Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By greatgoogly
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Amazon spokesperson confirms talk w/ Google about selling Nexus 7

Amazon's spokesperson confirmed that the company is in talks with Google, Inc
    regarding the possibility of Amazon selling the Nexus 7 from its own warehouse.

Link to report:
    Amazon 'in talks' with Google over Nexus 7 | News | TechRadar

I've always believed that the Amazon Kindle Fire doesn't necessarily compete with
    the Google Nexus 7. People who are Android nerd(i.e. anybody reading this forum)
    aren't going to buy the Kindle Fire if they want an Android tablet. The Nexus 7
    for us Android nerds who want the best/newest/coolest Android tablets. The Kindle
    Fire is not being sold as an Android tablet.

Default Re: Amazon spokesperson confirms talk w/ Google about selling Nex

I'll probably be able to order it from Amazon and have it in my hands before Google gets their heads out of their backside and ships me the N7 I pre-ordered.
    dparrothead1 likes this.

Why wouldn't they sell it? They are a content company. The best thing they can do is get tablets in as many hands as possible. Regardless of who's tablet it is. Then make a better kindle app for android and an instant video app... Oh, and an actual amazon store app that works on jellybean. They can sell content to far more people than if they relegate themselves to just the fire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    I'll probably be able to order it from Amazon and have it in my hands before Google gets their heads out of their backside and ships me the N7 I pre-ordered.

nobody has a better or more reliable shipping/distribution system than Amazon...
    not on this planet anyway.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Actually they should both get together and merge the Fire and Nexus 7 so to speak - keep the pure Android experience but include a truly high powered Amazon content widget.

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    nobody has a better or more reliable shipping/distribution system than Amazon...
    not on this planet anyway.
    I second that!

Also, I agree. I keep seeing the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire being labeled as competitors. I guess on some level they are because they are both 7 inch tablets that can perform some of the same tasks. However, after I started using my Nexus 7, my girlfriend, who has a Kindle Fire that I got her for Christmas last year, showed some interest, but then went back to her Kindle Fire as happy as could be. For her, it's more about the Amazon content. She has a large library of books, pays for Prime and soaks up her media fix that way. She's not really concerned about everything else. There's probably a larger percentage of people then we think that are the same way.

Amazon would be silly not to sell the Nexus 7. I'd wager they sell more (or at least a comparable amount of) books to folks using the Kindle app on their mobile device or ipad/android tablet than they sell to folks who actually own a kindle.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

too bad there's nothing new about Google buying Netflix and incorporating them into the Play Store...

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Google should have just let Amazon do the launch. At least, they're competent at logistics....

Amazon would have been a powerful partner. Gamestop could have handled it as well. If Google had reached out to these stores sooner they could have off loaded a lot of the work.

Then again we were somewhat misguided to order from Google anyway. I did it as a test sort of. I fully expected my nephew's model from Gamestop to get here sooner and I wasn't surprised. A little disappointed maybe but not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    too bad there's nothing new about Google buying Netflix and incorporating them into the Play Store...
    Why would they want to do that? Why would you want it? Does the Netflix app not work well enough?

Play store is PPV rental. Netflix will not have any part of that. They were built on subscriptions and will die if they try to change.