The Got My Nexus7, but I'm not wowed as I thought I'd be thread

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I was an impulse buyer after Google IO. Bought 2 of these puppies and now on arrival I realize the screen is so tiny I'd rather call it a reader than a tablet.

Also, I haven't been impressed with the display.

Also, I have remorse now that I have the device and its questionable that I may ever be able to mirror instead of lugging the laptop around to pop netflix to a big screen.

Also, the lack of landscape when I want it is really irritating.

smh.

Anyone else have some second thoughts after its somewhat too late?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: The Got My Nexus7, but I'm not wowed as I thought I'd be thre

I think I was an impulse buyer after Google IO. Bought 2 of these puppies and now on arrival I realize the screen is so tiny I'd rather call it a reader than a tablet.

Also, I have remorse now that I have the device and its questionable that I may ever be able to mirror instead of lugging the laptop around to pop netflix to a big screen.

smh.

i really like it. having said that, i'm not sure that i'm "wowed" by it, probably because I have a Transformer Prime with dock and I can connect it to my TV via HDMI and play 3d games or any game for that matter (shadowgun THD with PS3 controller on a 3d TV is amazing). I hate that Google took away the ability to connect to the TV by HDMI and I suspect this is a ploy to sell more Nexus Q units. Sorry I can't see myself forking over that kind of money for a Nexus Q that really doesn't do anything that I can't already do.

As far as landscape, it rotates just fine in apps, and if you want the home screen to rotate just install a launcher such as Nova or Apex.

Reactions: TheIowaKid

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Well, mine is a slightly different story. I am an iOS user who has tried several 7-8" Android Tablets in an attempt to find a more portable solution, while 'shopping' for a new OS:

I tried:
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy Tab Plus
HTC Evo View 4G
Blackberry Playbook (I know its not android)
Motorola Xyboard 8.2
and now the Nexus 7.

Out of all of these, there was some sort of problem - usually with something not working correctly, being not worth the money, being too slow, or just plain lacking content (playbook).

The Nexus 7 is BY FAR the fastest and smoothest of the (non-iPad) devices that I have tried. I liked the form factor, I liked the speed, content was great. BUT I ended up returning it today (to Sam's Club) due to the fact that I had continuing random restarts and freezes. :-/ While I understand that the Nexus line is utilizing the youngest version of Android OS, (no matter how young or cheap it is) I need a tablet to work fine out of the box.

Even though I have an iPhone and an iPad, I'm not an Apple fanatic. I like being able to have a flexible system and like to tinker with my user interfaces (I mean, gosh look at how much I have TRIED Android!). But I need a phone/tablet to be reliable, and that's the one thing Apple has been.

So as BADLY as I wanted this Nexus 7 to convince me that I can rely on Google and the Android OS for my families electronic devices, it doesnt appear that has happened. (as a matter of fact, my wife is more anti-android now... so that doesnt help).

I havent decided if I am going to try a 2nd one. I understand that things happen in production, and I may have gotten a lemon. But so far, the Nexus 7 release / quality has not wow'd me as much as I had wanted it to, either.

Last edited:

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

i really like it. having said that, i'm not sure that i'm "wowed" by it, probably because I have a Transformer Prime with dock and I can connect it to my TV via HDMI and play 3d games or any game for that matter. I hate that Google took away the ability to connect to the TV by HDMI and I suspect this is a ploy to sell more Nexus Q units. Sorry I can't see myself forking over that kind of money for a Nexus Q that really doesn't do anything that I can't already do.

As far as landscape, it rotates just fine in apps, and if you want the home screen to rotate just install a launcher such as Nova or Apex.

The Transformer is a REALLY hard act to follow. There is no comparison between it and the Nexus - they are totally different animals. The Nexus isn't perfect, but it's a really good tab and an excellent price. Wowed? No. It's a computer. If it was a young Barbara Eden, I'd be wowed :)

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

smh.

Easy! If you don't like it send it BACK!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I think I was an impulse buyer after Google IO. Bought 2 of these puppies and now on arrival I realize the screen is so tiny I'd rather call it a reader than a tablet. Also, I haven't been impressed with the display. Also, the lack of landscape when I want it is really irritating. Anyone else have some second thoughts after its somewhat too late?

Not one bit of remorse at least so far and I've been hitting it hard. There are a few things I'm not crazy about but it beats the Kindle hands down (and yes, I know the Kindle isn't a tablet). This is also my first tablet so maybe I'm to easily impressed. Display on mine is fantastic and you can turn on the rotation in the settings. There are some apps that don't comply with rotation and some that don't do the pinch/zoom thing. I thought about going w/a bigger tablet but decided I would need to big of a purse to carry it around and this size so far suits me just fine. At this point I'm having a hard time putting it down, LOL!

No single product is going to please EVERYone 100% is one thing that comes to mind.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

The Transformer is a REALLY hard act to follow. There is no comparison between it and the Nexus - they are totally different animals. The Nexus isn't perfect, but it's a really good tab and an excellent price. Wowed? No. It's a computer. If it was a young Barbara Eden, I'd be wowed :)

I haven't looked but guessing the Transformer is quite a bit more expensive and for me, the N7 is just what I wanted *especially* for the price. I wasn't even considering a tablet until this one came along because I could buy it and not feel the pain in my wallet.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

Oh I agree completely. The only thing that can totally replace the Prime is the Infinity (which I have my eye on). My only gripes with the Prime is the wifi reception and occasional lag/stutter but I would think Jelly Bean will take care of the latter issue. There are things I really like about the Nexus 7, especially the display, size, and speed of the newer Tegra 3 teamed with Jelly Bean. I guess my only issue is convincing the wife that I need both :D

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I haven't looked but guessing the Transformer is quite a bit more expensive and for me, the N7 is just what I wanted *especially* for the price. I wasn't even considering a tablet until this one came along because I could buy it and not feel the pain in my wallet.

Yeah you're looking at about $500 plus $150 for the optional keyboard dock/trackpad which is a must have accessory to me as it nearly makes the Transformer a laptop replacement. That said a device like the Nexus 7 makes $500 tough to swallow for any tablet when it is as capable as it is for that price.

MinistrOfJustiz

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I never bit on a tablet before because I know I'm not going to be able to replace the notebook computer with one. So, the 10" tablets are too big to be portable and too expensive for an entertainment convenience device.

For me, the Nexus 7 is hitting the points I want a tablet to hit. Portable; good for browsing, email, and some gaming; a price I'm willing to swallow for a toy.

No tablet can replace my TV for movie viewing. I'm not looking to ditch the Xbox for serious gaming. I'll never want to live without a keyboard for heavy productivity. So I couldn't justify the bulk and price of ADDING a 10" tablet to my stable when nothing is coming out of it. The Nexus 7 was the toy I was waiting for.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Wow'd? Maybe not. After all, it's still a 7" device. And the pixels are still just big enough that you can see them.

That said, I still love it. And I honestly think it represents tremendous value.

If you don't like it, why not send it back?

moss27

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

My first real tablet/smartphone was the BB Playbook last November and it blew me away at the time. Then I got the Galaxy Nexus phone a month ago and realized what I was missing out on (was using an LG Rumour 2 for years). The Nexus 7 doesn't feel as amazing to me because its so similar to the Nexus phone that I already have played around with for a month now. But I still don't regret buying it.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It's an improvement over the Fire, no argument, but, coming from GNex, there's no wow factor. I'm not even impressed with Jelly Bean.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

I guess my only issue is convincing the wife that I need both :D

That's easy. You buy it for her. Then just borrow it as often as need be.

Or you can manage to get horribly lost one day and then when you finally find you way back home act astonished to learn that the Nexus has GPS. Add that you need a GPS unit for each of you. It's only for safety of course. You'd never spend the money otherwise but the thought of your precious wife lost in the dangerous crime riddle streets is just too much to bear.

area223

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Just smaller in actual use than expected. I think I had the illusion of more corner to corner screen from Google IO.

-Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well maybe you'll get used to it, hopefully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums