Google Wallet - $10 Again?

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I had it on my GN, side loaded Wallet (VzW). Spent about $9.50, activated on my GN7, I have another $10.00. Mind you I'm not complaining just a little surprised.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Valkryn

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
According to other forum members, you can use it without being connected to wifi. It should update the balance the next time you are connected.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have $50 on my Galaxy Nexus, and now I have $10 on my Nexus 7.

I'm all about the extra $10, but it'd be nice if Google could just merge it all and I'd have $60.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's due to the device ID. If you had "replacement" devices you'd still get a new $10 with each device. For some reason, it's not linked to your Google/Gmail profile.

Reactions: anon(580888)

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's due to the device ID. If you had "replacement" devices you'd still get a new $10 with each device. For some reason, it's not linked to your Google/Gmail profile.

Unless I'm missing something here, that sounds pretty annoying and an oversight on Google's part. I would essentially have to deposit money into two separate cards, and each card is only accessible on one device.

What if I lost my Galaxy Nexus (that has $50 in its Wallet), and bought a new GNex? It sounds like I'd have to contact Google Wallet to get the money tied to the old Nexus back, as re-activating on the new Nexus would only get me $10 and not my original balance.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something here, that sounds pretty annoying and an oversight on Google's part. I would essentially have to deposit money into two separate cards, and each card is only accessible on one device.

What if I lost my Galaxy Nexus (that has $50 in its Wallet), and bought a new GNex? It sounds like I'd have to contact Google Wallet to get the money tied to the old Nexus back, as re-activating on the new Nexus would only get me $10 and not my original balance.

Now that I do not know--i've never actually put money into it. I just know that with each unique device ID comes $10.

I_Am_Incredible

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Don't think it's a device ID thing... At one point i just loaded a different ROM and I got pushed back up to $10 . . . Big loop hole there for Google.

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't think it's a device ID thing... At one point i just loaded a different ROM and I got pushed back up to $10 . . . Big loop hole there for Google.

Wow that's pretty crazy. I don't want to take advantage of Google and flash a new ROM to get 10 free bucks whenever I want (nor do I want to go to jail for theft of some kind, which I imagine would be a federal crime due to this transaction being across state lines... sorry, Criminal Justice grad so I ramble), but I do want to know that my Google Wallet is indeed interoperable between my Nexus devices. Doesn't make sense for me to essentially own two Google Wallets

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Never had that happen and I've flashed dozens of times on the same device. Maybe it was a bug or you didn't actually withdraw from the prepaid?

Wow that's pretty crazy. I don't want to take advantage of Google and flash a new ROM to get 10 free bucks whenever I want (nor do I want to go to jail for theft of some kind, which I imagine would be a federal crime due to this transaction being across state lines... sorry, Criminal Justice grad so I ramble), but I do want to know that my Google Wallet is indeed interoperable between my Nexus devices. Doesn't make sense for me to essentially own two Google Wallets

Read my comment above :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hiyo...

Flashing a new ROM typically changes your Android Device ID (which, nowadays fyi, TiBu actually lets you change back afterwards if you want).. but the Android Device ID has nothing to do with wallet, and don't everyone go flashing ROMs because you think you'll get a new $10, lol. As dmmarck said, we've flashed hundreds of ROMs between us on our Gnex's and our Wallet balance remains the same each time... however, getting a new device that has a new "hard" ID does seem to give people a fresh $10 spot. Happened to dmmarck a few times if I'm not mistaken, hasn't to me yet as I've had my original Gnex since launch.

Now.. if you are activating Wallet on your new device using the same Google/Gmail.. it should carry your balance over, in theory.. although to be honest I'm still rough on those details so I don't want to say anything I'm not sure about. In any case my Nexus 7 should be here some time today at which point I'll be testing this out for myself and I'll let you know what I find.

Hope that answers some questions/confusion and probably caused a little more...lol :)

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Now.. if you are activating Wallet on your new device using the same Google/Gmail.. it should carry your balance over, in theory.. although to be honest I'm still rough on those details so I don't want to say anything I'm not sure about. In any case my Nexus 7 should be here some time today at which point I'll be testing this out for myself and I'll let you know what I find.

I can tell you for a fact that the balance does not carry over. Well at least not in my case (hopefully it's just an error as more people with balances test it out and offer their results). A new card was created and everything (the last 4 digits on the card of the GNex is different from the Nexus 7 card). So theoretically I have $60, although $10 is only accessibly on the Nexus 7. God forbid I deposit money on the Nexus 7, or I'd only be able to access it there.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hiyo...

Flashing a new ROM typically changes your Android Device ID (which, nowadays fyi, TiBu actually lets you change back afterwards if you want).. but the Android Device ID has nothing to do with wallet, and don't everyone go flashing ROMs because you think you'll get a new $10, lol. As dmmarck said, we've flashed hundreds of ROMs between us on our Gnex's and our Wallet balance remains the same each time... however, getting a new device that has a new "hard" ID does seem to give people a fresh $10 spot. Happened to dmmarck a few times if I'm not mistaken, hasn't to me yet as I've had my original Gnex since launch.

Hope that answers some questions/confusion and probably caused a little more...lol :)

Yes, I got to test it out on 4 separate devices, so this is coming from real world experience (unfortunately lol).

I can tell you for a fact that the balance does not carry over. Well at least not in my case (hopefully it's just an error as more people with balances test it out and offer their results). A new card was created and everything (the last 4 digits on the card of the GNex is different from the Nexus 7 card). So theoretically I have $60, although $10 is only accessibly on the Nexus 7. God forbid I deposit money on the Nexus 7, or I'd only be able to access it there.

The only time my balance did not transfer over was with my 4th GN.

Reactions: 2defmouze