An Apple user's impressions of the Nexus 7 & Jelly Bean

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing about battery percentage. My brother has an iPhone 4. I got an iPhone 4S in November, even though I'm a big Android fan. When he played around with my 4S, he asked me how I got the battery to show a percentage, lol. So yeah, it wasn't always default on iOS.

navoid

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Also an iPad user and now a nexus 7 owner.
Used to have the original ego, now on an iPhone.

So the nexus 7 is light years ahead of my old evo. I'm loving the home keys on the bottom and task switching. In all it feels very fluid, similar to the iPad.

Typing feels a bit unatural , bit too big for portrait, and too small to see the screen while typing in landscape.

Pluses- fast fluid, great screen, and I think it holds its own against the new ipad screen.

Negatives- way too many issues with apps not being compatible. Also it was a pain to get orientation to unlock in some apps. App selection leaves something to be desired, and I am still getting used to the app store. Which isn't bad otherwise.

Overall, I think the form factor is excellent. Reading on it is great. And Way easier to hold than an iPad for now. I guess I still miss the apple ecosystem of it just works, and every app works intuitively.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I prefer Android is because I get to make it my own. I can change what it looks like, and even change the user interface simply by downloading another UI onto the device if so desired. So I don't expect it to look and act like I want out of the box because no one is just like me. We all get a shot at what WE want.

There are many widgets and apps that have been developed to show battery percentage. Google is no doubt aware of this. Shipping the product with the percentage built in immediately puts these developers out on the roof if not severely cutting into any profit they may make.

There are many app categories like this. Google could do it, but others have all ready done it, and thus are supporting the application platform. I like being able to pick the battery widget I like and putting it on the home screen I want it on, rather than having it built into the phone.

I do agree that users should be the ones to decide which orientation and tablet presentation style they want. This could be accomplished by adding options in the setting menu. Users select the orientation and the tablet style. Some of our selections may not look or work well with the apps we use but at least we can change it at our will.

If we really want this to happen we need to email Google or post on Google+...If they see an outcry for this type of thing perhaps they will include it in an upgrade. They listened when it came to high res contact photos right?

Reactions: jfriend33

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
On the screen rotation thing, you might be able to change this if you install a different launcher. I can't test it yet, as mine isn't here yet......:mad:......but I know in Nova Launcher, you can set the screen to auto-rotate. I have my Gnex set up that way on Jellybean. Works great, and Nova is actually faster than the stock launcher (by a mile if you go into "look and feel" and set everything to "Faster than light").

Just a thought. Give it a shot and see if that does the trick. I'll try tomorrow when mine gets here.

Rick83

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind when you buy a Google product with the word Nexus that means its pure Google without the bells and whistles. I don't have any experience with other ICS devices but I assume they have different launchers. I like the Nexus line because i can choose the bloatware i want to full fill my needs. For some who wants bells and whistles out of the box I wouldn't recommend a Nexus.

Bethany Smith

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who shared their own opinions and advice. After getting some rest this morning I spent most of the afternoon & evening tinkering around with it even more. One of the reasons I chose the Nexus 7 was because of Jelly Bean and the pure Google experience. I've come to accept that's exactly what I got. I'm just going to have to continue to make it my own through whatever means necessary. (Even if that means rooting lol.)

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post though was something I was hoping to get help with. When I initially plugged my Nexus into my Macbook Pro, nothing happened. It didn't recognize it at all. I came to find out that I needed to install a program called "Android File Transfer" in order for them to get along with one another. I messed with it a bit, but I have some questions if anyone is willing to help with them.

On my iPad I can move files back and forth over wi-fi and never have to tether it with a USB cable. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Nexus 7 and a Macbook Pro using the Android File Transfer software? I've tried researching it myself but have come up empty handed.

The other question I wanted to ask was how do I transfer some of my ebooks over? In the Android File Transfer software window, I can see folders for all the other media except books. Does this mean I can't move my e-pub collection over to it, or does it mean I have to root it to get this functionality?

Thanks again to one and all.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Nice thing about Android is you can customize it so much. If you don't like the stock launcher with the rotation lock, then try Nova Launcher, it looks stock, but adds some features like home screen rotation and being able to add more rows and icons. Elixar 2 adds toggles to the notification bar, it also can add a battery percentage indicator to the system menu.

I mostly use the cloud (Dropbox) to transfer files between my PC and Android. Sometimes I use ES File Explorer, not sure if that works with Macs or not.

Rick83

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I use a program called File Expert, probably the best file browser app I've found. I can copy files back and forth and stream media between devices. I don't own a Mac but I assume you can configure some sort of file sharing service that this app could detect. I have two NAS devices on my network and this was able to connect to them without any special configuration.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I would just like to say that all platforms have differences and nuances of their own. I used my Mom's Iphone 4 for a few days a while back and it dove me CRAZY. I just couldn't do anything I wanted to do, and the lack of widgets really ground my gears. Interfaces on mainstream devices like Samsung's touchwiz and HTC's sense are designed for users like yourself who want "out of the box" ease of use. Vanilla android, not so much. It's more for the exact opposite of "out of the box" people. I would suggest that if you know anybody who is well versed with android, that you have them set it up, so it does everything just the way you want it, because believe me, it CAN do everything an Ipad does more, just not out of the box.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I think your gripes are pretty small and nitpicky to be honest.

You can change the entire launcher, which cannot be done on any Apple device. Almost all of the substitutes, such as Nova Launcher handle homescreen rotation with ease. There are dozens of apps that give battery percentage. I prefer it to not be on the status bar, so I use Switch Pro, but many free Apps do this for you.

I own the iPad, and am incredibly frustrated that I can't change any of the user experience. I like to display the current temperature on the status bar. Can't do that in iOS. Stuck with the awful keyboard, too. No real system for file management, either. And, of course, no Widgets... and you had to wait until iOS 5 to finally be able to silence it overnight.
I have Downcast on my iPad for podcasts, but it is nearly worthless, since it cannot download podcasts overnight... Apple limits the time apps can run in the background. The stifling limitations go on and on.

On Android, I can find an app to modify anything. Ford Sync in my car can launch Pandora or Slacker or Stitcher while the phone is in my pocket. If I had an iPhone, I couldn't, because Apple doesn't allow it. I have Tasker that allows me to automate all kinds of setting changes that Apple would never allow an app to do.

Your experience with the hardware is unfortunate. My Nexus 7 was perfect. I don't think yours is the norm. Certainly not something worthy of comparison, or we would have to mention yellow screen spots or antennagate. :)

I agree with Cory. Give it some serious time, and don't let those little gripes keep you from exploring more. I have lots of experience with both, and there really is no comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I've come to accept that's exactly what I got. I'm just going to have to continue to make it my own through whatever means necessary. (Even if that means rooting lol.)

You'll hear the term "rooting" a lot around here, but it's almost never necessary. Don't be so quick to jump on that boat.

When I initially plugged my Nexus into my Macbook Pro, nothing happened. It didn't recognize it at all. I came to find out that I needed to install a program called "Android File Transfer" in order for them to get along with one another.

Yeah, Android uses a USB standard for file transfer, but, since it's been rare to find devices using it, support is scarce. It's unfortunate that Google has to bite the bullet here, but it is for the best in the long run.

On my iPad I can move files back and forth over wi-fi and never have to tether it with a USB cable. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Nexus 7 and a Macbook Pro using the Android File Transfer software?

This has been covered by a few people, but I think you are going to find that Dropbox, or maybe even Google Drive, are going to be your best solutions for most items. For movies, you'll probably still want to use a cable.

The other question I wanted to ask was how do I transfer some of my ebooks over?

No need to root! The Google Books application is not very good. I'd recommend you install Alidko, Mantano, or MoonReader+ (I personally use Aldiko). Each is available in a free and paid version, and there are many other readers out there.

If you want the best experience, you should probably install Calibre as a library manager and set up the catalog service (sorry, I don't have a link handy). It'll take you about ten minutes one time, but your experience after that will be much better.

Also note that if your ePub books came from Apple you are pretty much out of luck. The Apple DRM locks you into Apple devices only.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
On my iPad I can move files back and forth over wi-fi and never have to tether it with a USB cable. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Nexus 7 and a Macbook Pro using the Android File Transfer software? I've tried researching it myself but have come up empty handed.

Try Wifi File Transfer Pro. There is a free version available you can try for small files. It sounds like just the package you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lfeuln

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded an app called Air Droid on my Galaxy Nexus. Used it to transfer the most recent Adobe Flash apk to my computer and it was very easy. Haven't loaded computer files to the Nexus but I'd expect it to be just as simple. Assuming it's also compatible with the Nexus 7 I'd give it a shot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I would also note that Android is relatively new,

Um no, Android went open source the same year the iphone launched. Apple clearly matured and polished way faster however, but all these big companies all had "mobile" on their minds for a long time, make no mistake.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I find that chrome kind of sucks in this tablet. It seems to download pages quickly enough but scrolling and zooming in complex pages is too jerky, slow and unresponsive a lot of the time. I also have a problem witg scrolling anywhere in the OS. While it is usually smooth, it is difficult to scroll lists with any speed at all. This seems to be the exact opposite of any android phone I use where I often find it scrolls too fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
comparing apples to oranges.....but when ifail produces this type of hardware at this price point then it would be a good comparison. Of course, Apple only wants you to do what they tell you to. hmmm...

Wish is why I'm on Team Android now!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I also came from and iPad after upgrading from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S3. Android nearly has all the useful apps on the Apple ecosystem, but the problem is the limited number of tablet apps. On the iPad there are amazing apps like GoodReader, Notability, and Air Video. I've been trying to find good replacement apps like those for my Nexus 7 but each PDF reader/editor (to replace GoodReader or Notability) I download is a letdown. I tried using Emit (to replace Air Video) and it is awesome when it works which is only 50% of the time. If you guys have any recommendations please let me know. Other than those few select apps I am very happy with the Nexus 7. The smoothness of the iPad is nice, but not necessary and really doesn't matter too much anymore with Project Butter.

Like the poster above me said, Chrome is very buggy though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I also came from and iPad after upgrading from an iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S3. Android nearly has all the useful apps on the Apple ecosystem, but the problem is the limited number of tablet apps. On the iPad there are amazing apps like GoodReader, Notability, and Air Video. I've been trying to find good replacement apps like those for my Nexus 7 but each PDF reader/editor (to replace GoodReader or Notability) I download is a letdown. I tried using Emit (to replace Air Video) and it is awesome when it works which is only 50% of the time. If you guys have any recommendations please let me know. Other than those few select apps I am very happy with the Nexus 7. The smoothness of the iPad is nice, but not necessary and really doesn't matter too much anymore with Project Butter.

Like the poster above me said, Chrome is very buggy though.

Absolutely adore Good Reader. Plan on using Google Drive to replace it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not JB that doesn't rotate, it's the N7 that doesn't.

So beyond that your big gripe is that you can't see a battery percentage. Well I do root and put custom roms on so I get a percentage, but right now on my GN i'm just rocking stock JB so i'm back to no %, guess what when the indicator is half full i can assume it's around 50% and if I really need to know exactly, I can just go to settings and battery and it will tell me exactly. It will also tell me what is using the most battery.

But if that is your biggest gripe then you just don't WANT to like it.