Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I guess Corning Fit Glass is not the same as Gorilla Glass

Just noticed a few thin scratches on my Nexus 7. It surprised me since my EVO LTE and my Galaxy Tab have received much more abuse and their glass screens are in pristine form. Anyway, just a heads up!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 3:

Default Re: I guess Corning Fit Glass is not the same as Gorilla Glass

Thanks for the heads up. I don't usually do screen protectors because on my other devices they have proven unnecessary but I will probably look into one for my Nexus 7 now.
    ... but I still miss WebOS

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9

I ordered screen protectors from Amazon last weekend. Would be cool if they show up the same day as my N7.

I preordered the Zagg Invisible Shield, they ship later this week.

So, I see a Zagg shield in the future for mine too then. I love Zagg products, they are almost indestructible. Just ordered a Zagg skin for mine.
    Last edited by kdskinner; 07-17-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Thanked by:

Disappointing to hear. Amazon Kindle Fire uses Gorilla Glass and when I sold mine to get my N7 the screen was pristine. Guess the glass was one of the places Google/Asus saved money to keep the price down.
    Daniel0418 likes this.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

I noticed the same thing. Kind of annoyed, looks like I need a screen protector as well.

ROM
    CM 9.1

Any cheap, but good screen protectors? I can't see myself shelling out $30 for a screen protector.

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

What have you guys been doing to scratch the glass. Mine still is in pristine shape.
    paulm64 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Using it...

Anyway, don't misunderstand me. I'm not dissing it; it's that as I expected it to be as resistant as Gorilla Glass I know some others think the same. Again, I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for about a year and that thing hasn't even a single scratch though I've abused it (even falling asleep with it on my hand and having it hit the floor it doesn't scratch). Meanwhile I just got the Nexus 7 on Friday and it has two or three tiny scratches.

Last edited by silverthornne; 07-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    Using it...

Yikes. I'll take a better look when I get home, but I can't imagine scratches just from finger use.

Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    Just noticed a few thin scratches on my Nexus 7. It surprised me since my EVO LTE and my Galaxy Tab have received much more abuse and their glass screens are in pristine form. Anyway, just a heads up!
    Thanks for the heads up.

That's why I use a rubber tipped stylus. Your fingernails are surprisingly tough compared to plastics.

A fingernail is around 2.5 on the Mohs hardness scale. Ordinary glass is around 5.5.

If fingernails scratch Corning glass...
    Glass: You're Doing It Wrong
    nexususer99 likes this.

Then how are they scratching them? They aren't using diamonds for a stylus I assume. Although that would be cool.

I'm assuming the screen isn't glass but I don't know. I do know that with plastics you have a wide range of scratch resistance. Some plastic lenses are scratched by paper towels which would most certainly be a 1 or less on the mohs scale.

in short, what is this corning glass and how tough is it really.

Is it even glass?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

It feels much firmer than and quite smooth so I assume it's glass.

Gorilla Glass is made by Corning Glass. Go to there website and there is a bunch of information on it.

Google comment. "Update: Actually, there's no Gorilla Glass in the Nexus. It's just scratch resistant glass, Google told us."

I can't find any information on the "Fit Glass by Corning". I guess that is where the details on hardness etc will be.
    Last edited by vedwardsiii; 07-17-2012 at 04:34 PM.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

The Asus Nexus 7 page says "Corning Fit Glass.

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Nexus/Nexus_7/#specifications

Some of us thought that it was a Gorilla Glass variant. From my experience I guess that just means that the glass on the screen was somehow cut, hence "fit" by Corning.

Last edited by silverthornne; 07-18-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    Any cheap, but good screen protectors? I can't see myself shelling out $30 for a screen protector.
    I don't know if this helps but Incipio has always included screen protectors for free in all the cases I've bought from them. Those protectors have been great quality and my favorites of all time. I'm waiting to see if they release a Feather case for the N7. Until then I'm being super careful. I've had all 3 iPads and never had a single scratch anywhere on them so if this thing gets a scratch I'm gonna be upset.

I'm so paranoid about the screen, that until I get my Zagg Invisible Shield, I'm leaving my Nexus 7 in the plastic cover it came in.
    Yes, I'm that paranoid.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

GG cost more $$ than this stuff, it was a matter of saving money here to add features other places. Also, side note...GG has been around since like the 60's I think, but they never had a use for it til Apple made the iphone.
    George
    was Stormfail
    then: HTC Incredible...NOW BIONIC

Gorilla Glass is a brand name/model (formula) of reinforced glass. It's what everyone thinks of when they hear a phone has scratch-resistant glass, much like people think 'frisbee' when referring to what others simply call a 'flying disc.'

I don't know Corning's product line, but I suspect that Gorilla Glass is simply their premier product, and that the Corning Fit Glass is a more basic model with lower price but sacrificing something in terms of scratch resistance/thickness/flexibility.

Gorilla Glass is almost ridiculously scratch-resistant, but after a couple of years carrying my GG-equipped phone in my pocket with keys and change, I did suffer two small scratches. The N7 will be taking less daily abuse by nature, but it is still worth considering protection unless you are exceedingly careful and would not be bothered by slight scratches should they occur.

As to how a finger could cause a scratch on a harder surface, it would be by unintentionally sliding a particle or mote of debris of some form across the glass that was hard enough to etch it.

Maybe I should keep in in a large ziplock baggie.
    dougiefresh66 likes this.

Doesn't the Kindle Fire have Gorilla Glass?

I don't see how people are scratching them anyway, not by using them anyway. use either a stylus or the fat of your finger. Don't put in your pocket, don't toss you car keys on top of it, don't cut onions on it, and it should be fine. I've never scratched any device and I had a DS for years. In my experience cracks and scratches aren't from use but as I said above, storage and accidents.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast