Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60
  1. #26  
    vzwty's Avatar

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    That's most definitely why it doesn't work. The nexus doesn't put out enough power to run it. Basically it only works with thumb drives/microsd.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Ahh makes sense. Just ordered a 64gb flash drive for movies while on the go and no WiFi connection.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    Men, tales 30 seconds to install the app. I have a 120 gb flash drive that works great. Not trying to be quarrelsome, but I'm pretty sure that 100 dollar tablet is garage compared to your nexus, despite what it can do with otg.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    My point is I have built a home docking station for tablets with wireless keyboard&mouse, a 500gb external hard drive, 23" touch screen monitor, and a powered USB 4 port HUB. Mostly for my 6 year old son to use as an Android desktop. Of the 15+ tablets I have tested only the Nexus7 has issues. That fact is alittle depressing. It will likely be fixed with a software update.

    Sorry the tablet was $130 I edit my post and included a link.
  3. #28  
    bovineyard's Avatar

    Posts
    53 Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.02 Rooted

    Default

    It works fine if you are rooted, and have stick mount installed.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #29  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramirez1900 View Post
    This not truth bc i use a OTG usb with keyboard,Thumb drive etc and all work find without root on nexus 7, so give it a shot yourself. assuming doesn't work.
    I was reffwring to storage.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    My point is I have built a home docking station for tablets with wireless keyboard&mouse, a 500gb external hard drive, 23" touch screen monitor, and a powered USB 4 port HUB. Mostly for my 6 year old son to use as an Android desktop. Of the 15+ tablets I have tested only the Nexus7 has issues. That fact is alittle depressing. It will likely be fixed with a software update.

    Sorry the tablet was $130 I edit my post and included a link.
    Don't bet on it being fixed with a software update. The only reason it doesn't work without an app is because Google intentionally disabled it. The whole reason they sold a tablet with no SD SD with basically zero profit was to get you to use Google play/their cloud.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  6. #31  
    Sesami's Avatar

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    I got my OTG cable recently, mainly for the purpose of using my Playstation 3 controller with my Nexus 7. However, it seems that the tablet does not recognize the controller. I got it to work briefly last night, but when I tried it again today, it went back to not working. I've seen several different things happen when I plug the controller in.

    1. The lights on the controller start to blink. The tablet does not read the controller.
    2. No lights go off and nothing happens.
    3. No lights go off, but the controller works (only happened once).

    I've tried with 3 controllers so far. I'm not sure what I did differently to get it to work last time but I'm getting really frustrated! Seems like other people can just plug it in and it'll work. I've plugged and unplugged it a lot of times now and same results.
  7. #32  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Mine just got in and it is defective. The USB into the nexus is too long and won't lock in. The stock charger is on the left. Works if held in place. Guess I'll try again and order.


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  8. #33  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Mine just got in and it is defective. The USB into the nexus is too long and won't lock in. The stock charger is on the left. Works if held in place. Guess I'll try again and order.


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    That sucks man. I got a good one from Fry's for 4 bucks.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    If you really don't want to root, the Kingston Wi-Drive works very well. I've loaded a couple of movies and lots and lots of photos - and they can be accessed from my phone, my Asus Transformer, and my Nexus 7. And all at the same time! - sheureka
  10. #35  
    oxymoron's Avatar
    It's been real...

    Posts
    1,428 Posts

    Default

    I just ordered one of these. We'll see how it goes when it gets here.
  11. #36  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheureka View Post
    If you really don't want to root, the Kingston Wi-Drive works very well. I've loaded a couple of movies and lots and lots of photos - and they can be accessed from my phone, my Asus Transformer, and my Nexus 7. And all at the same time! - sheureka
    The Kingston wi-drive is great, I personally love it. But for a lot of people it's 4 bucks vs 70 or so.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Mine just got in and it is defective. The USB into the nexus is too long and won't lock in. The stock charger is on the left. Works if held in place. Guess I'll try again and order.
    Can you say where you got it from so others can avoid? Thanks.
  13. #38  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Can you say where you got it from so others can avoid? Thanks.
    Amazon. One of the many cheap ones. I paid $2 from wowparts.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  14. #39  
    kenyee's Avatar

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Mine just got in and it is defective. The USB into the nexus is too long and won't lock in. The stock charger is on the left. Works if held in place. Guess I'll try again and order.
    Is this the Sanoxy one off Amazon Marketplace?
    Some of the reviews mentioned the connector is too long and it's loose as well as facing up because the N7's connector is reversed too...
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    Bought an OTG on amazon for $0.68 and it works perfectly. The micro usb is really long but it ensures it fits into any device. Plugged in my wired xbox 360 remote and it worked immediately without root. Just configured to emulators and games and good to go. Ordered a 32gb thumb drive and waiting to test. From the forums I've gathered that anything above 32gb has caused issues but a post above said that a 100gb stick worked so who knows.
    Thanked by:
  16. #41  
    vzwty's Avatar

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnb5531 View Post
    Bought an OTG on amazon for $0.68 and it works perfectly. The micro usb is really long but it ensures it fits into any device. Plugged in my wired xbox 360 remote and it worked immediately without root. Just configured to emulators and games and good to go. Ordered a 32gb thumb drive and waiting to test. From the forums I've gathered that anything above 32gb has caused issues but a post above said that a 100gb stick worked so who knows.
    My 64gb didn't work either

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #42  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    Is this the Sanoxy one off Amazon Marketplace?
    Some of the reviews mentioned the connector is too long and it's loose as well as facing up because the N7's connector is reversed too...
    Yup. The seller wowparts was awesome and refunded me the $2 without issue and didn't want the cable back.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  18. #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnb5531 View Post
    Bought an OTG on amazon for $0.68 and it works perfectly. The micro usb is really long but it ensures it fits into any device. Plugged in my wired xbox 360 remote and it worked immediately without root. Just configured to emulators and games and good to go. Ordered a 32gb thumb drive and waiting to test. From the forums I've gathered that anything above 32gb has caused issues but a post above said that a 100gb stick worked so who knows.
    Don't you have to root the tablet though for a thumb drive to work?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #44  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    i am still unclear, can you use the usb adaptor WITHOUT rooting to see usd drives etc or do REQUIRE rooting. its not clear to me. i'd like to move over WORD files to my 16gb N7 every so often.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    So which one from amazon definitely works with the n7 without rooting?
  21. #46  
    dpridgen's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    i am still unclear, can you use the usb adaptor WITHOUT rooting to see usd drives etc or do REQUIRE rooting. its not clear to me. i'd like to move over WORD files to my 16gb N7 every so often.
    Yes, it requires root in order to mount a USB stick or drive. There are, however, many other ways to move a file to the device without mounting a usb drive. WiFi drives, Airdroid, mounting the device to your computer, dropbox, google drive, email, etc, etc.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    Yes, it requires root in order to mount a USB stick or drive. There are, however, many other ways to move a file to the device without mounting a usb drive. WiFi drives, Airdroid, mounting the device to your computer, dropbox, google drive, email, etc, etc.
    so how come people are saying on here that rooting isnt necessary?
  23. #48  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    so how come people are saying on here that rooting isnt necessary?
    Member was talking about wi-drive not needing root as its just a WiFi hard drive that you can load stuff to and pull the files off of but costs almost $100.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 OTG USB

    16 gb is actually about $40.
  25. #50  
    vzwty's Avatar

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    so how come people are saying on here that rooting isnt necessary?
    Rooting is also not required for a wired Xbox or ps3 controller.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B