Gray, flickering, terrible screen? Share your story in here.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I came home all stoked to play with my Nexus 7 that UPS had left, but the moment I powered it up and saw this:

...my heart sank. Image burn-in, a bright gray glow all over everything, total epic fail. It's hard to see in the cell phone snapshot, but here how the same photo I took looks on my color-calibrated monitor and on the N7:

While I waited on hold with Google Play's auto-callback, after 20 minutes I noticed the screen was looking MUCH better. No haze, saturated colors; I fired up Transformers 3 and it looked good. Downloaded a comic book and that looked good. Weird. Did it just need to warm up? (I'm old enough to remember such concepts.) Any hopes that was the case when the screen timed out and the moment I turned it back on, I could see it was jacked up as before.

After over 45 minutes on hold, I got a guy who sounded harried and said they'd been getting a LOT of calls about this and he asked me to hold. He came back after a couple of minutes and asked if the CSSN number of the box's label ended in "1617." Mine did and he told me that someone from Google would have to contact me to arrange a replacement and it may be a couple of days - probably the end of the week. Lovely.

I don't know if this CSSN # is a batch number indicating the have a bad bunch of screens or whether they were verifying that I was calling about the one on my account, but that's my story. Anyone else got a screen issue tale to tell?

kdskinner

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You will love the screen on your Nexus when you finally get a replacement. It is really nice although the displayed area is just a bit smaller than my wife's Kindle Fire the resolution is much better. Saturation seems about the same to me as she has on her Kindle Fire and it looks as good or better than I have on my iPad 1.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The auto-brightness does flicker a bit in some situations. Doesn't bug me much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The screen is the only thing I'm slightly disappointed with.

Mine also had a lot of ghosting when I first turned it on. And after half an hour or so the ghosting seemed to go away. But the colors still seem washed out, the contrast doesn't look right, light grays look too light (such as on this forum).

My CSSN doesn't end with those number.

I can live with it. But the screen seems kinda mediocre to me. If this isn't normal, I may contact Google about it later after things settle down.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Also I don't even try to use auto brightness. This seems to suck on any Android device I've ever owned, it always goes way too dark.

igjoe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks like mine is flickering during video playback... It's not super noticeable, but I'm picky with my screens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can live with it. But the screen seems kinda mediocre to me. If this isn't normal, I may contact Google about it later after things settle down.
Definitely do so. The screen is one of the things the reviews touted as being so good, so to settle for a substandard display - especially when the Great iSatan is pushing Retina displays like crazy - is to say that quality isn't important and you'll willingly pay for what you don't actually get.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just saw another issue with my screen. So far it's happened twice, one row of pixels will flicker, then go back to normal. Worried that row of pixels might be getting ready to die.

EnDroidable

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My screen is also flickering like mad, its a bit disappointing, but I will see if it goes away after a while if not I will return it and get another one.

Guineaa

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, what high resolution? Small text on this thing is more blurry than my 12 inch 1280x800 HP elitebook with ClearText viewed from the same distance. I think it's a text rendering problem on Android.

I gave Apple a lot of grief when they made Retina display the selling point for the "New" Ipad, but you know what, they really mean high resolution.

EnDroidable

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys just am update the screen isn't flickering anymore for now after charging it up to 75 percent with auto brightness enabled. Will let u know if it starts doing it again.

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The screen is the only thing I'm slightly disappointed with.

Mine also had a lot of ghosting when I first turned it on. And after half an hour or so the ghosting seemed to go away. But the colors still seem washed out, the contrast doesn't look right, light grays look too light (such as on this forum).

My CSSN doesn't end with those number.

The washed out colors is what I noticed right off the bat. I was a bit taken back, then I downloaded a game I also play on my 3rd gen iPad and it's just horrible. The colors are hideous. Sitting my HTC One X beside it, both with the stock pink, purple, teal, yellow Jelly Bean wallpaper it's REALLY bad. Definitely went light on the red but even the blues are more muted. I wonder if this can be fixed with a software update. I sure as hell hope so. I LOVE this tablet but the colors are hideous.

Silken1987

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The auto-brightness does flicker a bit in some situations. Doesn't bug me much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've noticed this as well. I think I may have to switch it off as everytime it flickers I think there is a fault with the screen, clearly being paranoid lol.

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
So just to confirm of what I'm reading...you guys are perfectly OK with paying over 200 for a defective piece of equipment, "it's not that bad and I can live with it".

Seriously? I have a wonderful bridge in San Francisco for sale it's a bit old and needs a coat of paint now and then but I am willing to part with it. Let me know if you are interested.

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
So just to confirm of what I'm reading...you guys are perfectly OK with paying over 200 for a defective piece of equipment, "it's not that bad and I can live with it".

Seriously? I have a wonderful bridge in San Francisco for sale it's a bit old and needs a coat of paint now and then but I am willing to part with it. Let me know if you are interested.

Well regarding my washed out colors and somewhat blurry text. I think I'm worried that this just might be normal and getting a replacement would just be a waste of time.

If I got it at a retail store and they had replacements on a shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to get it replaced. But having to call Google, sit on hold forever, get the RMA number, box it up, go to the UPS store, wait a week or two for the replacement, then to only find out it's got the same issue. Ugh, that would really suck. So that is why I'm thinking about living with it for now.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
If I got it at a retail store and they had replacements on a shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to get it replaced. But having to call Google, sit on hold forever, get the RMA number, box it up, go to the UPS store, wait a week or two for the replacement, then to only find out it's got the same issue. Ugh, that would really suck. So that is why I'm thinking about living with it for now.

See if there's another Nexus 7 owner nearby and look at theirs...or stop by a local gamestop or staples or best buy, etc...

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Well regarding my washed out colors and somewhat blurry text. I think I'm worried that this just might be normal and getting a replacement would just be a waste of time.

Agreed. I was looking forward to this device big time. Probably for the same reason the rest of us gadget geeks wanted it, but there are way too many complaints for a new launch. Starting with the whole mess that google made with shipping. Since Google is releasing the Nexus brand to others, I may just wait and see what "The Others" (as in Lost) do for us. I'm hoping for a HTC branded Nexus or Samsung. The only thing I am still finding appealing about this, the price point. Cannot be beat.