I guess Corning Fit Glass is not the same as Gorilla Glass

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm so paranoid about the screen, that until I get my Zagg Invisible Shield, I'm leaving my Nexus 7 in the plastic cover it came in.
Yes, I'm that paranoid.

Reactions: cordoni

gburns

May 3, 2010
Visit site
GG cost more $$ than this stuff, it was a matter of saving money here to add features other places. Also, side note...GG has been around since like the 60's I think, but they never had a use for it til Apple made the iphone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is a brand name/model (formula) of reinforced glass. It's what everyone thinks of when they hear a phone has scratch-resistant glass, much like people think 'frisbee' when referring to what others simply call a 'flying disc.'

I don't know Corning's product line, but I suspect that Gorilla Glass is simply their premier product, and that the Corning Fit Glass is a more basic model with lower price but sacrificing something in terms of scratch resistance/thickness/flexibility.

Gorilla Glass is almost ridiculously scratch-resistant, but after a couple of years carrying my GG-equipped phone in my pocket with keys and change, I did suffer two small scratches. The N7 will be taking less daily abuse by nature, but it is still worth considering protection unless you are exceedingly careful and would not be bothered by slight scratches should they occur.

As to how a finger could cause a scratch on a harder surface, it would be by unintentionally sliding a particle or mote of debris of some form across the glass that was hard enough to etch it.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the Kindle Fire have Gorilla Glass?

I don't see how people are scratching them anyway, not by using them anyway. use either a stylus or the fat of your finger. Don't put in your pocket, don't toss you car keys on top of it, don't cut onions on it, and it should be fine. I've never scratched any device and I had a DS for years. In my experience cracks and scratches aren't from use but as I said above, storage and accidents.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My screen still looks amazing. However I just placed my order for the Invisible Shield from Zagg. Just the screen cover.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the Kindle Fire have Gorilla Glass?

I don't see how people are scratching them anyway, not by using them anyway. use either a stylus or the fat of your finger. Don't put in your pocket, don't toss you car keys on top of it, don't cut onions on it, and it should be fine. I've never scratched any device and I had a DS for years. In my experience cracks and scratches aren't from use but as I said above, storage and accidents.

I put it in an empty pocket, and it's gotten scratched. I've done nothing that I think should have scratched it. It seems like very "soft" glass.

myhui

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Funny you should mention cutting onions on your tablet ... give that idea to the group behind the hilarious Annoying Orange series of comedy on You Tube and they'll have a lot of ideas on where to take that.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, it ain't scratch resistant though I haven't put it through the onion test! Don't complain if yours scratches and it wasn't protected because you were warned!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm so paranoid about the screen, that until I get my Zagg Invisible Shield, I'm leaving my Nexus 7 in the plastic cover it came in.
Yes, I'm that paranoid.

I just sling this bad boy in my back pocket and listen to the sound of my pocket button clank on the screen. I am very careful with my screens but have never used a protector. If you need to shine the screen and hold it at an angle to see a micro scratch, you're trying to hard. Is $250.00 bucks, enjoy it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Steinheil ultra crystal screen protector. Google this and order your 2 pack for 13 bucks. Goes on dry so it is very easy to apply. Looks and feels like glass once it's on. My boss did not believe me that there was a screen protector on.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed mine is scratched as well. Damn. No idea how.I have a pouch and have only left the house with it twice. Well guess I'm ordering one too

Guineaa

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Pretty soon the device becomes $300 with all the screen protectors. I think people would have just paid 300 if it actually came with Gorilla glass. Screen protectors inevitably create a filter effect on your screen.

mkuslak

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I carry mine all over the place, usually in my pocket. No scratches thus far. Somehow I had managed to scratch my galaxy sII screen back when I had it. It was a tiny scratch, but it was definitely there. Currenly I have a galaxy nexus and the nexus 7, neither have GG and both are scratch free.