grab on then it lets go. I haven't even had it for 12 hours yet.

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got mt N7 yesterday and I love it BUT I have noticed that the glass on the left side is separating from the case. Has anyone else seen this? When you look at it from the side you can see the glass sticking up a bit and when you push it back down you can hear the adhesive grab on then it lets go. I haven't even had it for 12 hours yet.

Sounds like you need to call customer service and have it returned.

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
That's the plan but I want to see if mine was just a fluke or if there is a bad batch floating around.

I'd give them a call asap let us know what they said the should replace or repair at there cost

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Phil mentioned this same thing on the most recent AC Podcast. It looked like the glue had not had time to dry. Interesting though he said it went away, and its OK now. Which is weird unless the glue could heat up and re adhere....Pretty sure(EDIT:Or the 101 as Aguaski says) it was the Podcast from last week if you want to give a listen..Ah then I think they discussed how the shipping units should have this problem fixed....whoops.:eek:

Last edited:

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I remember hearing this during the podcast, but I think it was episode 101 and not the most recent episode 102. This does sound troubling.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, I got impatient waiting for my nexus to come from ups so I went and grabbed one from my local sams club which had 5 in stock. When I got home the left middle side of the screen pushed in after I barely touched it with my thumb, went back to sams club and exchanged it for another nexus 7. This one is solid and working great...

Sent from my new Nexus 7- also known as the T-2000

Daniel v2

May 27, 2011
Visit site
After reading this I checked mine and same issue. It's not noticeable but when you squeeze the screen and the back together on the top left side you hear the glue stick and then unstick.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

v0mitr0n

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
mine is the same .. the left side, middle. Glass sticks up and isn't flush. You can press it up and down. I'll probably exchange it at Gamestop in a couple of days, after I figure out how to flash it to stock.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No issues here. I was actually disappointed in how flush this is. Can't put it face down anywhere, which is my default.

Daniel v2

May 27, 2011
Visit site
mine is the same .. the left side, middle. Glass sticks up and isn't flush. You can press it up and down. I'll probably exchange it at Gamestop in a couple of days, after I figure out how to flash it to stock.

Good luck, I bet they will be sold out for a while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Daniel v2

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Took it back and exchanged it for another, same problem. Tried to call Google support and waited on hold for 25 minutes and hung up.

Shouldn't this be covered under a factory warranty? Any ideas what I should do?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My original Transformer had this issue. Sucks. Asus build quality for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jellofund

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and noticed the same issue within a couple of mins of use. Left side, middle and I was getting the 'tacky' sound too as it temporarily adhered before losing it's grip again. Looking at the tablet from the side it was also noticeable that the glass was sitting very slightly higher than the metal bezel (1mm or so), whereas on all 3 other sides the glass sits slightly lower than the bezel.

I noticed that the Nexus gets relatively warm on the back on that side (battery or chip?) whilst in use so decided to try holding the glass down with my left hand for 10 mins or so whilst playing a game in the hope this heat and the slight warmth from my hand might help help soften the glue up and rebond itself. So far it seems to have done the trick and the bounce is no longer evident but will give it a few days to see if it starts up again.

The UK retailer I bought from offers a pretty good returns policy so if worse comes to the worst I'll use this one until they get more stock and then RMA it for a replacement.

Last edited:

Daniel v2

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and noticed the same issue within a couple of mins of use. Left side, middle and I was getting the 'tacky' sound too as it temporarily adhered before losing it's grip again. Looking at the tablet from the side it was also noticeable that the glass was sitting very slightly higher than the metal bezel (1mm or so), whereas on all 3 other sides the glass sits slightly lower than the bezel.

I noticed that the Nexus gets relatively warm on the back on that side (battery or chip?) whilst in use so decided to try holding the glass down with my left hand for 10 mins or so whilst playing a game in the hope this heat and the slight warmth from my hand might help help soften the glue up and rebond itself. So far it seems to have done the trick and the bounce is no longer evident but will give it a few days to see if it starts up again.

The UK retailer I bought from offers a pretty good returns policy so if worse comes to the worst I'll use this one until they get more stock and then RMA it for a replacement.

I haven't tried that but what you're saying about the screen is spot on, exact same thing happening to mine.

dwd, what did you do about it?

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my screen sits out as well on the left side. One reason I am glad I got this from Sams club super super easy to exchange there for 90 days. If they have any in stock that is.

Mine is not horrible but I for sure notice it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone mind posting pictures? Now that I can't unread this, I'd appreciate not being able to unsee it as well lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie