Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #26  

    Default

    I tried turning auto brightness off but that did not work. So I decided to do a factory restore. So far no flickers, or lines or whatever noise you want to call it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  2. #27  
    megamitch's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    Another +1 for fixed with auto brightness begin turned off.
    Autodim-off helps for me but doesn't eliminate it. Doesn't bother me either though. I'm used to it after using the Transformer Prime since January.
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by megamitch View Post
    Autodim-off helps for me but doesn't eliminate it. Doesn't bother me either though. I'm used to it after using the Transformer Prime since January.
    Transformer did the same thing?

    Auto brightness being off doesn't fix the issue for me at all. I wonder cuts a weird bug with the light sensor since a lot of you re saying being near a lamp helped. I will test this out tonight and report back.
  4. #29  

    Default

    I've noticed it now and again when browsing and using chrome. It doesn't bother me too much tbh. I turned the brightness up a bit and that seems to have helped. Like others have said, I think this is software based and I'm sure Google will have a fix for it shortly.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. #30  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    I think I finally figured out the flickering thing even if you have auto-brightness turned off.

    If you have a very weak wifi signal and it's downloading, it'll flicker for me. If I'm close to my wifi router, it doesn't flicker, but on the other side of the house, it does. My theory is it pumps out so much power during the wifi transmission that it's causing a power droop to the rest of the tablet (including the screen's backlight)...
    Nascar Dog likes this.
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    I think I finally figured out the flickering thing even if you have auto-brightness turned off.

    If you have a very weak wifi signal and it's downloading, it'll flicker for me. If I'm close to my wifi router, it doesn't flicker, but on the other side of the house, it does. My theory is it pumps out so much power during the wifi transmission that it's causing a power droop to the rest of the tablet (including the screen's backlight)...
    You are the only person in this thread that nailed it. Everyone, turn wifi off and I bet the flicker goes away. It's not an auto brightness issue at all. It's a wifi/power issue which makes it hard to believe that it can be fixed with a software update.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    @kenyee I agree with most of what you have said.

    Try to do manual brightness , and set it to lowest. Then repeat ur test with low wifi.

    U will notice that the screen still flickers. The so its not a question of power drop. Its a question of un regularity in the backlid power

    This symptom cannot be seen at backlid 50% or higher.

    My method of testing is use file transfer app, then i transfered large file over ftp . That reproduces the symptom 100%

    So yes, it looks like a hardware/software combo
    I hope this can be fixed by optimizing the software only
    Thanks for reading and I hope this information helps
  8. #33  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
    You are the only person in this thread that nailed it. Everyone, turn wifi off and I bet the flicker goes away. It's not an auto brightness issue at all. It's a wifi/power issue which makes it hard to believe that it can be fixed with a software update.
    That's because I used to do hardware/firmware in a former life

    It's more visible if you're further away from your AP (e.g., barely one bar). I notice it most when scrolling through the Play store really fast so it has to load a crapload of icons.
    If you're up close to your AP (full bars), it doesn't need as much power so it doesn't cause a power droop to the backlight.

    It's a hardware bug. Some ***** forgot a capacitor or didn't put a big enough one in. You might be able to hack around it in software by slowing the transmit rate down to keep the power surge from the wifi chip down (assuming it's not built into the Tegra), but other than that, it really needs a hardware fix.

    FWIW, I ended up trying a second tablet because I thought the flickering might be from UPS drop kicking it and it also has this problem...

    So next question...how do we report it to Google/Asus and get it fixed???
    I'm going to contact Asus' twitter/facebook pages
    Thanked by 2:
    Nascar Dog likes this.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    @kenyee It is not a power drop. The backlid brightness increases when flicker happens. That rules out the power drop for me. But you have your point
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    That's because I used to do hardware/firmware in a former life

    It's more visible if you're further away from your AP (e.g., barely one bar). I notice it most when scrolling through the Play store really fast so it has to load a crapload of icons.
    If you're up close to your AP (full bars), it doesn't need as much power so it doesn't cause a power droop to the backlight.

    It's a hardware bug. Some ***** forgot a capacitor or didn't put a big enough one in. You might be able to hack around it in software by slowing the transmit rate down to keep the power surge from the wifi chip down (assuming it's not built into the Tegra), but other than that, it really needs a hardware fix.

    FWIW, I ended up trying a second tablet because I thought the flickering might be from UPS drop kicking it and it also has this problem...

    So next question...how do we report it to Google/Asus and get it fixed???
    I'm going to contact Asus' twitter/facebook pages
    Let us know what you hear back.

    I just returned mine due to flickering and I'm wondering if I should wait for a fix before buying another. I REALLY like the Nexus 7, but I'd rather have a properly working one than deal with the flicker.
  11. #36  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by igjoe View Post
    I just returned mine due to flickering and I'm wondering if I should wait for a fix before buying another.
    To be fair, it doesn't flicker much in normal use once you load up apps. It's just most noticeable when you're initially setting up your tablet because you're browsing a lot more for apps to put on while downloading apps. I don't notice it much when using it now (mostly white backgrounds occasionally).
    Still doesn't excuse their QA testing...this kind of problem should have been caught long before it left the factory...I would have caught it

    I'm still a bit puzzled about the banding on the system settings screens. I thought it was because it's a 6-bit panel, but I ran a display test app and I don't see banding there. The whites and blacks in the last 10 values are crushed though...they all look white or black. Android sorely needs color profiles..
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    To be fair, it doesn't flicker much in normal use once you load up apps. It's just most noticeable when you're initially setting up your tablet because you're browsing a lot more for apps to put on while downloading apps. I don't notice it much when using it now (mostly white backgrounds occasionally).
    Still doesn't excuse their QA testing...this kind of problem should have been caught long before it left the factory...I would have caught it

    I'm still a bit puzzled about the banding on the system settings screens. I thought it was because it's a 6-bit panel, but I ran a display test app and I don't see banding there. The whites and blacks in the last 10 values are crushed though...they all look white or black. Android sorely needs color profiles..
    Yeah, you're right, it's not that bad. However, I notice it while watching video and I stream a lot of internet shows. It takes me out of the experience of what I'm watching when my eyes catch the flicker. Some people can live with it, but I guess I'm just too picky, haha.

    Anyway, I'll wait until we get at least some sort of confirmation on a fix before I order another tablet.

    P.S. The banding in the system settings could be due to a highly-compressed image. I've seen this myself while saving images with gradients for websites.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    It's not (only?) WiFi. I turned off my WiFi, fixed brightness and the screen still flickers when scrolling in Chrome.
  14. #39  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by igjoe View Post
    I notice it while watching video and I stream a lot of internet shows. It takes me out of the experience of what I'm watching when my eyes catch the flicker.
    If that's where you're seeing it, I'd agree...just wait until it's fixed...hopefully, they can work around it w/ software w/ slower wifi speeds which will still be faster than your internet. FWIW, I tried streaming the Iron Man anime via Crackle and didn't see flicker, but that has lots of explosions so it probably enhanced the experience ;-)


    Quote Originally Posted by pete_lockwood View Post
    It's not (only?) WiFi. I turned off my WiFi, fixed brightness and the screen still flickers when scrolling in Chrome.
    Pete: unless you're on a site that's downloading stuff in the background, I suspect what you're seeing is called "ghosting". IPS screens (which is what the tablet uses) generally suck for games because the pixels take a long time to transition from white to black...regular LCDs w/ the poorer viewing angles usually don't have this problem. Some IPS screens are worse than others...usually the more expensive, the better colors and less ghosting.
    I tried scrolling around in Chrome on a large web page and can confirm it ghosts fairly badly (worse than my desktop monitor which is also IPS and is slow enough)....I'd suggest looking at the Galaxy Tab 7.7...different screen type (SAMOLED+) and should have no ghosting...
  15. #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    If that's where you're seeing it, I'd agree...just wait until it's fixed...hopefully, they can work around it w/ software w/ slower wifi speeds which will still be faster than your internet. FWIW, I tried streaming the Iron Man anime via Crackle and didn't see flicker, but that has lots of explosions so it probably enhanced the experience ;-)
    Haha, nice. Yeah, it mostly happens during videos when there's a light of bright/white showing. Just like other apps though the flicker goes away with a higher brightness setting, but I like it in the 25% range at night.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Yeah it only happens in love brightness, auto brightness bares no affect. And yeah it looks like it only happens for me when WiFi is on. When I turn WiFi off the problem ceased to exist. I don't think its that easy of a software fix. The simple solution would to be lower the power draw by the WiFi radio, but its going to reduce signal quality and some people are already complaining about signal quality. Unless there is a way to change from parts connected to the SOC the WiFi is allowed to draw from. Its similar to when someone turns on a vacuum and your lights in the room flicker.
  17. #42  

    Default

    Yep that is definitely it. I noticed the same issue. Turn WiFi off and it goes away. Its really not that bad and I'm guessing a software patch will be out to solve then issue.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    my last post here .

    @Blayze04 and all that say POWER drop
    "The simple solution would to be lower the power draw by the WiFi radio.."
    "Its similar to when someone turns on a vacuum and your lights in the room flicker"

    what u see is a "flash" = opposite of power drop . Look again
  19. #44  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Quote Originally Posted by silenzioklze View Post
    what u see is a "flash" = opposite of power drop . Look again
    I looked at this again...I think it's both...droop, then surge. Almost like the power circuit to the backlight isn't providing stable voltage when the wifi chip kicks in...
  20. #45  
    lostmarine's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    ROM
    unlocked/rooted/stock rom

    Default

    I read on another forum if you enable force GPU rendering under developer options this fixes the problem... dunno if it works but it is worth a try.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  21. #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostmarine View Post
    I read on another forum if you enable force GPU rendering under developer options this fixes the problem... dunno if it works but it is worth a try.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I just did this, so let's see if it fixes it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  22. #47  
    lostmarine's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    ROM
    unlocked/rooted/stock rom

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmartellotta View Post
    I just did this, so let's see if it fixes it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Any luck?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  23. #48  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    No force GPU doesn't fix this, I enabled force GPU the day got I my tablet and has been on she, I still get the flicker.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    I called ASUS this am, got someone on the line very quickly but that's where the good part of the story ends.

    He claimed this wasn't something they were aware of a lot of people an issue with, said try a reset and I can call back after resetting to RMA it if necessary. Their RMA scheme is you send it back and wait for them to look at it and then either send me the same unit back, repair or replace it. Google's RMA approach is at least to send a replacement first so you're not without a unit.

    Kinda surprised ASUS haven't heard more about this but I suppose it's also easily possible I was lied to and they're running around trying to work out how to resolve it.
  25. #50  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Screen flicker

    Asus replied to my post on their facebook page and said exchange it for another one so they're burying their heads in the sand about this wifi flicker issue :-P
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B