Screen flicker

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it only happens in love brightness, auto brightness bares no affect. And yeah it looks like it only happens for me when WiFi is on. When I turn WiFi off the problem ceased to exist. I don't think its that easy of a software fix. The simple solution would to be lower the power draw by the WiFi radio, but its going to reduce signal quality and some people are already complaining about signal quality. Unless there is a way to change from parts connected to the SOC the WiFi is allowed to draw from. Its similar to when someone turns on a vacuum and your lights in the room flicker.

jmartellotta

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yep that is definitely it. I noticed the same issue. Turn WiFi off and it goes away. Its really not that bad and I'm guessing a software patch will be out to solve then issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

silenzioklze

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
my last post here .

@Blayze04 and all that say POWER drop
"The simple solution would to be lower the power draw by the WiFi radio.."
"Its similar to when someone turns on a vacuum and your lights in the room flicker"

what u see is a "flash" = opposite of power drop . Look again

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I read on another forum if you enable force GPU rendering under developer options this fixes the problem... dunno if it works but it is worth a try.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I called ASUS this am, got someone on the line very quickly but that's where the good part of the story ends.

He claimed this wasn't something they were aware of a lot of people an issue with, said try a reset and I can call back after resetting to RMA it if necessary. Their RMA scheme is you send it back and wait for them to look at it and then either send me the same unit back, repair or replace it. Google's RMA approach is at least to send a replacement first so you're not without a unit.

Kinda surprised ASUS haven't heard more about this but I suppose it's also easily possible I was lied to and they're running around trying to work out how to resolve it.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Asus replied to my post on their facebook page and said exchange it for another one so they're burying their heads in the sand about this wifi flicker issue :p

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have WiFi on all the time and have my screen brightness turned all the way down and haven't had a screen flicker once. Perhaps you have a faulty device or I am blind.

I also put it on auto detect for a couple hours and haven't had a screen flicker.

You should try and catch it on video.

Update: I looked it up on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Z6EgvTC5U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That is crazy has to be a bad device mine doesn't do that.

Last edited:

igjoe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been watching as many forums as I can about this issue because I returned my 16gb version and won't buy a new one until I know I won't get the flickering.

Looks like someone got an answer from Google over at xda regarding the flicker issue. If he's being honest, it sounds like it's a hardware issue that is being fixed with newer builds of the tablet.

Here is a link to the person who got an answer: xda-developers - View Single Post - Nexus 7 BAD screen flicker!

Also, here is an interesting article that's speculating the shipment delays are due to hardware issues rather than just demand: Is demand really why Google stopped selling 16GB Nexus 7?

dean411

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I see the same problem, there is some power regulation problem such that when the WIFI is trying to shout out at full power, it sucks power from the backlight, causing a noticable "flicker" especially if it's a white screen of page not yet rendered.

I just got my nexus 7 yesterday and noticed the same screen flicker. Installed the new update bit to an avail. I did notice that its most noticeable when my WiFi signal is low and I am I a dark room. Although I did try to disable the auto brightness, however that did not help. I got mine from GameStop. Next test is yo yes it in a dark room, with low WiFi signal (further from my router) and have the charger plugged in. Maybe there is something going on with the power drain when WiFi has to work harder.

Nascar Dog

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have WiFi on all the time and have my screen brightness turned all the way down and haven't had a screen flicker once. Perhaps you have a faulty device or I am blind.

I also put it on auto detect for a couple hours and haven't had a screen flicker.

If you have a strong wifi signal, you will not see the flicker problem.

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, so Google will only send you a replacement if you bought it directly from them? Has anybody tried to contact ASUS and see if they will also send a replacement unit?

I'll have to go look at my box and find the build number for mine to help figure out a pattern in the build batches for your XDA thread Nascar Dog.

pete_lockwood

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I got mine from Google but called ASUS and they were willing to give me an RMA number. Difference is they want the unit back for testing before they ship out a replacement.

edit: I only called ASUS in the hope they'd have a clue. They didn't. Google will be getting mine back.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site

Ditto what Nascar said. If you have full bars on your wifi indicator, you probably won't see the flicker though you might once in a while.
I've been thinking they could have missed it because they probably tested in a lab w/ lots of signal strength...

And I posted on Asus' facebook page...they just said get another one. Gotta wonder who's footing the bill for all these exchanges, but that also means there are going to a lot of refurbs after a while if people want it cheaper... :p

dcosta43

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second nexus 7, my first one had bad ghosting but no flickering, this one has flickering and its definitely has to do with WiFi, so what you guys think? Return this one too ?

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second nexus 7, my first one had bad ghosting but no flickering, this one has flickering and its definitely has to do with WiFi, so what you guys think? Return this one too ?

If you don't have full bars all the time (not close enough to your wifi router), I'd suggest returning it and waiting another month before buying another one.
Asus has to be aware of this issue by now...someone in the XDA thread said the newer ones have that fix.
I just got a new one from Staples (exchanged for one w/ light bleed on the backlight) and it still has the flicker problem...very noticable w/ weak wifi signal...barely noticable on strong wifi. At least they seem to have fixed the left edge of the screen popping up in this batch :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC