Random freezing/rebooting on my Nexus 7... :-(

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So I am having an issue this morning - random freezes and reboots.

The first time was on Facebook (after I had been using the tablet for over an hour). Had to hold the power button down to reset it. Since then, it has frozen and auto reset on:
Facebook (again),
About Tablet (settings)
Facebook (3rd time)
Chrome (before displaying any pages)

All of this occurred within the past hour or so.

There was an update for Google Earth and Google+ this morning. Also I used Google+ Hangout (and the camera) for the first time this morning.

What do our think is causing this and how do I fix it? I'm not overly knowledgeable about android, so any help would be appreciated!

About my Nexus: not rooted, only have these apps:

Android Central Forums
Angry Birds
Chase
Dead Trigger
Final Fantasy III
Google Drive
Google Earth
Google +
MX Player
Pogoplug
SlingPlayer (Tablet)
Tapatalk
The Weather Channel
Windup Knight

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Those all seem like pretty legitimate apps to me. This would suck but I would suggest deleting one app and using the tablet till it happens then rinse repeat till you find the offending program.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled Facebook before the last reset (so im not thinking it was the problem) and just uninstalled the Google+ update (its ugly anyway). All has been good for the last 30 min or so....

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Both are legitimate apps so I wouldn't think its anything nefarious. Most likely just a corrupted download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, FB doesnt seem to be the problem. I am thinking it's Google+ (perhaps the Widget?)

After receiving a small OS update to the Nexus 7 last night (after the Google+ update earlier yesterday), I decided to try to update Google+ again. Didn't use it much last night but all was good until about 30 min ago. Sure enough, same thing: freezing and rebooting. (This time it did it while trying to swipe away running apps).

Since then, i have once again removed the update to Google+ (we will see if that fixes it). I realized that I have had the Google+ widget on my homescreen, so I wonder if that may be causing some issues (since I actually haven't been using Google+ when it freezes).

Jellyrolls

May 1, 2011
Visit site
You may have gotten a lemon. Every line of products have them. So far, I've had no problems with anything on the N7. I would call Google or try to exchange the device at the retailer you bought it from.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You may have gotten a lemon. Every line of products have them. So far, I've had no problems with anything on the N7. I would call Google or try to exchange the device at the retailer you bought it from.

Too early I think to blame the device. Seems like Google+ update issue, but we'll have to wait to see if there are more reports of this.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
^ I hope its not that serious, but if it keeps doing it, I might have to. It's only frozen up/rebooted 6 times now.

It started happening after the Google+ & Google Earth updates yesterday; was working great until those. I feel like its related to Google+ somehow.... I will see if it does it anymore now that the app has been reverted.

gburns

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So I am having an issue this morning - random freezes and reboots.

The first time was on Facebook (after I had been using the tablet for over an hour). Had to hold the power button down to reset it. Since then, it has frozen and auto reset on:
Facebook (again),
About Tablet (settings)
Facebook (3rd time)
Chrome (before displaying any pages)

All of this occurred within the past hour or so.

There was an update for Google Earth and Google+ this morning. Also I used Google+ Hangout (and the camera) for the first time this morning.

What do our think is causing this and how do I fix it? I'm not overly knowledgeable about android, so any help would be appreciated!

About my Nexus: not rooted, only have these apps:

Android Central Forums
Angry Birds
Chase
Dead Trigger
Final Fantasy III
Google Drive
Google Earth
Google +
MX Player
Pogoplug
SlingPlayer (Tablet)
Tapatalk
The Weather Channel
Windup Knight

did you update the device?

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
did you update the device?

Yes, all updates have been done. Except I have now reverted Google+ to its previous version - the new version seems possibly related to the freezing.

I also use the stock Google+ widget, if that matters.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well crap. Not the Google+ update. Frozen again, this time while being in the switcher screen. I decided to do a factory refresh and start again... is that as good of refresh as I can do?

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Aaaannnd double crap. I did a factory reset and reinstalled most of my apps, etc.... just froze/rebooted again! I really wanna like this tablet, but this is getting really annoying.

Unless anyone has any better ideas, I guess I'm gonna exchange it at Sam's tomorrow; Its pretty useless when it randomly freezes like this. :-(

(I don't think I can convince my wife to switch to Android OS at this point)

Last edited:

poisonfreeg

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the same prob on my nexus 7. Tried the uninstalling of the apps and even done several factory restarts. Still random freeze/reboot. Not sure what's causing it.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been having the same prob on my nexus 7. Tried the uninstalling of the apps and even done several factory restarts. Still random freeze/reboot. Not sure what's causing it.

I ended up returning the problematic Nexus 7 the day after I had made this post. I finally convinced myself to give one another shot yesterday (2 weeks later). The 2nd one seems to be working fine. I am assuming something was corrupted in the firmware.

Sesami

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine was fine till today. Froze randomly while I was on the home screen and again later when I took it out of standby mode. Hope it's not a hardware problem.

ccrsems5

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
By any chance are you all using a case with magnets? Mine never rebooted, but would go black. Lock screen showed, and notifications pulled down, but unlocked to a blank screen for about a minute, then back to normal. I reset several times, kept happening. I was using a case with magnets to shut it on and off. I have switched to Google official case with no magnets... and knock on wood, hasn't occurred in days. Just a thought.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
My screen just froze tonight at the lockscreen. Can't even power off. Held down the power button and volume control buttons and tried to get to recovery mode but it wouldn't boot back up. Tried it again plugged into a computer with a USB and got the android open with a red exclamation mark. Called Google store tech assistance and the guy tried to walk me through recovery but it still wouldn't boot up.

I have to send it back for a replacement. It was working great and I just got back from vacation with it. It went bad from one hour to the next.

I have been using a case with magnets for about a week. No problem until now.

Bummer.

smthomas66

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue as Richard_RSP. Almost word for word. I have messed with the thing enough and will be getting a replacement. It's good to know at least that it's something that may be an issue that will get a firmware fix soon. The more that get returned with this issue the faster the update. I hope it doesn't happen on my next device. This will be my third. The first one had a dead pixel line two days after receiving it. I think this will be my last try. I love the Nexus 7 when it works. I've never had a device break like this let alone two within two weeks of their purchase. Jelly Bean may have lots of bugs they are finding out. At least they seem to happen right away. With my luck now the next one will have the screen separation issue.

ngasang

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
My n7 same as above. Every time I go into settings, apps its restarts after a few sec. So something is corrupt.

don't see much point returning it if it is a software issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz