Shipping debacle point of view from a iDevice guy

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
This Nexus 7 will be my first Android device. As much as I'm a Gmail guy, I latched on to iPhone from second generation (3G) onward, and the iPad as well. The Android experience has never been as exciting up until ICS. And with what I saw for Nexus 7, I finally thought it was an good way for me to test Google's answer to iOS.

So, naturally, I ordered one the day it was announced. And like a majority of the people, I was eagerly waiting for my shipping information. And if we're on this forum, then we're a geeky bunch who love our devices, and there is nothing wrong with hitting refresh more than once ;) So, what happened?

Did Google do anything blatantly wrong in a business/legal sense? No.
Did they screw this up? Most definitely.
Is the general population going to realize this? Probably not.

Google may be a techno giant, but they don't understand the first thing about selling or releasing a product. The whole point about pre-orders has been that those of us willing to take a chance with new devices will be rewarded with first deliveries. I now find out that Gamestop, Sams and a few others have the device? Also, since I get charged tax anyway, I end up paying extra to get my device later? Makes no sense to me. And, only today, is my tracking number showing any movement.

As far as the two day shipping refund some people were talking about? I first thought it was going a bit overboard. However, when I look at the tracking information, this is what I get:
"Order Processed: Ready for UPS" 07/11/12. Hmmm, let's read that again: "Ready for UPS" What happened between the 11th and today. In this respect, I could argue that I should at least get the cost of two-day shipping returned to me.

Any iDevice, I've ordered in the past has shown up on my doorstep the day it was supposed to be released. I even got one a day before the Apple store, Best Buy or any other retailer did. Heck, I was even able to track my iPhone from China to my doorstep.

Naturally, I won't judge Android on a screwed up release experience by Google, but it certainly is not a good first impression.

Again, Google did nothing wrong by any standard definition of retail. Yes, it was released in the "2-3 Weeks" as stated on their website. It simply boils down to Google ruining the joy for some of us geeks.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as the two day shipping refund some people were talking about? I first thought it was going a bit overboard. However, when I look at the tracking information, this is what I get:
"Order Processed: Ready for UPS" 07/11/12. Hmmm, let's read that again: "Ready for UPS" What happened between the 11th and today. In this respect, I could argue that I should at least get the cost of two-day shipping returned to me.

It sounds to me like they're charging you for Second Day and giving you the equivalent of Amazon's free Super Saver shipping. We're 5 days past the 11th.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
That's more than some of us have gotten. No email. No change in Google Wallet. No credit card hold. Nothing on my end.

Zikeji

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I think it went wrong on Google's end just the way it went wrong for Staples pre-orders. They had way more than expected. Staples experienced issues and scared us becaue of that. I ordered from Staples on the 9th(didn't have the money before than or else I would have ordered it the day it was available). I have tracking and it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

Honestly, it seems to me like Google is having major internal issues because of it. As previously mentioned, they aren't experienced in this field. They need to hire someone skilled in this field to manage it.

bayourock

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I think it went wrong on Google's end just the way it went wrong for Staples pre-orders. They had way more than expected.

Google definitely should have the ability to see how many Play Store orders are made. If there were. Ore orders than they were expecting, then B&M stores should have never received any N7 til all preorders were fullfilled.

I am in the same boat as the OP... Long time iOS user, deciding to take a stab with the N7... I'm eager to learn and use Android.... Google is not making it easy on themselves to try to convert some of us.....

The Pre in Preorder means getting your item first... Obviously Google doesn't understand that term.... Instead we all just made regular orders.... Oh well....

bayourock

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I just left my local Sam's Club.... They have 10 - 16gb N7 in stock right now.... Just waiting to be purchased... Crazy!!!

Meanwhile, many ppl here is still waiting on their preorders!!!

You shouldn't be sending inventory out to B&M Stores until you've fullfilled all your preorders first!?!?!?!

Chisaki

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
To see how unhappy people are with Gloogle because of their preorders, read the over 1200 page thread over on xdadevelopers forum.

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I just left my local Sam's Club.... They have 10 - 16gb N7 in stock right now.... Just waiting to be purchased... Crazy!!!

Meanwhile, many ppl here is still waiting on their preorders!!!

You shouldn't be sending inventory out to B&M Stores until you've fullfilled all your preorders first!?!?!?!

Agreed. And remember, we payed extra because no matter whether you order it online or buy it at the store you pay taxes. So, in essence Google charged me 2-day shipping so I could have it after lots of people and 6 days after it UPS got a tracking number.

kevinnugent

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Plus the fact that it seems like the 8GB devices are being shipped before the 16GB ones, and anyone who ordered a case too is behind both those queues.

Shipping notices are only now starting to filter through here in Australia. So, *if* you get a Fedex email today, you won't receive it now until Thursday pm at the earliest. I haven't had ANY feedback or notices from Google on my 16GB (no case) ordered 27/6.

I'm sorry Google, but you had better learn from Apple on these sorts of releases.

EnDroidable

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
That's more than some of us have gotten. No email. No change in Google Wallet. No credit card hold. Nothing on my end.

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm expecting it to be here Thursday the earliest and next week Monday the latest because I just don't think it will be here on Wednesday anymore.

Edgong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sort of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the rental car. You know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation. In this case you know how to take the pre order, you just don't know how to ship it out first.

bayourock

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Sort of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the rental car. You know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation. In this case you know how to take the pre order, you just don't know how to ship it out first.

lol.... Great Seinfeld reference.....

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I walked into a Game-Stop yesterday on a whim and asked if they had an N7. The clerk asked if I was interested in purchasing one. I said sure and voila, I walked out with a brand new gadget. It's sweet. I guess I missed the bus on the hype for this bad boy.

FWIW, it seems to be totally worth the wait so keep your chins up. :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670