Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Random freezing/rebooting on my Nexus 7... :-(

So I am having an issue this morning - random freezes and reboots.

The first time was on Facebook (after I had been using the tablet for over an hour). Had to hold the power button down to reset it. Since then, it has frozen and auto reset on:
    Facebook (again),
    About Tablet (settings)
    Facebook (3rd time)
    Chrome (before displaying any pages)

All of this occurred within the past hour or so.

There was an update for Google Earth and Google+ this morning. Also I used Google+ Hangout (and the camera) for the first time this morning.

What do our think is causing this and how do I fix it? I'm not overly knowledgeable about android, so any help would be appreciated!

About my Nexus: not rooted, only have these apps:

Android Central Forums
    Angry Birds
    Chase
    Dead Trigger
    Final Fantasy III
    Google Drive
    Google Earth
    Google +
    MX Player
    Pogoplug
    SlingPlayer (Tablet)
    Tapatalk
    The Weather Channel
    Windup Knight

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Those all seem like pretty legitimate apps to me. This would suck but I would suggest deleting one app and using the tablet till it happens then rinse repeat till you find the offending program.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I uninstalled Facebook before the last reset (so im not thinking it was the problem) and just uninstalled the Google+ update (its ugly anyway). All has been good for the last 30 min or so....

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Both are legitimate apps so I wouldn't think its anything nefarious. Most likely just a corrupted download.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: Random freezing/rebooting on my Nexus 7... :-(

Ok, FB doesnt seem to be the problem. I am thinking it's Google+ (perhaps the Widget?)

After receiving a small OS update to the Nexus 7 last night (after the Google+ update earlier yesterday), I decided to try to update Google+ again. Didn't use it much last night but all was good until about 30 min ago. Sure enough, same thing: freezing and rebooting. (This time it did it while trying to swipe away running apps).

Since then, i have once again removed the update to Google+ (we will see if that fixes it). I realized that I have had the Google+ widget on my homescreen, so I wonder if that may be causing some issues (since I actually haven't been using Google+ when it freezes).

You may have gotten a lemon. Every line of products have them. So far, I've had no problems with anything on the N7. I would call Google or try to exchange the device at the retailer you bought it from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyrolls View Post
    You may have gotten a lemon. Every line of products have them. So far, I've had no problems with anything on the N7. I would call Google or try to exchange the device at the retailer you bought it from.
    Too early I think to blame the device. Seems like Google+ update issue, but we'll have to wait to see if there are more reports of this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

^ I hope its not that serious, but if it keeps doing it, I might have to. It's only frozen up/rebooted 6 times now.

It started happening after the Google+ & Google Earth updates yesterday; was working great until those. I feel like its related to Google+ somehow.... I will see if it does it anymore now that the app has been reverted.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richard_rsp View Post
    So I am having an issue this morning - random freezes and reboots.

The first time was on Facebook (after I had been using the tablet for over an hour). Had to hold the power button down to reset it. Since then, it has frozen and auto reset on:
    Facebook (again),
    About Tablet (settings)
    Facebook (3rd time)
    Chrome (before displaying any pages)

All of this occurred within the past hour or so.

There was an update for Google Earth and Google+ this morning. Also I used Google+ Hangout (and the camera) for the first time this morning.

What do our think is causing this and how do I fix it? I'm not overly knowledgeable about android, so any help would be appreciated!

About my Nexus: not rooted, only have these apps:

Android Central Forums
    Angry Birds
    Chase
    Dead Trigger
    Final Fantasy III
    Google Drive
    Google Earth
    Google +
    MX Player
    Pogoplug
    SlingPlayer (Tablet)
    Tapatalk
    The Weather Channel
    Windup Knight

did you update the device?
    George
    was Stormfail
    then: HTC Incredible...NOW BIONIC
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    did you update the device?
    Yes, all updates have been done. Except I have now reverted Google+ to its previous version - the new version seems possibly related to the freezing.

I also use the stock Google+ widget, if that matters.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

Strange. I use both on the device and its fine. Must be an odd bug somewhere.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Well crap. Not the Google+ update. Frozen again, this time while being in the switcher screen. I decided to do a factory refresh and start again... is that as good of refresh as I can do?

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Aaaannnd double crap. I did a factory reset and reinstalled most of my apps, etc.... just froze/rebooted again! I really wanna like this tablet, but this is getting really annoying.

Unless anyone has any better ideas, I guess I'm gonna exchange it at Sam's tomorrow; Its pretty useless when it randomly freezes like this. :-(

(I don't think I can convince my wife to switch to Android OS at this point)

Last edited by richard_rsp; 07-17-2012 at 09:37 AM.

I have been having the same prob on my nexus 7. Tried the uninstalling of the apps and even done several factory restarts. Still random freeze/reboot. Not sure what's causing it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by poisonfreeg View Post
    I have been having the same prob on my nexus 7. Tried the uninstalling of the apps and even done several factory restarts. Still random freeze/reboot. Not sure what's causing it.
    I ended up returning the problematic Nexus 7 the day after I had made this post. I finally convinced myself to give one another shot yesterday (2 weeks later). The 2nd one seems to be working fine. I am assuming something was corrupted in the firmware.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

Mine was fine till today. Froze randomly while I was on the home screen and again later when I took it out of standby mode. Hope it's not a hardware problem.

By any chance are you all using a case with magnets? Mine never rebooted, but would go black. Lock screen showed, and notifications pulled down, but unlocked to a blank screen for about a minute, then back to normal. I reset several times, kept happening. I was using a case with magnets to shut it on and off. I have switched to Google official case with no magnets... and knock on wood, hasn't occurred in days. Just a thought.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

My screen just froze tonight at the lockscreen. Can't even power off. Held down the power button and volume control buttons and tried to get to recovery mode but it wouldn't boot back up. Tried it again plugged into a computer with a USB and got the android open with a red exclamation mark. Called Google store tech assistance and the guy tried to walk me through recovery but it still wouldn't boot up.

I have to send it back for a replacement. It was working great and I just got back from vacation with it. It went bad from one hour to the next.

I have been using a case with magnets for about a week. No problem until now.

Bummer.

I had the same issue as Richard_RSP. Almost word for word. I have messed with the thing enough and will be getting a replacement. It's good to know at least that it's something that may be an issue that will get a firmware fix soon. The more that get returned with this issue the faster the update. I hope it doesn't happen on my next device. This will be my third. The first one had a dead pixel line two days after receiving it. I think this will be my last try. I love the Nexus 7 when it works. I've never had a device break like this let alone two within two weeks of their purchase. Jelly Bean may have lots of bugs they are finding out. At least they seem to happen right away. With my luck now the next one will have the screen separation issue.

My n7 same as above. Every time I go into settings, apps its restarts after a few sec. So something is corrupt.

don't see much point returning it if it is a software issue.

Same issue-random freezes and dark screen. Can't find a pattern to it. It's happened on two units. Great device-when it works. Unfortunately, that's not good enough. Hope Google/Asus figures out the problem soon. It not, I'm on to my third and final Nexus 7.
    Very disappointed.

Same issue here. Had N7 for 2 weeks now and crashing all the time, in various apps or even just in settings screen. Sometimes it crashes out to home screen but most of the time it restarts (sometimes full restart with Google logo, most of the time just flashes the 'X' color logo and restarts) Have to wait a while for wifi to reconnect every time so is a real pain to use. Going to see if I can get a replacement.

Same problem here. Had mine about a month or more, and the problem started just before Christmas. Randomly freezes then reboots. Thought it might be because of rooting, but others with non-rooted ones are having the same problem.

Just before it happens, the system slows down a lot. Returning to the home screen sees it taking quite a while before the app icons appear. At that stage I have tried removing the running apps by swiping them from the list, but it is still just a matter of time before it freezes and reboots again. Should I be taking this thing back to the store?

BTW, I have been using a cover with a magnet ever since I got my Nexus 7, so could that really be an issue?

Tim

I too have this problem only I get it most prolific with YouTube. It'll stop buffering through the video, somewhere around the 50%-75% mark and then it just stops. If I slide the buffer bar to the side it does nothing. Then if o tap the back button it freezes and gives the message YouTube is not responding. It's not like a major problem but I can't figure out why it does it. Same thing happens on Chrome from time to time. I've updated but it still happens.

Before when I installed TubeMate my Nexus kept going blurry on videos, freezing and then restarting. I did a factory reset and took TubeMate off, so far a month later and I haven't had restarting issues. Just the freezing.

Also strangely enough I downloaded some wallpapers off Chrome (not Play Store) and those pictures now misbehave, I can't delete them either. A file occurred is all I get. I'm guessing Android is quote succeptable to glitches and possibly viruses, though AVG and Outlook haven't found anything worrying.

By the way, when I force an App to close and I get the message it may misbehave - what exactly does this mean?

Hi, I have a nexus 7 and i have bought a keyboard cae with a nexus 7 otg cable: however when i kept wiggling it about in the charger port (the charger slot in the nexus) and it kept shutting it down. I looked online and searched for what the problem might be but couldnt find no answer. After a while i stopped using it and now my nexus keeps opening and closing apps and google chrome and keeps closing and freezing itself and im really getting annoyed. Ive checked for a virus with the 'anti virus for android' and there is no virus . do u have any idea whats wrong ?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast