Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tqmcguire
  • 1 Post By Ravynmagi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

Default Screen Color Temp

I just wanted to see, for those of you who have yours already obviously, what you thought about the screen and it's color temperature. I don't know if it's just because I've been looking at my GS3's SAMOLED for the past couple weeks, but I feel the color temperature on the Nexus 7 is way too warm and that the contrast is not very good at all.

Default Re: Screen Color Temp

The color saturation is horrible. It's not even that it's too warm, it's just bad. Running the same game on my 3rd gen iPad, HTC One X and Nexus 7 side by side and the Nexus 7 is washed out. Greens are poor, reds are poor, blues are poor, just muted colors all around. It's a shame because I love this tablet, it's just not very colorful.
    Guineaa and kgi4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tqmcguire View Post
    The color saturation is horrible. It's not even that it's too warm, it's just bad. Running the same game on my 3rd gen iPad, HTC One X and Nexus 7 side by side and the Nexus 7 is washed out. Greens are poor, reds are poor, blues are poor, just muted colors all around. It's a shame because I love this tablet, it's just not very colorful.
    To be fair to the tablet its is a rather "premium" budget tablet. The HTC One X is known for its amazing screen and so is the new pad, so of course they would have better screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftspyder View Post
    To be fair to the tablet its is a rather "premium" budget tablet. The HTC One X is known for its amazing screen and so is the new pad, so of course they would have better screens.
    Being fair, the display is not unusable by any means. In everyday use, emails, Twitter, Facebook, etc, it's fine. But it's JUST fine. I understand that a $250 tablet won't have a display comparable to the $600 iPad or $600 HTC One X but this seems like more of a settings issue than a limitation of the display itself. In their review The Verge also mentioned that colors looked washed out. I'm disappointed, but like I said, it's not unusable, things just don't have any "pop" at all.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tqmcguire View Post
    Being fair, the display is not unusable by any means. In everyday use, emails, Twitter, Facebook, etc, it's fine. But it's JUST fine. I understand that a $250 tablet won't have a display comparable to the $600 iPad or $600 HTC One X but this seems like more of a settings issue than a limitation of the display itself. In their review The Verge also mentioned that colors looked washed out. I'm disappointed, but like I said, it's not unusable, things just don't have any "pop" at all.
    I think you're comparing high end IPS vs. low/medium end IPS. I have the same issue when comparing my e-IPS screen w/ a high end IPS screen even though they're calibrated.

If you consider it unusable as it is, compare it w/ another one and if it's the same, return it. The SAMOLED displays are worse than your OneX, so you'll be disappointed in those too, so avoid them too.

Android really needs color profile support...but that needs LUTS in the graphics chips and I don't think they're there yet...

Grays and whites look very neutral on mine. My bionic is noticeably blue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm hoping this is a software calibration issue that can be fixed with a patch.
    kgi4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    I think you're comparing high end IPS vs. low/medium end IPS. I have the same issue when comparing my e-IPS screen w/ a high end IPS screen even though they're calibrated.

If you consider it unusable as it is, compare it w/ another one and if it's the same, return it. The SAMOLED displays are worse than your OneX, so you'll be disappointed in those too, so avoid them too.

Android really needs color profile support...but that needs LUTS in the graphics chips and I don't think they're there yet...
    That's what I was saying, it's disappointing compared to the high-end displays. As a $250 device, it's a passable display, I just wanted more pop from the colors. It's definitely NOT unusable. I think since I'm giving up my iPad (my wife has been begging for a replacement for her 1st gen iPad and I wanted the Nexus 7... win-win) I was just MORE disappointed than I would've been just taking it on its own merit. It's certainly a great tablet, but color profiles would be even greater.

My Tab 2 7.0 that I returned in order to buy the Nexus had a decent, not great screen. A little washy and colors off a bit. "Soft" is how I'd describe the screen.

I really liked that Tab 2 a lot and was really going back & forth whether to give it up for a Nexus. The enhanced resolution on the Nexus is what made me make the choice.

If I find the resolution/colors not good on the Nexus, I very well may return it and go get another Tab 2, even if I have to eat a re-stocking fee. (have not received mine yet)

The Samsung Build Quality was superb, I mostly use a Tablet for reading and watching videos so the Quad Core is not a must have for me. I'd likely root the Tab to see if I can get a performance boost.

Also, the way the Nexus is sellling, Samsung might just be discounting their 7" Tablets in the very near future.

So, bottome line - once I receive the Nexus if the video is only equal to the Tab 2, I might just switch and get back intp the Samsungs really solid, build quality which should give me many years of solid service.

Time will tell....

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vanilla

My N7 has a very distinct yellow tint. Kinda like how the first Galaxy Nexus's did when the first batch went out. Is this what you guys are referring too? My new Gnex has a very good screen. When compared the colors on the N7 are just too washed out. Safe to say are all like that? Or I have a defective unit?

So, what do guys think the odds are that this display color issue can be fixed with a software update?

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Papadakis View Post
    I've been looking at my GS3's SAMOLED for the past couple weeks, but I feel the color temperature on the Nexus 7 is way too warm.
    FYI, SAMOLED displays are wayyyyy too blue/cold...
    Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Super AMOLED Plus vs Super AMOLED: to the PenTile matrix and back
    http://androidforums.com/captivate-s...ue-whites.html

Contrast can't be matched w/ SAMOLED because SAMOLED has no backlight...when you see black on SAMOLED, it's really black/zero. On IPS displays, the backlight is still on so you have to turn brightness wayyyy down to see nearly black...

I just got my 16GB this morning, and am very pleased with the contrast and color temp. I just loaded a graphic of the SMPTE Color Bars (color test used from day 1 for color TV), and they come out EXACTLY as I would expect. In case you're wondering, SMPTE stands for the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

I'm using an app called Display Tester to evaluate my display.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....displaytester

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

The default color temp isn't bad but isn't great. Certainly not as bad as the gnex's default, lol.

I'm just waiting for some custom kernels with color control, then I'll be able to tweak it nicely. For now it's def not bad tho, looks much better with the brightness down around 30% give or take, IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys, I created a thread called "Nexus 7 screen: yellow colour cast" that may help
    this problem.